cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost effective 14,000 tow rating

Maverick4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a cost effective tow rig with 14,000lb conventional (bumper pull) capacity.

I've been using an '02 7.3 Excursion to pull my junk (26' flatbed with 2 jeeps) and I'd like to step up to something so that I can use the full rating of my trailer.  I love my X, I've had it since '05 and it moves the load well, but its factory rating is only 11,000lbs (in spite of F350 springs, bags, tunes, etc).  Plus my kids are grown and I rarely fill all the seats.  It will make someone with a family and pulling a 9,000lb trailer very happy. 

Meanwhile, I'm beginning my search for something that can handle 14,000lbs and not break the bank. I'd love a new 6.7 F350 but that's not going to happen.  My friend has a '10 V10 with a gooseneck that gets it done (slowly), but I'd rather keep my bumper pull (mostly storage reasons).  I don't mind a high mile rig.  I could probably do a gasser, but would prefer a diesel.  I've used a '14 F350 6.7 to pull my trailer fully loaded up and it was a dream.  I'd rather not get a dually (not enough space next to my garage).

Scouring the tow capacity charts for the last 8 years, it appears the newer gassers can do the weight, or the older diesels.  I've got 295k on the 7.3, are the 6.7 (or other engines) doing as well on miles? This is a truck that would get driven a few times a month, usually with the trailer behind it, occasionally as a daily driver (which is what I've used the X for since '05)
8 REPLIES 8

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
I know at least back to 2008, a dually with V10 is rated for at least 14k.

It's the SRW where you are running into limitations most likely. 14k, is likely going to translate to around 1,800lb hitch weight. While in simplistic terms, that likely won't exceed the payload, it's still a lot of weight to have 4-5ft behind the rear axle.

I'm guessing if it's a typical flatbed, it doesn't have a WDH, so that's a lot of tail wagging the dog situation.

I pulled my 12,000lb trailer behind a 2019 F250 for a few weeks. If it had been any longer or I had been less busy I would have set up the weight distributing hitch. The truck was rated for it but I didn't like it. And that was with nothing but me in the truck.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Until you said single wheel I was thinking a old class 5-7 would fill the bill.

^^^ This. When scoping out possible pricing for my '13 F550, I was quite surprised at the number of (relatively) low mile 550's available from the past several MY's that came with a variety of bed styles.....you might even be able to find a more recent F450 with the P/U style bed.

...but the SRW is a pretty strong filter.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
I know at least back to 2008, a dually with V10 is rated for at least 14k.

It's the SRW where you are running into limitations most likely. 14k, is likely going to translate to around 1,800lb hitch weight. While in simplistic terms, that likely won't exceed the payload, it's still a lot of weight to have 4-5ft behind the rear axle.

I'm guessing if it's a typical flatbed, it doesn't have a WDH, so that's a lot of tail wagging the dog situation. Our2008 SRW is rated for 14.5k with a 5th wheel but 5th wheels are generally not prone to sway, so as long as it doesn't exceed the payload they are OK with it.

Pulling power is likely not an issue since they have the same motors and transmissions. It's probably a situation where if you don't get much sway, you will be fine but the manufacturer doesn't want to commit to it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The new 7.3L gasoline engine with the ten speed transmission is a much better towing package in an F350 that the old V10/six speed.

If you are willing to consider new you may find it nearly as cost effective as a used truck if you find or order a base model. Even the base models are pretty nice trucks compared to trucks built 10 years ago.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I don't think 300k miles out of any diesel engine is unreasonable (save for the 6.0/6.4 powerstrokes). The rest of the truck will need the same care and repairs.
You are in Utah and basically towing 14k as a primary use for the truck, there isn't a gasser, save for maybe a new Hemi 8 speed or 7.3 Ford that won't be very winded pulling grades at altitude.
Different story if you were close to sea level and primarily flat terrain.

Your use is what diesels are made for, IMO.
Truck prices aside, if I was going moderately used, I'd be looking for a LMM or newer Duramax, 2010 or newer Cummins, or 2015 or newer Powerstroke. And I wouldn't really consider any pre DEF trucks unless they were deleted or I could delete them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Until you said single wheel I was thinking a old class 5-7 would fill the bill.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The new 7.3L gasoline engine with the ten speed transmission is a much better towing package in an F350 that the old V10/six speed.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
From what I hear it is hard to come by a truck with that tow rating due to soaring home building, Covid shut downs, parts shortages, etc. The newer gassers can definitely do the job and would cost less but they were never popular new and scarce used. Since you mention cost effective and don't seem to have any reason to be in a rush I suggest that keep an eye on Craigs List, Facebook and other sell it yourself places and be prepared to wait 6 months or more for something you like to pop up. Be prepared to act when something does pop up, it may not be there long. Especially if it is particularly "cost effective".