cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed level of new trucks

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2021 GMC SRW 4WD---Had to get goose neck horse trailer lifted because truck was higher than old one. Was explained this way, have you ever noticed how the house part of an RV trailer sits on top of the wheels rather than down over them like they used to. I always had a class A so I never noticed but is this true?
25 REPLIES 25

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yup, they make low bedrail trucks. They’re called flatbeds or hauler beds.
BUT I see your point. Wonder what % of trucks are bought to haul 5vers or GNs?

I could see a market for factory low rail “pickup beds” for sure. But then again I’m the person that thinks HD diesel suvs and work trucks with 9’-10’ long beds would also be cool, useful and popular!
Guess I’m not the typical target market!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I just saw an add for a Chev Off Road and the add says it is lifted 2in. From the factory

Like this one....
It’s still short. Just not a total pavement pounder like most GM half tons.

Gator398
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:

I have saying for years that there is a need for low bedrail trucks for pulling gooseneck/fifth wheel trailers and for people want to access the bed from the side. For the rare occasions that I really needed high bed rails on my old truck I had no issue with simply putting some boards on the side.

I agree with this, all of the gn trailers at last company I was with are pulled with dually 3500 and had custom flat beds built for them. These aren't cab n chassis, they are true 96" dually and the flat beds are notched in the front because they are so wide. Company had learned hard way that beds on dually just get torn up hauling GN off road (lease roads to oil rigs) but cab/chassis are too narrow for stability. It's also why horse haulers have custom beds built for their towing rigs.
2021 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7L

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that a big contributor to the "lifted" trucks from the factory is the expectation of flat floors in the trucks. Then when add in that Ford and probably the others made the beds deeper the bed rails went way up.

I have saying for years that there is a need for low bedrail trucks for pulling gooseneck/fifth wheel trailers and for people want to access the bed from the side. For the rare occasions that I really needed high bed rails on my old truck I had no issue with simply putting some boards on the side.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
After our trip to Colorado and Oregon this last summer, I was amazed to see how many "Nose High" fifth wheel trailers were on the road, including me. It makes no sense that you can't find a newer 3/4 ton truck that has not been raised by the factory. I wish I had my 2007 2500HD back.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just saw an add for a Chev Off Road and the add says it is lifted 2in. From the factory

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that with all the fuel efficiency mandates they would be lowering their trucks. I really like the looks of a 2WD long bed truck, they actually look usable, too bad you can’t get a truck with the stance of a 2WD with 4WD.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I like the taller trucks. I'd level my 2015 and throw 35's on it except we currently have a fifth wheel and even more importantly I don't think it would fit through my garage door. If we switch to a travel trailer I'll may bust out the tape measure, though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Funfunfun
Explorer
Explorer
This will help ***Link Removed***

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:

As for trucks, I agree, they keep jacking them up to appeal to young people who think it's cool I guess. For someone like me who uses a truck for work the higher bed and sides make it harder to load things in and out and harder to reach my tool bins and see into them. I don't know if I will ever change.

Guess I'm still juvenile. Maybe turning 49 (for the first time) this year, I'll grow up a little!

That square body is really nice and I'd bet it's got a lift. I have no problem with lifted trucks. They look nice. If you want to lift a truck have at it. My problem is with them coming higher and higher from the factory. Those of us who don't want to have to work out of a tall truck all day every day don't have a choice when they come that way.

Lol, leave us tall people alone! I said that for years they need to make cars and trucks bigger so us tall people can fit in them and see out the windsheild without having to squat in the drivers seat. I will say, the new trucks are fine for me! 🙂
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford actually dropped the F250 a couple of inches for 2021 because of complaints about it being too high. I wish that they would do like Ram and offer air suspension for a more level ride all the time and kneeling for loading. Same for all of there trucks.

I am 5'9" and can barely see over the bed rail of some of new trucks. That is why I keep an OLD Ranger around for light duty truck jobs. It is so much easier to load and unload and I don't $2k worth of steps to get in and out.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MT BOB wrote:
A stock f150,or 1/2t chevy needs a ladder for me to get into it!And don't get me started on the height of the bed rails!

I personally thought we would have gotten away from this "jacked up" ****,as it only costs fuel economy.But I guess we now have another generation that wants to "look cool".

And get off my lawn!!

Are you a midget? (Or what is the correct term? Little person?)

I guess I feel sorry for you if you somehow missed out on a generation that wanted to "look cool."
In the 80s/90s I was lifting my trucks and lowering my cars and spending money on wheels.
Pretty sure that was happening before my gen too. I recall my dad having a 57 Chevy, back when it was just a Chevy, but a cool one!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
Well you can save some height by getting a DRW! we moved from a 2001 Ram 2500 4X4 to a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW and only gained one inch in height. Both stock height.

That's just because Dodge was the OG bad @ss truck back when 2nd Gens came out! And still are!
#rammafia4life

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Guess I'm still juvenile. Maybe turning 49 (for the first time) this year, I'll grow up a little!

Nah...you will be same at 49! NEXT YEAR, holy $hitt!! Get rid of those lifted rigs, performance car, etc. At 50 you will have to take orders from wife and son, as he'll be able to kick your a$$ at that stage of life!:o

Jerry

Haha, so true, except I've been preparing for this...been taking orders from the Admiral for the better part of 30 years, so I'm well-trained and conditioned.
And the secret to the vehicles is early on, I got her hooked on fast cars and big trucks. It generally required me giving up MY car or truck to her when we were dating so I could get the honor of repairing her cr@p box little car or suv (Her dad was smart here too, I saw him taking advantage of this deal, but I got additional fringe benefits....).
So once we wuz hitched, it was "Honey I want a big truck...Honey I like THAT car...")
So now thye're all "hers". The hot rod is "her" summer car, the brodozer is "her" winter rig. And I still get to fix them all....

And fortunately our boys are not large individuals, so it'll be a while before they can whip my @ss, unless they teamed up!