cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

campground reservations

wisdan
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip from Wisconsin to Arizona in September. Wondering how early I should be making campground reservations. Thanks in advance. Should add not leaving Wisconsin until Labor Day. Holbrook and Sedona areas and points west to Seligman. Lady friend wants to ride Route 66 on the Harley.
12 REPLIES 12

wisdan
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all for your input reservations are complete

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We're going to Texas the end of march.Since weekends are harder to get, I made the reservation for the destination 3 months prior.I made the last of the overnight reservations coming and going yesterday.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Memorial Day & July 4th weekends, now if you can. All other weekends, the sooner the better if in touristy areas. Sunday to Thursday, wing it.

Keep in mind that the FHU sites go first. W/E sites next. Simple power sites. Dry sites least demand.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you for certain know your destination I would book them sooner than later.
A few stops on the way I would probably just wing it.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
What part of Arizona? AZ has vast weather swings based on location. Phoenix could be 115 while Flagstaff is only 75. You could have a nightly temperature in Tucson of 95 while Williams is 45. A fifty plus degree difference based on location is to be expected and is why "where" in AZ is an important discussion item.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Merrykalia wrote:
This year is going to be like last year....no way close to NORMAL, so reservations will probably be needed for any tourist area or anything close to the interstate system. I you KNOW where you are going to be, go ahead and reserve.

Agree. When you're definitely knowing where and when you want to go, book as soon as possible.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Having said that Arizona is so dang hot they will be giving sites away - the average daily temps in September range from 99 to 92 at the end of the month according to the weather channe

You must only have traveled through the desert parts of AZ in the southern part. Most of northern AZ is high mountains, forested. Lots of snow there currently. Summer temps are typically highs in the 70's. Really nice during the summer. You are correct, the desert campgrounds are empty in summer until October but the campgrounds in the northern forests are often filled.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
This year is going to be like last year....no way close to NORMAL, so reservations will probably be needed for any tourist area or anything close to the interstate system. I you KNOW where you are going to be, go ahead and reserve.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Overnight stops in non touristy areas, call a day or two in advance. Tourist destinations, now if you want to stay at particular parks.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I have found lack of choices for a April to June trip to NM and Colorado and an August trip from Minnesota to Seattle

Having said that Arizona is so dang hot they will be giving sites away - the average daily temps in September range from 99 to 92 at the end of the month according to the weather channel

https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/729d869b5da7e1b89835d0de7940cda8b0b2e0dafda4ef6f742b558409755f66

Sure you want to go there in September !!!
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Today!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
wisdan wrote:
Planning a trip from Wisconsin to Arizona in September. Wondering how early I should be making campground reservations. Thanks in advance,

NOW,

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach