cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

no lights

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new FLWX AIR HITCH and found out too late that I didn't need to disconnect wires. I did think to keep track of what wire went where and the BARGMAN junction box was labeled by color. I have spent hours trying to get lights to work.
Also the yellow wire has only one lead?
Also the blue wire has a black wire attached to it, Only on one side.All connections have 13volts,
All those things might be part of the problem.
There is one red spot labeled and I have 3 red wires.
But I have one thicker than the others and it is connected with a black wire.
This has to be simple but it is too simple for me.
Anyone help???
8 REPLIES 8

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
got it fixed'''''bad connection with the cord

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like to sound too negative, but from your posts I get a feeling that you are in way over your head.

A friend with automotive electrical experience (or a mobile RV tech) needs to "cold trace" your wiring harness.

A wrong connection usually just annoying, but it CAN be dangerous to the batteries and other electronics in both the trailer and the truck.

A degree of caution is a good idea.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The blue is probably your electric brakes. The extra black wire is from the emergency breakaway. But don't just take my word for it trace the wire back.

Actually I like the post from JRscooby above. But even if you don't rattle can all the wires black still use a battery to figure out where all the wires go. First step is to disconnect the batteries and unplug shore power. Then use your meter to figure out the ground wire by going from the wires in the junction box to the frame.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO, the first step is get a rattle can of black paint, but a heavy coat on all the wires. Now, once the color code is no longer tempting you, use a battery and jumper wire to determine the function of each wire, and hook it to proper post

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Where is your ground attached? It is commonly black. Follow the negative wire from the battery. It should connect to the frame of the trailer and the white wire in the cable from the TV.
The blue wire from the TV is the electric brakes. It should have a wire coming from the break-away switch connected to it. The other wire from break-away switch should go to the trailer battery positive terminal.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys
I have all the colors matched up per those references still no lights.
here is the thing. I have 3 red wires . one red from the truck,,,one from the 5vr and third not sure from where....little confusing...where do i put the third...right now it is connected to the black .
all the rest are matched up by matching colors.
Then another confusing part is that one of the blue wires has a black wire attached to it,

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This should help!
etrailer wiring diagram

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer may not use all 7 wires, sometimes a trailer doesn't use the back-up lights but that's usually a flatbed type trailer.
Blue is electric brakes; on the trailer there is a breakaway switch that activates the trailer brakes if the tow vehicle becomes disconnected. This switch usually has black wires. One would hook to the blue on the trailer, the other would hook to the +12v lead on the trailer.
etrailer.com has some great wiring diagrams and color code lists.