cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mirror replacement issue. Need some assistance Please!

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the Long post but trying to explain everything!!Thanks in Advance.

1996 Damon Intruder 34.5 ft. Ford chassis.
Crazy me hit a tree limb while pulling out of a spot it was parked in. The mirror case and lower mirror destroyed beyond repair.

I finall found a used mirror with exact size and mirror configuration but the wiring has me confused. I think this mirror may have had the heated mirror which mine didn't so it has 5 wires instead if the 3 wires mine had to operate it.

Now for the good part.

Motor home has 3 wires coming out to mirror. A red, Black and Green.

Used mirror has 5 wires Black,white, yellow and 2 reds.

I hooked up a volt meter to my 3 wires from the motorhome while wife operated switch for me. Testing the Red and Green wire when moving switch on the dash showed 12v when the switch was moved up or down. this seems all good. No voltage shows when switch is move left to right.

Now I check Black and Green and I get the Left and right voltage at 12v. Nothing on up and down.

So I pretty much Think Green is negative.

It's gets harder now for me.

I take the used mirror to garage for ease of testing and here are my findings.

Connecting black wire to negative Battery and White to Positive I get the mirror to go Up.

Connecting the black to positive and the white to negative the mirror moves down.

Now I connect the Black to negative and the yellow to positive and the mirror goes Left.

Then I connected the Black to positive and the Yellow to negative and the mirror goes Right.

So here is the real question. does the swith change the polarity from negative to positive???

And how do I connect the Black, White and Yellow wires on the mirror to the Red, black and Green wires on the coach???

PS: I notice nothing works on the 2 Red wires when I try to test them other that I have continuity between those 2.

So sorry for the long post but I am not very well 12v wiring.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!!!!

Dad
Living The Dream- Not full timing but wintering in Texas
Lifes So Short--Let's go Rv'ing :W
12 REPLIES 12

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Final update on my Mirror issues!! A bit Long but!!!

First off I would like to say Thank you from everyone that has commented on my question. I truley appreciate it very Much!!

This morning I called Ramco and talked to Tech. Let me tell you that this was probably the best call I have made to anyone anywhere in a long time as far as business are concerned. First off the phone rang once and a lady answered with a pleasant How may I direct your call?
I was so shocked not to get that dreaded recording directing me with numbers to my place of need. It was a real live person. Next she one second please. Wow She was so correct!!! Immediatley a gentleman by the name of David answered with his name and how can I help you.

So Thanks so much To a professional company for such a pleasant start of my call!!!

Next I expalined my isse and immediately he was telling me of my options. We visited briefly and I thanked him so much for the information and was getting ready to hang up and he said We do still have those mirrors heads in stock that will work as you want them to and priced it right then! I thanked him again and said if I couldn't live with my decision that I would contact them and get the mirror on the way. end of out conversation and again Thank You Ramco for being Customer user Friendly!!

Now he explained that I would probably get it to work ok but that one of the switch movements would be inverted. I told him that was what I had figured out and was just wondering if there was an easy fix.

His comment was not really but could be done with a different switch install that was a bit of a challange but could be done.
So I told him I was going to install the mirror as is and live with the up and down switch being inverted. At least I have a mirror to see out of.

So with all that long post again, thanks to all that helped with suggestions and thanks to Ramco For their professional help.

Mirror is on and now for my electric step and I am ready for spring travel!!!!!

Thanks to All -Dad

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much Mountianair05, I will give these a try and if not working I will call the number to get more help!!
Thanks so much everyone for your input. Getting closer to solving this!!
Dad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
left mirror driver

white on mirror to Red from switch
yellow Brown
black orange

right mirror passenger if you have change them

white to Green
yellow to yellow
Black to blue

This is only off the picture that I sent you.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
dad4papa2 wrote:
Update from Yesterdays post.
wired yp everything this morning and here is my results.
MotorHome Green Wire to Mirror Black
MotorHome Red wire to Mirror White
MotorHome Black to Yellow.

Now everything is working except-- left and right is perfect. Up and down is backwards-- Up on swith is down mirror and down is up.

Now if I have to I can live with this as I have a new good functional mirror, but being me knows there is a pattern to get it right. any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks much Dad

PS: I am not using the 2 Red wires!!

Is this both mirrors as in Left and Right. You can also look at the old one still install and that might help. Also that 1-800 # will work for them and they know the answer fast.

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Update from Yesterdays post.
wired yp everything this morning and here is my results.
MotorHome Green Wire to Mirror Black
MotorHome Red wire to Mirror White
MotorHome Black to Yellow.

Now everything is working except-- left and right is perfect. Up and down is backwards-- Up on swith is down mirror and down is up.

Now if I have to I can live with this as I have a new good functional mirror, but being me knows there is a pattern to get it right. any suggestions would be helpfull.
Thanks much Dad

PS: I am not using the 2 Red wires!!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, the switch reverses the polarity of the motor/s. Doug

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try this link.

https://www.ramco-eng.com/mirror-support

You should be able to have them email you a wiring diagram, plus answer your questions.

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm a quick check on the polarity change would be easy. I will try that.

MountainAire I will check your method out also.

dad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You probably didnโ€™t catch that the polarity reversed when the DW moved the switch ...reversing a motorโ€™s direction.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
did you try RED and Black as hot and Green as ground.

Ohm each wire Red to ground and black to ground and Green to ground. Post back

https://www.irv2.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=241411&d=1554861071

try this one same company.

dad4papa2
Explorer
Explorer
The only information I have on the old mirror from my MH has nothing on either mirror to ID them. The book I received with my MH says they are by Ramco but has no model or serial numbers with it. I bought the MH in 2007 so it was used when I got it.

As for the new Used mirror I found we took my old one to a RV salvage yard and found one just like mine with the same size case and mirrors on it. It has no ID on it anywhere Either.

That is about all I have.

Thanks for your Help.
Dad

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
how bout who made the mirror and model number.

On mine the Red and Green are the heaters.

Brown, White, Black go to the mirror.

Pin # 1 is brown

Pin # 2 and 3 is the blacks

Pin #4 White

So each company uses a different color and pin for power and grd so that is why need the make and model.