Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Trailering
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailering

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
paulfredricks

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just picked up our new camper and towed it back from Ohio to Connecticut. Smooth trip the whole way.

Our old trailer was 24'. This one is 32'. I knew it was going to be a bit different due to the increased size, but I was caught off guard by how interesting it can be getting in and out of a gas station.

Any tips from you vets out there who are pulling bigger units? Are there certain things you look for when it comes time for a fill up?

Thanks!

2004 Starcraft 215SSO
2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 08:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip stations that have islands arraigned so traffic heads toward the station..

The illustration below should be helpful..

[image]

Often that results in extremely tight turns to get around the islands without hitting the station store.. Not to mention there is often a lot of vehicles parked in front of the busier stations and high amount of traffic to dodge.

Something else to consider, you have to be aware of the steepness of the stations entrance and exits, longer trailers will bottom out much easier than short trailers.. So you need to watch for stations that have a gradual entrance and exit pitch.

I have run into a few that hit the tongue jack AND the rear drag bars, scrapping both times.. Don't want to high center the trailer and be stuck half in traffic..

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 09:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look for Shell stations. They usually have higher prices and are not crowded because of that.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to avoid gas in the city and watch for truck stops out on the highway. Otherwise I just wait my turn at the most accessible slot. If I unhitch for the night I make sure to be topped off for leaving.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/21 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

[image]

Often that results in extremely tight turns to get around the islands without hitting the station store.. Not to mention there is often a lot of vehicles parked in front of the busier stations and high amount of traffic to dodge.

Something else to consider, you have to be aware of the steepness of the stations entrance and exits, longer trailers will bottom out much easier than short trailers.. So you need to watch for stations that have a gradual entrance and exit pitch.

I have run into a few that hit the tongue jack AND the rear drag bars, scrapping both times.. Don't want to high center the trailer and be stuck half in traffic..

Interesting, almost all of the stations I look for are like your X diagram, but I look for ones with sufficient room to make it easy, Pilots, Flying J, Sheetz, Racetrack, etc where there is 3-4 car widths between the overhang and the back of the cars at the convenience store. I pre-select my stops at ~170 mile intervals and have a backup to each one in case I can't get to my primary for some reason.

My biggest tip is use Google maps in terrain mode and street view mode to look at the stations ahead of time.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Rover_Bill

NE. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/21 11:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 for street view in Google maps!

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 for street view on Google Maps.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 04:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

[image]

I often find the ones you show as good...undesirable. That configuration is often used when the station has limited land to work with.

On the other hand, most modern stations with lots of space, use the style...you find undesirable.

Thoughts:
- Fill up before hooking up when possible.
- As others have said, look on Google Maps
- Truck stops and rural stations as opposed to stations in urban areas are often more wide open.
- Don't be afraid to wait for an end pump that's easier to get into.
- Don't be afraid to have the copilot get out and back you up to get out.

* This post was edited 03/04/21 07:07am by valhalla360 *

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fill up before hooking up and fill up again after arriving at destination while out exploring.

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I prefer one that is easy in and easy out on the right hand side of the road. That said I've had times I had to back in or back out. Doesn't matter I can back as easy as go forward.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Trailering
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.