cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Ferry cost to Vancouver Island?

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have fifth wheel trailer. Total length 52 feet (if that’s relevant)
What is the cost of the ferry crossing to the island.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
49 REPLIES 49

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We have been various routes with our Class A and towed vehicle, combined length 56'. Cheapest is from Anacortes in Washington State to Sidney near Victoria. Google "Washington State DOT." Last trip in 2015 was $209 going, $200 return. That included two passengers.
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
thomasgunnar wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
You know the border is closed!
Here is ferry out of Port Townsend, WA.Black Ball Ferry

OP says Highway 16, so he is a BC Mainlander. We are letting them onto the Island for the entertainment value. ( You never know what they are going to do next! 🙂 )

Good old Black Ball! Last time I was on one, it was the space ship Kalakala with Dad taking us all to Olympic campgrounds with the 56 Dodge towing a 16 ft TT.

Highway 16 also in Alberta.

There’s also Highway 16’s in Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.

ivbinconned wrote:

Hy 16 Saskatchewan location.

I think he is from Saskabush.............
Gotta read a little closer Dad.......
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasgunnar wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
enblethen wrote:

OP says Highway 16, so he is a BC Mainlander. We are letting them onto the Island for the entertainment value. ( You never know what they are going to do next! 🙂 )

Good old Black Ball! Last time I was on one, it was the space ship Kalakala with Dad taking us all to Olympic campgrounds with the 56 Dodge towing a 16 ft TT.

There’s also Highway 16’s in Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
"Highway 16 also in Alberta."

No need for this, but just for fun.............

Hwy 16 is 2,859 km (about 1770 miles) long, running from just west of Portage la Prairie, Manitoba thru Saskatchewan and Alberta, then ending in Masset on the north end of Haida Gwaii, BC after a 6 to 9 hour sailing (depending on the weather and sea conditions) from Prince Rupert to Skidegate Landing.

Can get a little lumpy on Hecate Strait. Before more stringent regs, a trip I was on included 60kt winds and 30' seas. Just for fun.
And that was on the Queen of the North--the one that ran into Gill Island and sank.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
If you have pets like we do the BC Ferries on the longer sailings, allow pet owners to go down to the vehicle deck “about” every three (3) hrs to check/ walk the dogs . The also insist you clean up the mess. There were a lot of people “ walking” and checking on there pets like we did. They announced over the PA when the vehicle deck was open for “ pet time”
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

thomasgunnar
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
enblethen wrote:

Chris
2003 F350 CC,4x4,6.0,Zoodad, 3 Pod Pillar Gauges, Sinister Coolant Filter, Scangauge II, Blue Spring Kit
2006 Jayco Eagle 301RLS 33'

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ivbinconned wrote:

lots I am 56 feet long with two people in the cap it was aproximatly 740.00 return. you are 4 feet smaller so thay would be about 50.00 bucks cheeper. basicly it is 6.50 per foot plus the cost of the peole and fuel sirtax if they have one at the time.

Steve

Wow, yeah, I just randomly plugged in Gangcouver to the Island, forget which ports, 56' long, 2 passengers, random day and got $330 (cdn), 1 way!

that must be a reduced rate, if you get the calculator out and do 56 x 6.50 it comes to 364 and thats just the vehicle. passengers and driver 12 years and older are 17.20 each so thats another 34.40 so 398.40 each way. there are deals in the summer except for last summer where they do the length over 20 feet at 3.25 if you take spicific sailings. but I dont know how the fair calculator comes up that low. might be a covid thing to try get more people traveling in BC

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Be in trouble for saying so, but we went north of Campbell River to Port Hardy with the RV exactly once. Nothing to see here folks!

Been stories on here about dogs with the RV on the run to/from PR and PH like you can't get to them? Not sure--best check that out if you have dogs.

We like the East side mid-Island area to park the Rv and then go all over the place up and down Island and the West side same day in the truck/toad, lots to see and do.

I suppose if we lived mid-Island, we would come down here all the time. 🙂

Nah! At this stage of my life, I try my best to avoid the city traffic and lifestyle and stick to what I like the most. Not that I don't enjoy cultural centers on occasion. North Vancouver Island has so much to offer from skiing and snowmobiling in the winter to amazing hikes to scenery few people have even heard about. Course I don't like to tell people about it..... 🙂

I want to do more than just go places and see sites along the way. I like to take the time to do something when I get there. Each to his own, I guess.

CR north is the best part of the Island IMO, but I guess I'm a bit biased.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be in trouble for saying so, but we went north of Campbell River to Port Hardy with the RV exactly once. Nothing to see here folks!

Been stories on here about dogs with the RV on the run to/from PR and PH like you can't get to them? Not sure--best check that out if you have dogs.

We like the East side mid-Island area to park the Rv and then go all over the place up and down Island and the West side same day in the truck/toad, lots to see and do.

I suppose if we lived mid-Island, we would come down here all the time. 🙂
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ivbinconned wrote:

lots I am 56 feet long with two people in the cap it was aproximatly 740.00 return. you are 4 feet smaller so thay would be about 50.00 bucks cheeper. basicly it is 6.50 per foot plus the cost of the peole and fuel sirtax if they have one at the time.

Steve

Wow, yeah, I just randomly plugged in Gangcouver to the Island, forget which ports, 56' long, 2 passengers, random day and got $330 (cdn), 1 way!

Yup, that’s cheap..
Plug in Haida Gwaii round trip.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:
ivbinconned wrote:

Steve

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
ThNk you all. Very helpful
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

Sjm9911 wrote:
Just curious if you have to watch the tides up there for crossings? Over at one by me, if the tide goes to low your out of luck if pulling a TT. The ramp sits to low and you bottem out on the grade. They may have fixed this with a diffrent ramp, but it was always a concern in the past. Not sure how it works with 5ers.

I have never had an issue with that. I have traveled at all times of the day, various tide levels. The ramps are designed to go up and down with the water. I have always been on the bottom deck when towing.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Just curious if you have to watch the tides up there for crossings? Over at one by me, if the tide goes to low your out of luck if pulling a TT. The ramp sits to low and you bottem out on the grade. They may have fixed this with a diffrent ramp, but it was always a concern in the past. Not sure how it works with 5ers.

Good point. I have been on most of the coast ferries with both a Corvette and a 30' RV and had no problems with anything. Tides in Nanaimo/Victoria/Tswassen/West Vancouver are 14' max, but tides in Haida Gwaii can be over 20', so maybe an issue there. Depends so much on the rear overhang of your trailer. Prince Rupert has a new ramp with a longer run I think (flatter grade).

If you are concerned, call BC Ferries/Customer service at 1 (888) 223-3779). they are very friendly and helpful.