cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cost to repair or replace half a windshield?

genentina
Explorer
Explorer
We caught a stone into the right half or our windshield on our
'97 Georgie Boy Swinger, the type with a curved, sloped left half and
a right half. It formed a crack that has traveled 15 inches.

Is there a windshield repair that can be done at this point, or just
bite the bullet and get a replacement? I can't even imagine it is still available, although I've seen this style of sloped, curved windshield on dozens of different makes and models. It's gotta be expensive to replace, right?
Get off the phone and drive!
18 REPLIES 18

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Branson N Tucson wrote:
snip// Generaly
The first question asked by the window company is are you paying for it or going thru your insursnce.The differences in cost could be a few hundred dollars.

That is really one of my hot buttons. The work and labor is the SAME. Why should it really matter. Same with health care. If your insurance is paying for it, it's cheaper than if you don't use the insurance. Stupid rules....rant over....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go thru your insurance company. The one reason they keep the claim open for a year and if you have any problems with in a period of time they will take care of it. This is especially good if your traveling and some thing happens. Generaly
The first question asked by the window company is are you paying for it or going thru your insursnce.The differences in cost could be a few hundred dollars.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
genentina wrote:
well I see we have a $2000 deductible so it'll likely be coming

out of my lunch money

You sure that deductible applies to Comp/glass? Many states have zero deductible for glass claims under Comp. We had to have our one piece windshield replaced and the company (Binswanger) came to our house, measured, ordered, installed at our house. The glass came from the same company the factory’s did.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely check with your insurance agent, a $2000 deductible in comprehensive seems way to high but if that is what you asked for that is what it will be. I have $250 on comp and $500 on collision. I just had the windshield in my pickup replaced because of a rock chip and it cost me $250. Several years ago I had one side of the windshield replaced in our 1987 Itasca replaced and it cost $250.They had no problem getting a windshield even for that older MH. I doubt that they can repair a crack as long as you have.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
if the gasket is original it may have to be replaced and then the other windshield 1/2 is disturbed and prone to breaking a short time later. get them in writing to warrant their work and the older windshield from cracking .

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
genentina wrote:
well I see we have a $2000 deductible so it'll likely be coming

out of my lunch money

$2000 deductible on collision or comprehensive? glass is typically comprehensive, don't assume...ask your insurance agent.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had 1/2 of the windshield replaced on my old 97 Winnebago and it was $1200. That was several years ago

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know I was told a 6” or less crack .. maybe . but all cracks , spots etc in drivers side and vision are no repair.
Bill

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of repairs being possible or successful for a 15" long propagating crack. Generally, repairs are limited to a small area spot or nick, maybe no larger than a quarter. They work by forcing a sort of transparent epoxy into the glass.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I had both windshields replaced last year due to road hazard and hail damage.
Total cost about $1600 including labor.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been quoted about $1200 to replace a right or left half windshield from 2 different companies. That's if no insurance is involved.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve had a repair. Lasted three years just fine...then we sold the vehicle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Genentina,

There is repair that can probably be done. It is inexpensive and while not 100% certain of long term survival, it is worth looking into.

We have had this done to two or three passcars and it did save replacement of the glass.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Windshield deductible is usually much less. Call your agent