cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Odor control for plastic urinal installatoon

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased anEco Tek Urinal and will be installing it in my work shop when it is built connected to a jug or 1-1/2 inch line buried and connected to my newly planned buried dedicated TT dump line running to my sewer clean out.

I later plan on using another Eco Tek Urinal with my custom trailer build i plan on doing with the urine going to a urine only waste tank or jug. I will be able to hang it in the step in shower or hang it on the side of the trailer with a shower curtain or shower tent for privacy. Either way i will be able to connect it to the dedicated urine tank from either location.

From what i have seen, with composting toilets a small amount of white vinegar is added to the urine diverter tank and a spritz of white vinegar from a spray bottle is used to spray the toilet surfaces after making deposits.

For those with experience with composting toilets, is this all that is needed for complete odor control and cleaning or should i add anything else with the vinegar in the spray bottle? I am familiar with the geo method for traditional TT black tanks holding "mixed" waste.

And please, don't anyone start a composting vs traditional TT toilet and black tank war. Moderators please delete any of those comments.
8 REPLIES 8

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
For trailer or shop I will loop the line to create a trap. For either use I'll have a shut off valve especially for the trailer when towing, so I dont get any splash back from the tank.

The price is $69 Canadienne and aboot $55 Merican.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I may misunderstand. (I do a lot) But, if you don't use a water trap in the drain line to the urinal then isn't the odor from the RV clean out line in your shop or the odor from your holding tank in the camper going to come back up through the line and smell bad ???

I don't mean to offend or anything but, isn't 70 dollars for a plastic funnel in the wall of your shop kinda expensive ?? I have a friend that just uses a regular cheap plastic funnel in the wall of his shop.

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Use one of those urine jugs like the give you in the hospital. When nature calls use it. Pour it out when you go inside. Works for me.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We always just used a spray bottle of water...never had an issue with odor.

Never heard of the vinegar solution. Some had suggested a little sugar in the jug but we never found it necessary. I would think with a remote tank in the underbelly, it would be even better isolated.

Our jug was about 2.5gal and it had to be emptied at least every other day.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Vinegar, being an acid, is commonly used to neutralize the odor or urine. Urine gets most of its odor from ammonia, which is highly alkaline.

A mixture of 25-50% vinegar with water should do it.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The tank will be vented like they usually are through the roof and there will be a loop in the tubing between the urinal and urine tank to act as a trap to keep tank odor from coming back into the trailer.

I'm looking at completely neutralizing the stink of the urine and am trying to see if the vinegar by itself works or if i need to add anything else. I'm also trying to keep as much urine as possible from the porta potty i plan on using with the trailer.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Venting the waste tank to the outdoors would, I suspect, help a lot with controlling the odor indoors--especially if you use a trap or other seal setup like commercial waterless urinals. (Often, they have a trap that is sealed by some non-water liquid that is less dense than urine, so that it floats on top of the urine in the trap. There are various designs, though, including some that operate on different principles.)

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Give the white vinegar a shot IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad