cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paperwork

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I always have the registration and insurance card with me for the fifth wheel. What other paperwork do you carry with you, if any? I was watching you tube and a Indiana State trooper did a safety inspection and mentioned he needed a log book as well as a certificate of origin.
I never heard of needing either of those.

Also the wife and I are talking about heading out to Yellowstone this year. What fuel card is good along I90?
31 REPLIES 31

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
If you travel with a K-9, have a Rabies vaccine certificate.

This ^^^^^

We have a mixed breed rescue and also carry paperwork documenting her as a lab/St. Bernard mix. Some campgrounds have a list of breeds they don't allow.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
All I carry in the truck is the current license registration and insurance card. As far as I know, that is all that is needed. As noted, commercial vehicle rules do not apply to an RV unless you are actually using it in a commercial capacity.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dave H M wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I got stopped in Jan in MD and got a warning ticket for the following
Couldn't find registration (found it before we moved
Handicap permit hanging on rear view mirror
no front tag (not required in NC)
Speeding 45 in a 35
no proof of insurance

Now that is what I call a "shake down."

I'd call it lucky!
He!!, I've been tossed in jail, effectively over a no proof of insurance ticket I received!
And I had insurance!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
grizz272 wrote:
I was watching you tube and a Indiana State trooper did a safety inspection and mentioned he needed a log book as well as a certificate of origin.

He was referring to a Commercial Vehicle inspection. Your RV does not qualify, unless it is a commercial vehicle. You need your registration. If it is a motorhome, you need your insurance card as well. If its a trailer, your insurance while rolling down the road comes from your tow vehicle.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Only commercial carriers need a log book. Anywhere in the U.S. (or Canada as a U.S. Citizen. but then you need your passport).
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
I always have the registration and insurance card with me for the fifth wheel. What other paperwork do you carry with you, if any?

Also the wife and I are talking about heading out to Yellowstone this year. What fuel card is good along I90?

I also carry a copy of the bill of sale for both my truck and RV. Also, if your truck and RV is still finaniced you need a letter of permission from the bank if you want to travel into Mexico.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MarkTwain wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
I always have the registration and insurance card with me for the fifth wheel. What other paperwork do you carry with you, if any? I was watching you tube and a Indiana State trooper did a safety inspection and mentioned he needed a log book as well as a certificate of origin.
I never heard of needing either of those.

I always carry the original bill of sale for my truck and 5th wheel. I was pulled over once in Ariz. by a local cop in a residential neighborhood who wanted to see Registration, insurance card and bill of sale. He said he wanted to run my registration card through their computer system to see if the truck was stolen. The paper registration was taped on the rear window as required by the state of Calif. as I had just bought the truck a week before. My caucasian wife was in the truck with me. I am an Apachie Indian. I asked him why he pulled me over since I had not violated any laws? He said it seemed strange that an "Apache Indian" would own a brand new Dodge truck and be driving in a nice residential neighborhood. I was a high school Principal for the last 20 yrs. in Calif. I left and immediatly went to the local police station and filed a complaint. I never heard back from the Police dept. about my complaint. Thank you Sheriff Arpaio in Maricopa county (:(:(:(:

Why didn't you contact Whiteriver and alert Tribal leadership? Take it right to Federal level.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomas201 wrote:
Back when we pulled the trailers with dinosaurs, and I drove commercial, part of our training was to keep the paperwork: Neat, complete and accurate. So mine for the tow and towed vehicles are in plastic bags in the glove box. The plastic prevents water and coffee damage. Keep them in the same place so you can find them. Police of all kinds like the paper work in order. If we are crossing the border, as others have said the passports, my yellow card and the dog's shot record is also in there. Now I will also add the covid records.

My commercial rigs, I carried a binder. In the front, a pocket for BIL, and temporary permits. First page was plastic sleeve with copy of DL and med card. Next sleeve, registration, and proof of liability insurance. Annual inspection report. Next was the 2 state blanket permits. Sadie's shot records. Then log pages/daily inspection report for last 10 days. Keep all the paperwork needed on roadside together. Always kept trailer registration in a water tight tube mounted to the trailer. Never had a issue, but didn't want to need it and it is in the other truck. Camper, it is in a envelope taped high up on a compartment door where I can get to it from outside. In the pickup, open glove box door, everything is in that baggie taped to the door. Why need to hunt for it?

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
I use to keep the campers paperwork in the camper and the trucks in the truck. I have just recently started keeping everything in the truck. I will need to straighten things out before the season starts though.

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Back when we pulled the trailers with dinosaurs, and I drove commercial, part of our training was to keep the paperwork: Neat, complete and accurate. So mine for the tow and towed vehicles are in plastic bags in the glove box. The plastic prevents water and coffee damage. Keep them in the same place so you can find them. Police of all kinds like the paper work in order. If we are crossing the border, as others have said the passports, my yellow card and the dog's shot record is also in there. Now I will also add the covid records.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
That was a Hotshot driver who makes a living delivering RVs and anything under 26,000 pounds. Over 26,000 pounds he needs a CDL license. He is also limited to driving 11 hrs. So, he needs a log book.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will notice I didn't get a ticket, only a warning. The handicap tag location was legal here in NC. Given a few min I would have located all the paper work. Can't deni the speeding. I'll dam sure have it all from now on

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I got stopped in Jan in MD and got a warning ticket for the following
Couldn't find registration (found it before we moved
Handicap permit hanging on rear view mirror
no front tag (not required in NC)
Speeding 45 in a 35
no proof of insurance

Now that is what I call a "shake down."

Shake down? Towing 10 MPH over speed limit, is IMHO, a good reason to get stopped. And once stopped, forward vision blocked should pay a idiot tax. If you can't prove it's yours, or that you have finical responsibility in case of accident, why should you be allowed to drive it away?

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
If you are divorced or just by yourself traveling with kids, have paperwork from the other stating you are allowed to have the kids, or the divorce decreee saying you have custody. Simmiler to what they do on cruise ships. This is so they dont think your stealing your own kids. Yes this is a thing.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.