Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Some Towing Math and Questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Some Towing Math and Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Polishmagnum

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea I mean that's sort of where I'm at too. I've figured this out 10 ways to Sunday, it all passes except payload, which is debatable. Heck it's all debatable. All the GVWR's and GWAR's and whatnot check out.

Here's the kicker. Tongue weight old trailer = 618 pounds. Tongue weight possible new trailer = 608 pounds. All the other things payload-wise are the same basically, and I've taken that trip already 40-50 times. So on paper, payload is not different than what I've done repeatedly for 1000s of mile. I get that tongue weight old trailer was about 12%, and tongue weight new trailer is say 10 or 11%, but then introduce weight distribution and then....different numbers.

I don't disregard safety in my job, life, or in this case. I've had road issues traveling, typical stuff, deer, traffic jams, evasive manuevers..It was all fine. More weight, more caution, but I don't see anything that says "this is impossible and you're a fool". Could be wrong, could be hit by an asteroid typing this as well.

I still dont know if I'll buy this, alot of wrangling to appease the wife being a light sleeper..haha..Might just find some soundproof blanket material and line the bunk end windows. However if I do buy it, I think it will be ok. I dont live in it, travel relatively light, buy food and beer along the way..etc

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP...there is always the what if (mister murphy) shouters, especially on this forum! Your truck will work! You don't need to have 15% tongue wt, 12% is more than required in most cases.

You will notice a difference between old trailer, and new. It will not be a big issue. Some posters do not even read/understand the specs you posted. Your total length is just short of 31' including the hitch and rear bumper. That is not a huge trailer. Your truck will not break, the sky will not fall. You could get struck by lightning (mr murphy)!

Jerry

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/21 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I double anyone can accurately calculate the percentage of tongue weight, just to many variables between the way folks load and what they hall.

You can calculate a fair guess, which is a good start.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't guess at the capacity, and don't go by opinions on towing capacity, and only look at Trailer Life as a general guide.

Most of what you are looking for is right here: 2017 Ram Towing Charts.

I'm sort of puzzled that Ram has a separate towing guide. Not easy to find. GM has it right in the truck's manual. But at least it's available.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Some Towing Math and Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.