cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost all power to 120v outlets

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
We have a (new to us) Lance 1121 (year 2000). This is our first outing and for some unknown reason, we have lost all power to 120v outlets. The fuse and breaker panel seems ok. The circuit breaker switch on the gen set seems as if it maybe bad. I feel almost no resistance when moving the switch up and down kind of like something just isn't "catching". I'm used to feeling almost a click on most circuit breakers when throwing the switch...but not feeling anything like that here. So, I'm wondering if anyone can comment on how that switch should feel when flipping it up and down.

I don't see any GFCI outlets, which would have been my first suspicion. Would (or should) there be GFCI's on a 2000 Lance?

Can anyone suggest another place to look? Or offer another suggestion?

We have our 12 volt available, just not our 120v service.
14 REPLIES 14

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
RandMJacobs wrote:
NRALIFR wrote:
A good way to tell if a Generac was ever installed is to look in the step below the dinette slideout. The Generac had a remote inverter that occupied about half of the space inside the step. It may still be in there, or at least the cable that connected it to the generator may still be there.

Generac RV generators were notoriously difficult for some tech’s to fix because they didn’t understand how they worked. On top of that, some of the parts were ridiculously expensive. Some failures could easily cost more than a new generator. Consequently, a lot of them ended up getting junked with low hours on them, and they ended up with a bad reputation amongst some of the owners.

:):)

WOW...didn't even know that space existed till now. No Generac anything there, but there was a brand new Hillshire Farms gift pack with 2 beef logs, crackers, and cheese...all have long since dried up. How no rodents ever found that is pretty remarkable. So, perhaps the Onan was an add-on after the original sale.

That is the funniest thing I have EVER read on this forum.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
A good way to tell if a Generac was ever installed is to look in the step below the dinette slideout. The Generac had a remote inverter that occupied about half of the space inside the step. It may still be in there, or at least the cable that connected it to the generator may still be there.

Generac RV generators were notoriously difficult for some tech’s to fix because they didn’t understand how they worked. On top of that, some of the parts were ridiculously expensive. Some failures could easily cost more than a new generator. Consequently, a lot of them ended up getting junked with low hours on them, and they ended up with a bad reputation amongst some of the owners.

WOW...didn't even know that space existed till now. No Generac anything there, but there was a brand new Hillshire Farms gift pack with 2 beef logs, crackers, and cheese...all have long since dried up. How no rodents ever found that is pretty remarkable. So, perhaps the Onan was an add-on after the original sale.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Possibly or original/subsequent owner installed the Onan on a generator ready camper.
Lance factory generator option was the Generac, I don't know if Onan was an option
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
My generator is an Onan Camp Power 2800w (and a gas model but it appears it was converted to run on LP). So, guessing this might be a replacement?

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
......... Manual I have (D1752) states a 10 amp CB #0A8592 but many like NRALIFR listed show 15 amp #0A8592? same part number. So it be removing old one to verify rating...........

I noticed that too. The “Service Manual” (the one that doesn’t have PN’s) said that was a 10 amp breaker, but the actual parts manual said 15 amp. That IS the line breaker for the AC, so I would expect it to be 15 amps.

Glad it was a simple fix.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Good solve
CB on our control panel has definite click with some resistance.
Small double throw CBs are available but no longer thru Generac.
Actual dimensions may vary a bit. Manual I have (D1752) states a 10 amp CB #0A8592 but many like NRALIFR listed show 15 amp #0A8592? same part number. So it be removing old one to verify rating.
Not OPs issue but if CB is not positively open/closing I'd consider replacing.

just example https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K2O0MM

this is for a Generac Impact 36lp plus- model 0009411 which translates to a 941-1 (tag says item #-last 4 digits are model), there are manuals for most.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got it Goin. This is a great place to get answers and suggestions.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
I just checked the operation of the CB on the generator, and yes, it does make a definite “click” sound, and has a noticeable detent feel to it when you operate it.

Unfortunately, this generator has been out of production for several years now, and Generac doesn’t even make built-in RV generators any longer. It’s been a few years since I’ve needed a part for mine, but the supply of new, “Generac unique” parts was drying up. Used and refurbed parts may have to be located.

It’s difficult to impossible to find the manuals for my generator on Generac’s site, but here’s a link to the parts breakdown for a 941-1, which is what mine is.

https://generac.ordertree.com/catalog/partslist/group/group_id/233167/

Here’s a link to the service manual (which doesn’t include part numbers) at generator-parts.com

http://www.generator-parts.com/manuals/generac-rv/0D1752.pdf

Here’s a link to the parts breakdown at jackssmallengines.com

According to this, the CB part number is 0A8592, but when I add one to the shopping cart to buy it says it’s out of stock. That’s a two-pole, 15A CB, and I doubt it’s a Generac unique part, so you may be able to remove it and find the manufacturer info printed on it.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/generac-engine-part/generator/0094...

Jacks is where I’ve purchased parts most recently. Maybe give them a call.

First off, now that it IS finally a "Godly hour", I've had a chance to put your suggestions into use...and we have power. As I suspected once you suggested it, the culprit was not plugging the shore power back into the Lance's receptacle. And, since I left the generator's circuit breaker in the off position, until I returned it to "on", I still didn't have power, so that CB appears to be functioning...whether it will trip if it needs to, is to figure out on another day. For now, we are running on generator power and recharging batteries. So, huzzah! And thanks...both for the suggestions AND the links. I'll be checking those out shortly.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the operation of the CB on the generator, and yes, it does make a definite “click” sound, and has a noticeable detent feel to it when you operate it.

Unfortunately, this generator has been out of production for several years now, and Generac doesn’t even make built-in RV generators any longer. It’s been a few years since I’ve needed a part for mine, but the supply of new, “Generac unique” parts was drying up. Used and refurbed parts may have to be located.

It’s difficult to impossible to find the manuals for my generator on Generac’s site, but here’s a link to the parts breakdown for a 941-1, which is what mine is.

https://generac.ordertree.com/catalog/partslist/group/group_id/233167/

Here’s a link to the service manual (which doesn’t include part numbers) at generator-parts.com

http://www.generator-parts.com/manuals/generac-rv/0D1752.pdf

Here’s a link to the parts breakdown at jackssmallengines.com

According to this, the CB part number is 0A8592, but when I add one to the shopping cart to buy it says it’s out of stock. That’s a two-pole, 15A CB, and I doubt it’s a Generac unique part, so you may be able to remove it and find the manufacturer info printed on it.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/manufacturer/generac-engine-part/generator/0094...

Jacks is where I’ve purchased parts most recently. Maybe give them a call.

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
There’s a GFCI outlet on my 1121 over the galley sink, under the overhead cabinet. When that trips, it affects other outlets as well.

I’ll check the CB on my generator (Generac 36LP) for how it operates. Do try plugging into an external AC power source to eliminate the generator and the CB’s on the generator. I take it the generator starts and runs, but there is no AC output?

Your 1121 would have come from Lance with a GFCI outlet above the sink, but of course it could have been replaced or eliminated by now. You should NOT have an automatic transfer switch (ATS) on your camper as Lance wasn’t using those then. Your shore power cord should be plugged into a 30 amp RV receptacle in the cord storage area. That receptacle and the shore power cord plug is another possible failure point.

Great response. My wife says I have to wait until a "Godly hour" before I can test things out, however. Wives, right?!!!!!

Anyway, yes, it appears there IS a GFCI above the sink, so will try that out. Also, and more important, I should have remembered that I have to replug the shore power into the built in receptacle in the same compartment. But again, can't check yet, but pretty sure without that plugged in, I shouldn't have had any reason to expect the generator to provide any power to the TC. So, pretty hopeful once I can power on the generator, that my troubles will be gone. I will post when I have it up and running. Much thanks for the suggestions/reminders.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
There’s a GFCI outlet on my 1121 over the galley sink, under the overhead cabinet. When that trips, it affects other outlets as well.

I’ll check the CB on my generator (Generac 36LP) for how it operates. Do try plugging into an external AC power source to eliminate the generator and the CB’s on the generator. I take it the generator starts and runs, but there is no AC output?

Your 1121 would have come from Lance with a GFCI outlet above the sink, but of course it could have been replaced or eliminated by now. You should NOT have an automatic transfer switch (ATS) on your camper as Lance wasn’t using those then. Your shore power cord should be plugged into a 30 amp RV receptacle in the cord storage area. That receptacle and the shore power cord plug is another possible failure point.

RandMJacobs
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:
Try plugging in to a regular 120 V outlet and see what happens.
I'll give that a try tomorrow...friends camping with us should be able to plug us into their motorhome.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Try plugging in to a regular 120 V outlet and see what happens.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer