Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: New Cooper tires behavior
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Cooper tires behavior

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
gitpicker2009

texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed 6 new Cooper tires on my Sterling 4500. These are the 19.5s.
I was replacing my old Dynatracs. The Dynatracs only had about 12K miles, but were 8 years old. I only use the truck for TC stuff generally. I never had a problem with the Dynatracs but the 4 rear wheels were "drive" wheels, different from the front "steer" wheels.

Now,at the advice of the tire dealer, the new Coopers are all steer wheels, so that I can rotate all the tires as needed. BUT... the truck now feels like I'm floating on a bubble. It's the only way to describe it. And, when you hit the brakes it feels VERY unstable. I've got the tires set at the same 80 PSI.
The dealer said that's normal and that the new tires would feel a bit "squirrelly" until I put about 500 miles on them.

Has anyone else dealt with this and if so, did it improve? I find it strange that the more expensive Cooper tires don't seem to drive as well as the cheap Dynatracs.

Thanks for any and all advice as always.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it is “normal” for 19.5s to move around during break in and track groves in the road.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hated the "Steer" tires they floated and grab lips. Switched to Drive tires all around and the issue went away. That was Toyo steer. switched to Roadmaster drive tires by Cooper.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's some scary sh!t.. I wonder how it will behave and what will happen In badly constructed highways.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire pressure too high may have the same effect, especially on the front wheels.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every time I get new tires, no matter the brand, it feels like I'm driving on ice. The last time which was only a few months ago I was very nervous on the freeway as it really seemed to skip and skate around. After a few days the feeling was gone and it was back to driving like normal.

One thing that may be helpful is to realize that your new tires will behave differently than your old tires. When you drive you subconsciously move the steering wheel back and forth to correct for the road. Since your new tires will react differently than the old tires, the corrections you need to make are going to be different. This means that the speed and force that you apply to the wheel is going to be different and you might in fact be exacerbating the behavior because you are still steering for the old tires.

Try taking it down the highway or freeway with a very light grip in the wheel. Let the truck drift a bit and use very small movements to keep it in line. Once you learn the idiosyncrasies of the new tires I'll bet you find them just as rock solid as the old.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both times with new 19.5's, they felt kind of drifty for nearly the first 1,000 miles and then it went away as they wore in. They're real stable now. I've had Hankooks and now Toyos. They drive pretty much the same. Mine were all aggresive tread. I'm on my second set now with a total of 205,000 miles.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Tire pressure too high may have the same effect, especially on the front wheels.

80psi is about the minimum pressure that you can run 19.5s at without losing the bead

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Totally normal till you get some miles on the tires.

gitpicker2009

texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/21 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is 80 PSI really considered low??? What do you recommend?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New Cooper tires behavior
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.