Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SE TN trip Last week of March

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on weather and recommended time for each, I'm thinking of
Chicago to Chattanooga (via Lexington and Knoxville) then up 411 to Alcoa, then Pigeon Forge, Smoky, to Blue Ridge to Asheville. Back home via Corbin/ Cumberland Gap and Cincy.

If this is too much or weather doesn't cooperate, We could skip the mountains section, or the parkway, or Chattanooga. What do you suggest?

We're comfortable with most roads, but with switchbacks and overlooks it's good to give extra time for sightseeing and moving slowly. Any concerns?

Any spots you would recommend we not miss?

Thanks!
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.
9 REPLIES 9

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Tunnels along the BRP

FYI the 3 lowest clearance tunnels on the BRP are between Cherokee and Ashville
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much Ken56 and everyone. We're at 11'6 so clearances sound great, and I've marked the other spots. With your reassurances, its now time to get everyone jazzed! ๐Ÿ™‚
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I checked out the low clearance today and it's 13' 11" so it wasn't as low as I thought.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
OK, your initial route either through Nashville or Lexington doesn't seem to be too much difference according to the Good Sam trip planner. 40 miles LONGER to go through Nashville rather than Lexington...so your choice. I will say that if you haven't been to the Hermitage outside of Nashville it's a great stop for kids to see the history of our nation. If you cut over to Cincinnati you could stop at the Ark Adventure if that would interest the family. .

441 is actually doable in your C but the grades are steep and long because you are going uphill one way and down hill the other side of the Gap, 5049 feet elevation from 1289 feet at Gatlinburg. The road itself will handle your 31 feet as the curves are wide and accommodating. Use the tranny as much as you can and keep your speed down. Don't burn up your brakes, there's plenty of turnouts for stops to cool them off if need be. Be sure you want to tackle it because it will be a workout.

At the bottom of the hill is the Oconaluftee visitor center for a stop. The Elk graze there at times right off the side of the road. If lucky you will see them. Then in Cherokee is the Museum of the Cherokee Indian which is worth the time to see. The kids might like it.

I know Chattanooga was the original destination and it too is in itself a weeks stay to see everything there. You have a full schedule to do all you want to. Anyway, the Blue Ridge Parkway is right there just past the visitor center so you could hop on there and head to Asheville on it. It's a great drive but check the tunnel heights but I think your C will fit easily. You might see elk on that stretch too. Aside from the Biltmore I'm not sure what might be of interest there for your family.

Your route out of Asheville is a nice route but there is a low clearance coming into Newport and I forget what it is exactly, 13 ft. or something like that. We have friends out that way so I can check it and let you know soon. BUT, it's a good choice and a nice ride with good road that your C can do just fine. A stop in Hot Springs might be a good place to stretch the legs. Just remember, you are in the Appalachians and there is hardly any straight stretch of road and it's up and down hills everywhere...with hardly any shoulder.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
PartyOf Five wrote:
We went via Nashville last time, is it that much longer going via Lexington?

About 50 miles. It's worth it to me to avoid Louisville & Nashville.

Watch your speed going up US-411. Several of those towns like to "Welcome You" with their special tourist tax!
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
We went via Nashville last time, is it that much longer going via Lexington?
That stretch on 441 didn't look bad- we've been on the Beartooth and theu Yosemite- but thought I should ask anyway. We drive a 31' C, no toad.

Asheville north on i26 to Weaverville, then 25 up into Newport, to take 32 into Middlesboro seemed most direct. How is that drive?

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Well, are you planning on going through Newfound Gap on 441 to get to Asheville? Are you comfortable with steep grades? Not sure what your traveling in but quite often I see of RV's on the side of the road with burned up brakes. The smell of hot brakes hangs in the air on that road so unless you understand how to gear down on the tranny and keep your speed manageable then I would recommend going around and take I-40 to Asheville. You can take 321 out of Gatlinburg to get to I-40, good road.

Then what route do you plan on from Asheville to Cumberland Gap? It could matter. I live in the area here so I am familiar with most routes. Wife and I are annual pass holders to the Biltmore so I hope that is the destination for you. You can spend a whole day there but it's a pricey ticket.

Weather should be quite nice the end of March consistently in the 70's, possibly low 80's even and 50's at night. I start mowing the yard mid March every year here. I'm trying to think of some things to suggest to not miss. Let us know some interests the family has and what your rig setup is and more on your intended route.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
If your going to Cumberland Gap be sure to stop and see the falls, and if you can time it right donโ€™t miss the moon bow.

Dave_in_TN
Nomad
Nomad
If traveling straight from Chicago to Chattanooga, any reason not to go through Nashville? I think itโ€™s longer to cut over to 75 but I understand if wanting to avoid Nashville and/or Monteagle.

If you do get to Chattanooga, donโ€™t miss the Aquarium.
Dave & Christy / 5 Awesome Girls (28,26,24, 18 and 16)
2021 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS
2019 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7