cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wix for blogs: Do I start a blog or a website?

Years ago I used to have a website that I ran from my own server, on my own home internet connection. It was OK, low traffic, it worked. But my ISP kept tightening things and I had to keep doing port redirects to make it visible online, and one day I finally just shut it down.

Does anyone here remember my Citation TT rebuild website? It has been offline for at least 10 years.

My wonderful lady created an artist blog with Wix to show her work. I looked it over, did proof reading etc for her and have to say I was amazed at what a technologically challenged lady made on her own with Wix.

I decided to re-write my TT rebuild website with Wix. I enjoy things like that.

The question I have that I really don't know the answer to is this:

Should I create a blog, or should I create a website?

Wix does both within their site, and I don't know the differences in their program and how it works. I will be paying for a domain name through them, whatever I decide to use, so I don't get annoying ads, and I have my own URL.

I started my work by selecting a blank website rather than using their templates. I want to design it myself, keep it simple.

But I don't know, should I have selected start a blog instead of start a website?

Perhaps some of you who are familiar with Wix and blogging / website design could offer input.

Thanks. ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
11 REPLIES 11

Mods are watching new posts for suspicious activity, and take action on members violating forum rules where applicable.

I've seen it from time to time too.
Perhaps a random search for something brought it up. The topic has long been settled, since my website has been up and running for a few months now.
All good!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this forum being infiltrated for some reason?

New members join this forum, comment on some random post from the past, and go dormant. There has been several in the past few months. What's up with this?

Or am I just being paranoid?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Acemam
Explorer
Explorer
That looks pretty interesting

My website is nearing completion. It's been a long haul but I'm getting close now.
13 pages of info on my rebuild. Then 2 more pages, about the author and contact.

I have incorporated a blog into the home page, for the purpose of leaving comments.

All I really have left to do is iron out the comment section, and the contact form page. Need to tweak the blog section too. I am learning as I go.

I have the site published with a temporary URL before I move it to my RV-Rebuild site.

I am not selling anything, therefore no payment or related parts. It is designed for, and will be published as a free resource to help others wanting to effect their own repairs.

Thomasrive
Explorer
Explorer
It really depends on what you want out of your website. If you are planning to make a product that you will sell, then I would suggest you to go with the website that will have a payment system and products listed. However, if you are looking for traffic based income, then a blog spot with useful articles and information is a much easier thing to set up. I started recently my own blog after reading a blog creation article https://afreeadvice.com/how-to-start-a-blog/ . There was much information that you might find useful to have a look at yourself.

I decided to go for it.
New thread here.

Mike, I have been doing some reading on the topic, and as 1492 mentioned, go with a blog if it will be updated regularly.

I'm still working on which way I am going to go for my rebuild site.

We actually have a blog for our life together and our mutual love of the RV lifestyle. Haven't launched it yet, as we are still building it. Takes a while to go back 6 1/2 years and get things in the right order.

And yes, it is fun! I have always enjoyed doing things like that.

MikeDupont
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting thread and timely to my interests. Thanks all for the ideas and info.

((i am looking at making a website that updates our travels so that friends and family can follow us as they like without a constant stream of emails back and forth. i dont really want return traffic and indeed may just password protect it anyway. and, like Bob, just for the fun of doing it.))

Thanks.
The purpose of the site is to bring back online something I had going over ten years ago.

My purpose back then was to learn how to make a website, and to offer help to the scores of people who want to fix their water damaged rigs. It was a practice run for building a family website.

Technology has advanced so much that I put my original thoughts on the shelf. The family website idea was scrapped, because there is a lot of really good genealogy software out there.

So back to the TT rebuild, aside from the personal enjoyment I get out of doing a project like that, the aim is to bring back to life something that can assist many forum members here, and anyone else who happens to find it. I have had a lot of people ask me about it over the years, and have had a few PMs and posts looking for the site.

It will be totally funded by me, with no ads, no commercial venture, no intention of making money from it.

It will be a static site, and likely seldom ever updated once I get it the way I want. It is to help those who don't have the knowledge or confidence to rip into their RV to repair it. Maybe I could run a blog alongside it, still thinking about the logistics of it all.

Wix does have SEO features built in. But I don't care so much about traffic, as it is non commercial. I can point people at it.

I will have a contact page where visitors can reach me. I am considering a feedback feature where comments can be left.

It won't be fancy, just pics and explanatory text. I'll put a link in my sig.

I've not used WIX myself, though if you are planning to update the site often, I'd go with a blog or CMS based format. You will want to post fresh content to drive return traffic. If the site has any commercial aspect to it, you will also want to make sure it's accessible as ADA laws require business websites to do so. A hobby or non-profit site is not required to comply, though not doing so could result on average a 20% loss of traffic. Plus, accessible sites aid in search engine SEO. You may want to research the WIX platform further.

Traditional static websites work for many businesses, where the intent is not necessarily to drive continuous return traffic, but to provide a platform for info and to order sales/services.