Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would you back a camper for someone?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Would you back a camper for someone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

learn that those mirrors on the rv are your friend. you can do it. just like baking a cake.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Years ago a friend of ours was badly injured at camp (blew out his knee and needed it replaced). We all helped out by packing them up and babysitting their daughters (and doing a TON of dishes) while his wife took him to the ER to get temporarily fixed up.

His wife drove him home and parked their trailer on the street when they got there. The next day I drove over there and parked their trailer behind their hose for them, because it was too tight and scary for her to back it up.

So yes, there are helpful people in the world.

This isn't an all or nothing case though. You'll slowly get used to towing and eventually even backing.

There are some amazing Youtube videos that teach a back-up parking technique called "The Scoop" or "The Swoop". They're worth taking a look and giving it a try.

The kindness of strangers will be a big help until you develop the skills and techniques to do it yourself.

And good for you for supporting your husband this way. It sounds like he's a lucky man.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure, I would have no issue helping someone back their TT into a site. My DW is the same way, she can do most everything as it pertains to hitching/unhitching, but hates to back our rig into a site. She has practiced a little lately and has started to improve her backing skills, I tell her not to hurry or worry who's watching, and don't be afraid to start again as you can pretty much tell from the get go if your are off track. I still do it most of the time although with all the practice she will do it from time to time. Glad you are going to take your DH RVing, I know it will do wonders for his overall wellbeing.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most certainly. But you need to wave me over. I would not be inclined to intrude unless asked.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few times I have walked along side and told which way to turn the wheel. Every time they said it was easier then they thought. If someone walks you thru it you will see how easy it is.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have backed several rv's in for folks but I will have to be asked to help. Get pull thru's when you can for now.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

QCMan

Independent Republic of Horry

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I would also help or jump in and do it for you. That said, it is not rocket science. As stated above, your mirrors are your friends. When backing, put your favorite driving hand on the bottom of the wheel and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go. Relax, take your time and be patient. No skill is attained instantly. Enjoy the experience as it is another rewarding part of camping.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d don’t offer to back someone else’s rig. I’ll offer to help guide them in but that’s as far as I go. I’ve never been able to back up boats, trailers, etc. that’s why I have a MH and a flat tow vehicle.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have backed several in for other people. I have backed my 40ft DP into my driveway towing a 32ft enclosed trailer many, many times. All from the drivers side. You take your time and practice you will be ok just go slow and if its not going where you want stop, pull forward, and start over.....Don't worry about the gawkers, they to were learning once up on a time.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learn for yourself.
Basics: Put a hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move the your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go. How far you move hand determines how much the trailer will turn.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Would you back a camper for someone?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.