cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Changing Tires

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Was wondering if it was necessary to hitch up a fifth wheel trailer in order to change tires, or if it can be done while standing on the front landing legs.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
32 REPLIES 32

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Well - maybe this is what the guy was referring to - kept saying speed balancing does no good on trailer tires - you can't feel the vibration anyway. Well, my dishes can - so they speed balanced them. This is the advice I read on this forum many times. I'm happy - and as a bonus, just sold the old tires for a great price.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My balancer:

One such video

You are now officially schooled.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The "old spin balance" would spin the entire assembly, with new tire/wheel mounted on the trailer. In this case, all parts would be balanced, tire, wheel, and drum. Using this method, you need to mark wheel to lug bolt, after balance, before removing wheel again, to be sure the tire/wheel is remounted to drum, exactly as before removal.

Lots of opinions on trailer wheel balance need. IMO, the way many shops balance trailer tires/wheels, does little good. Using the lug type balance, should be helpful.

Jerry

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
MFL wrote:
Thanks for reporting back, letting us know what your experience was. Glad it worked to your satisfaction! If pricing similar, it is nice to have them come to you, rather than dragging your trailer through city traffic, and a busy lot.

I was thinking the old spin balance, that would have been done on the trailer. Either way, nice you could watch, to see what they did.

Jerry

The "old spin balance" is the only way to accurately balance trailer tires. Since the brake drums are not balanced and the wheel is not always running true, balancing off the trailer is only a feel good exercise. I own an old on the vehicle balancer and will not allow a tire installer to add weights to my wheels knowing it is useless, I'll take care of it myself.
So school me - what is the "old spin balance"?

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
I had a mobile tire company put new tires on my Dodge Charger. Between the Tech continuing to tighten, long after the torque wrench clicked, and seriously out of balance, never again.
This isn't something that only happens with a mobile service - it can happen anywhere you go for service.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Thanks for reporting back, letting us know what your experience was. Glad it worked to your satisfaction! If pricing similar, it is nice to have them come to you, rather than dragging your trailer through city traffic, and a busy lot.

I was thinking the old spin balance, that would have been done on the trailer. Either way, nice you could watch, to see what they did.

Jerry

The "old spin balance" is the only way to accurately balance trailer tires. Since the brake drums are not balanced and the wheel is not always running true, balancing off the trailer is only a feel good exercise. I own an old on the vehicle balancer and will not allow a tire installer to add weights to my wheels knowing it is useless, I'll take care of it myself.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a mobile tire company put new tires on my Dodge Charger. Between the Tech continuing to tighten, long after the torque wrench clicked, and seriously out of balance, never again.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I like the idea of spin balance for a trailer. I would still want to be hooked to truck, for the mobile service tire swap, rather than raising one side at a time, while sitting on landing legs.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Jerry
Met these guys at my storage lot this morning. They did a great job installing the tires - although the one guy kept insisting that trailer tires don't need to be balanced I told him I wanted them balanced regardless - so they did a speed balance on all 5 tires.

They jacked it up enough to get the tires off the ground on one side and changed them out. Didn't seem to bother the fiver at all. I'm pretty happy.

It is a franchise, so maybe they are in your area - check out how their van is set up - pretty nice outfit. www.gomobiletires.com/

SWoop2247
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Was wondering if it was necessary to hitch up a fifth wheel trailer in order to change tires, or if it can be done while standing on the front landing legs.

If getting new tires I just tow it to the tire shop and have them deal with it.

X2
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Cummins
24K Curt Slider
2013 Heartland Sundance 3200RE

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I like the idea of spin balance for a trailer. I would still want to be hooked to truck, for the mobile service tire swap, rather than raising one side at a time, while sitting on landing legs.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Jerry

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Yesterday, I called Discount Tire and got a price on the tires I want plus installation. I then looked for and found a mobile service that has the tire mounting machine and balance machine. Using them, I'm saving about 50 bucks on the total Discount Tire price, plus I don't have to hook it up and take it there.

And thanks for all those who suggested the Trailer Aid - I have one, but would rather hire this out.

Interesting does that include road hazard protection and nation wide service. Is the balancing machine a spin balance or bubble balancer.

Spin balance - I have all the hazard services/warranties I need.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Yesterday, I called Discount Tire and got a price on the tires I want plus installation. I then looked for and found a mobile service that has the tire mounting machine and balance machine. Using them, I'm saving about 50 bucks on the total Discount Tire price, plus I don't have to hook it up and take it there.

And thanks for all those who suggested the Trailer Aid - I have one, but would rather hire this out.

Interesting does that include road hazard protection and nation wide service. Is the balancing machine a spin balance or bubble balancer.

Don't think the $50 saved would be worth it to me.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"