Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How often do your remove the camper from the truck?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How often do your remove the camper from the truck?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have to unload on uneven ground, if you follow the right sequence, it takes all the guesswork out of it and doesn't take any longer if you mark the positions of the jacks when you have it jacked up to unload. Then you can re-set the camper to that position exactly when re-loading. Just make sure there arent any big bumps or dips the wheels will go over while pulling in or out.
Otherwise, I've unloaded on significant cross slopes, downslopes or combination of.
-Run jacks to ground
-Lift camper off at the same slope as the truck is sitting until clear of truck bed, don't level camper up and then lift.
-Mark or write down jack heights for each jack before leveling camper up.
-Adjust camper to level and desired height after truck is out.
-When re-loading, bring camper up close to height and adjust to previous jack heights, then the truck will back right in the same it came out and be parallel with truck bed.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I used pickup for sightseeing, my camper was coming off quite often.
Beware that campers don't like sloppy pads and even small grade makes dropping & loading camper more difficult.
Been dropping camper for 3 years before I discovered that my Ford cameras have trailer option, who helps A LOT with camper loading. [emoticon]

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Been dropping camper for 3 years before I discovered that my Ford cameras have trailer option, who helps A LOT with camper loading. [emoticon]

Is your "trailer option" one of those customer place-able cam's? If so, would love to see where you place it and what view you get on your screen, if you have a moment. Maybe a new thread.
Thanks.

I always laugh, between the 4 letter words, when it takes me a dozen or so back and forths to get the TC on when it's parked in the exact same spot I've 'one and done' it. Go figure. I expect the new one to take a while with the DRW and the rear window being WAY further back then my old truck.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Trailer mode" combines the 2 views from side mirror cameras side by side.
This way you can see camper lining without the angle error mirrors are giving you.
I post a picture of it in 1 of the older threads, but can't find it now.
My Fleetwood has wider end and I had to put it on actually touching the truck gate opening on driver side, so lining up 6000lb camper is pretty important as you can't push it much by hand.

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

"Trailer mode" combines the 2 views from side mirror cameras side by side.
This way you can see camper lining without the angle error mirrors are giving you.
I post a picture of it in 1 of the older threads, but can't find it now.
My Fleetwood has wider end and I had to put it on actually touching the truck gate opening on driver side, so lining up 6000lb camper is pretty important as you can't push it much by hand.

That definitely sounds like cause for having a spare pair of shorts handy!

I found it wonky lining up with my '98 GMC as the bed walls closer together at the gate and there's little room. Can't imagine the light touch it takes if you're touching!

Going from a 'gizmo-free' '98 to the new truck with all these new features is gonna be fun. I can see why the glove box needs to be so big to hold what must be a phone book of a manual.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grateful that mine stay on for a long time. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> How often do your remove the camper from the truck?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.