Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Potentially dangerous mistake in March RV Magazine
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Potentially dangerous mistake in March RV Magazine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Interestingly, the magazine does not make that very easy. I searched all over for a "contact us" type link and found none”

Difficult for most publications! They don’t want to hear from readers.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 03:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

I wonder if the editor is an experienced RVer or just responsible for verbs, punctuation and sentence structure?

Finding one of them would be a good trick in itself. Proof reading has gone the way of the dodo bird.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

I wonder if the editor is an experienced RVer or just responsible for verbs, punctuation and sentence structure?

Realistically, it's just a simples mistake. Mistake yes but nothing nefarious.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched folks do it in that order (Unhook,, watch Trailer roll toward lake. Try to stop it (Fail) thankfully there was dirt and the tong jack dug in and stopped it before splash. then they chocked and re-hooked repositioned and rechocked before unhooking again .

Oh if you do forget.. Grab the break-away brake wire It is not strong enough to stop the trailer from rolling but when the pin comes out of teh clothspin switch .. Brakes ON.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 04:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Well at some point common sense prevents Darwinism. And if you park your trailer on a slope and attempt to unhook it without blocking the wheels on the downhill side, you probably don’t have the mental capacity to do other things required to safely tow a trailer.

In my work I have seen many places where the grade is deceptive. Bell, they sell tickets to houses where water runs up hill. As a general idea, chock front and back of wheels on both sides is best practice.
When setting up camp it is my job to put trailer where she wants it, get it leveled, chocked, and unhooked. Once in hurry to beat dark and rain, I had dropped chocks next to ramp on right side. Backed up on ramp, saw wife bend down near right wheel. I chocked the left side, and hurried to unhook. Coupler off the ball, then sideways into my shin. Wife says "You didn't block this side" But I saw you bend over right there! Thought you did! "The leash was wrapped around Luke's leg." Still have a knot on my shin, from trailer tongue, and on my head from other tongue.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

wildtoad wrote:

Snip...

On edit, did you attempt to report the error?

Yes, I have attempted to report it on several areas including e-mails and Private Messages. No replies as of yet.
Interestingly, the magazine does not make that very easy. I searched all over for a "contact us" type link and found none.
Barney

And that is the problem with the new magazine......no Q&A section. They have made it very hard to contact them.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a reply today and they said they would publish a correction in the April issue of the magazine. Glad they got it and just hope nobody has been or gets hurt in the meantime.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago we were out on a riding trip and one of my buddies blew out his knee on his way over the handlebars. After we took him to the ER, we packed him up and his wife said she could drive the trailer home. I called her that night and she said she didn't know how to back it into their driveway to park it behind the house, so I went over after work the next day to help out.

They had one of those Power Caster electric dollies, so I threaded the needle between their fence and house and got the trailer to the back yard. When it was time to stop, I realized that I hadn't thought things all the way through and had no way to stop the thing. (I learned later that there was a connection to the trailer brakes that I hadn't been briefed on.)

Somehow I managed to use my Fred Flintstone brakes and drag my heels to stop their trailer just in time. Scared the snot out of me.

I think of that freewheeling trailer whenever I unhitch.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prevented one of those disasters a few years ago at a Maryland Campground. We were alread set up and sitting by the fire after dark when the neighbors showed up. Nice 5th wheel being hauled by two nice ladies. They managed to get backed into their site just fine and were having some problems getting unhitched. I'm sitting there watching them struggling to unhitch for about 3 minutes and finally I said to the wife, I can't sit here and watch them roll that thing into the lake. I politely asked if I could help and they gladly accepted.

First, do you have chocks to put under the trailer wheels? Yes! Oh we forgot about them! They put them in place. And then I instructed them on backing up off the pin. You should have seen the look on her face when she reached for that handle and it easily pulled out. I'll bet they never forgot that lesson.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

It's ironic that I always chock my trailer before un-hitching yet none of the trailers at my dealership are ever chocked and none have rolled away (and our yard is not level) even in the severe summer storms. When I'm parking trailers for our RV show at the fairgrounds sometimes the tongue will swing a few inches but that's because the axles are under tension otherwise they stay chockless where I park them.

If something ever does happen, who gets the blame?

I've never been mugged at a 7-11, suppose I never will be.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Potentially dangerous mistake in March RV Magazine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.