cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soresto Collar Danger

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Found this article on issues with Soresto collars: https://whdh.com/news/popular-flea-collar-for-pets-linked-to-nearly-1700-deaths-documents-show/

I had heard rumors of issues in the past but never saw anything to back it up until now.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
14 REPLIES 14

EvaGR
Explorer
Explorer
I use Soresto collars and toxicity has never been an issue. However, you can choose another collar for your pet. Here is a helpful article on this topic ***Link Removed***https://catspurfection.com/top-7-best-flea-collar-cats.html

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We have an English Springer Spaniel that started scratching and licking almost obsessively recently. We wondered if the Seresto collar may have caused this?
The use of the collar and the licking of her front legs and paws seemed to coincide.
We took the collar off about a week ago after reading some of the complaints and she is much better. The obsessive linking is much better. We will see if it continues to get better as the chemicals work out of her system.

My two cents.
Jesseannie

Buck1122
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Lwiddis wrote:
If there is a danger to dogs from , there is a danger to humans also.

THEN TAKE IT OFF

Any review about dewelpro flea collar?
https://dewelpro.com/products/flea-collar-for-cats

dturm
That's a good theory. It is a well known fact that flea and tick collars that are made for dogs will kill cats.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I have been wondering if these reported adverse reactions are due to genetics of the impacted animal.

In reading up on how these slow release collars and spot-on treatments work I came across statements about how on cats certain active ingredients (or formulations) are not as effective as on dogs because the adsorption through the skin of the active ingredients is faster in cats than dogs lowering the amount of the drug on the skin of the cat to kill flees and ticks.

I then browsed the literature for transdermal drug delivery in humans (i.e. nicotine patch) and came across studies on the impact of certain genetic mutations that alter how fast drugs are absorbed from the patch to the blood stream.

These literature findings suggest to me that it is possible there are canine mutations that alter how fast drugs on the skin (via spot-on or slow release collars) are absorbed through the skin and if this process is fast enough the serum levels could become high enough to become toxic.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Raw data is very similar to...

RVing since 1995.

dturm
It really is worth the post. People need to be aware and at the earliest sign of a problem contact their vet. On the flip side, these may be isolated incidents may or may not be related to the collar.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
My take on this is the number of deaths related to the collar mean nothing without the number of collars sold also included in the details. Soresto is the number one selling flea collar. What is the percentage of animals that have a reaction? Example: 1,700 deaths/17,000,000 collars sold = .01% of collars sold caused deaths.
My point is every mammal has the ability to be allergic to any chemical be it man made or natural. Personally, I could die if stung by a honey bee.

Agree. Raw data is useless but I thought it was worth a post.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
Another issue is the phrase "associated with." I'm not aware that it has been shown that the deaths were caused by the collar.

This situation does need to be investigated and causality established.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
My take on this is the number of deaths related to the collar mean nothing without the number of collars sold also included in the details. Soresto is the number one selling flea collar. What is the percentage of animals that have a reaction? Example: 1,700 deaths/17,000,000 collars sold = .01% of collars sold caused deaths.
My point is every mammal has the ability to be allergic to any chemical be it man made or natural. Personally, I could die if stung by a honey bee.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
If there is a danger to dogs from this collar, there is a danger to humans also.

THEN TAKE IT OFF

dturm
These collars first came out in 2012 (I think) and most of adverse reports on the veterinary boards I checked list dermatologic issues. There has not been any discussion about serious toxicity issues. Some have speculated that "counterfeit" collars purchased online could be the issue.

Regardless, this is something that needs to be investigated. But, as some have said they have used this collar for years with no side effects.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Maggie the Wonder Beagle has been wearing the Seresto flea collars for nearly 6-years with zero ill effects. everything...literally everything we do in life carries risk. I will monitor this story but in the interim we will continue to use Seresto collars.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If there is a danger to dogs from this collar, there is a danger to humans also.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad