cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How often do your remove the camper from the truck?

diver110
Explorer
Explorer
As I noted in a another thread (lots of great feedback), I am looking at pop-up truck campers. It would be my first RV. How often do people take the campers off of the truck and how hard is it to do that? I saw a video of it that someone put on their website. It looked relatively manageable, as long as one is on fairly flat terrain. In the video, it was on a fairly level dirt surface. It looked like a bit of a tight fit, and having a second person around would definitely help. Obviously, it would be nice to have the camper off the truck when, say, offroading or using the truck when at home. Comments?
25 REPLIES 25

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Grateful that mine stay on for a long time. :B
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
"Trailer mode" combines the 2 views from side mirror cameras side by side.
This way you can see camper lining without the angle error mirrors are giving you.
I post a picture of it in 1 of the older threads, but can't find it now.
My Fleetwood has wider end and I had to put it on actually touching the truck gate opening on driver side, so lining up 6000lb camper is pretty important as you can't push it much by hand.

That definitely sounds like cause for having a spare pair of shorts handy!

I found it wonky lining up with my '98 GMC as the bed walls closer together at the gate and there's little room. Can't imagine the light touch it takes if you're touching!

Going from a 'gizmo-free' '98 to the new truck with all these new features is gonna be fun. I can see why the glove box needs to be so big to hold what must be a phone book of a manual.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
"Trailer mode" combines the 2 views from side mirror cameras side by side.
This way you can see camper lining without the angle error mirrors are giving you.
I post a picture of it in 1 of the older threads, but can't find it now.
My Fleetwood has wider end and I had to put it on actually touching the truck gate opening on driver side, so lining up 6000lb camper is pretty important as you can't push it much by hand.

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:

Been dropping camper for 3 years before I discovered that my Ford cameras have trailer option, who helps A LOT with camper loading. :S

Is your "trailer option" one of those customer place-able cam's? If so, would love to see where you place it and what view you get on your screen, if you have a moment. Maybe a new thread.
Thanks.

I always laugh, between the 4 letter words, when it takes me a dozen or so back and forths to get the TC on when it's parked in the exact same spot I've 'one and done' it. Go figure. I expect the new one to take a while with the DRW and the rear window being WAY further back then my old truck.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Since I used pickup for sightseeing, my camper was coming off quite often.
Beware that campers don't like sloppy pads and even small grade makes dropping & loading camper more difficult.
Been dropping camper for 3 years before I discovered that my Ford cameras have trailer option, who helps A LOT with camper loading. :S

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you have to unload on uneven ground, if you follow the right sequence, it takes all the guesswork out of it and doesn't take any longer if you mark the positions of the jacks when you have it jacked up to unload. Then you can re-set the camper to that position exactly when re-loading. Just make sure there arent any big bumps or dips the wheels will go over while pulling in or out.
Otherwise, I've unloaded on significant cross slopes, downslopes or combination of.
-Run jacks to ground
-Lift camper off at the same slope as the truck is sitting until clear of truck bed, don't level camper up and then lift.
-Mark or write down jack heights for each jack before leveling camper up.
-Adjust camper to level and desired height after truck is out.
-When re-loading, bring camper up close to height and adjust to previous jack heights, then the truck will back right in the same it came out and be parallel with truck bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
i only have it on when I am using it. when I am done I take it off, unless i am heading out again soon and dont need the truck for anything else. Steve

^^^ Same here ^^^
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled across the U.S. in our camper a number of times. Sometimes an oil change is due while on the road. I never seem to be able to find a place with enough height clearance when in a new area. This means I have to take the camper off, usually in a parking lot. It's not a huge deal just have to allow some extra time for the process. I back under the camper very slowly and stop and get out several times to check my alignment before proceeding. Just be patient, you can do it.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
First TC RV: I frequently took the camper off.
Yes, you are correct - having a good level surface is crucial for easy load/unloading.
Newer trucks and campers have a very narrow tailgate opening fit and it can increase the difficulty of on/off loading.
Un-even terrain will stress the jacks where they attach to the camper.

Fourth TC RV: I rarely take the camper off.
I tow a Jeep for trips that may find it useful for additional touring when making road trips / camping.
To replace the pickup truck's at-home general utilitarian use, I've purchased a small 5x8 trailer for light duty hauling with the Jeep.
The pick up bed is now only used for heavy duty hauling.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
You will get answers that cover the entire range, from people who never take their camper off and can't fathom anyone that would ever take their camper off, to others who take their camper off every time they stop and can't fathom anyone who would ever leave their camper on.

And that is one of the best features of TCโ€™s. A truck when you need it, an RV in less than on hour. So cool.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

specta
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
You will get answers that cover the entire range, from people who never take their camper off and can't fathom anyone that would ever take their camper off, to others who take their camper off every time they stop and can't fathom anyone who would ever leave their camper on.

Well said. :B

I took mine off my truck twice last year. It went back on a few weeks ago.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I had two TCs. A pop up and a hard side fiberglass.
I used both for work. I would use them weeks at a time, be home a week or two then head back out.
It is a big enough pain that when home only one week I would leave it on. Two weeks and then just depends on how much driving I planned to do between (usually I was tired of driving so avoided it when home).

It is simple in theory, but does take time. It can be a chore. Tailgate needs to come off and go somewhere safe, don't drop it, its heavy but easily manageable. The camper is always sitting on something (X's, saw horses, pallets) so raise camper, remove platform, store platform/move platform. Prep truck, which for me involved the batteries that stayed in the truck bed, the electrical connection, putting boards in the bed, the rubber mat all just so. Back truck in most of the way, connect the things, back in the rest of the way. Some ppl are good enough they get it perfect the first time, prepare to do a few back-n-forths to get TC centered where u want it. Lower TC. I had remote motors but it still was a chore. I had air bags, so air up the air bags to get truck level again. Lug out the Troqlift tie-down arms, the chains and hook it all up, tighten down the tie-downs. Fill water if you prefer to drain out water for storage to make TC lighter and not stress the floor (depends on quality of your TC). Dont forget that license plate move. Hook up trailer wires to TC, check, Two mirrors out.. Good to go.
Yea, it is a bit of work.
I got rid of TC.
Now I have trailer: Back truck up, drop it on the ball, clip the chains in and the 7-pin. Done.

Be sure this is what you want.
The Pop-up is neat, but unless it is an Alaskan you are in a tent when the top is up, all the noises and lack of insulation as a tent. Lack of security of a hard wall (not that campers are hard to break into).
The hard side is nice too, heavy, and lot of weight on your expensive truck with expensive front end parts - as opposed to super cheap easy-to-fix trailer axle and leaf springs. Your truck is going to carry the burden and weight and get worn out faster....
Keep all this in mind...

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
In close to 10 years our big Citation 10.8 S camper might have come off the truck maybe 10 times. We used it mostly in the winter to go do our ski patrolling at Crater Lake and Willamette Backcountry here in Oregon.
In the summer, the Harley was the main mode of transportation.
Happy camping, KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mine goes on in the spring and comes off in the fall.
I never drop the camper when camping because I don't need the truck to go sightseeing.

Here's how I load it

Here's how I unload it
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator