cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Firman generator on sale at Costco

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
Firman 1600W Running / 2000W Peak Gasoline Powered Inverter Generator On sale at Costco for 349.99
Includes parallel cables
Sale starts March 10
Available in-store or online
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1
19 REPLIES 19

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
jjrbus wrote:
The BIG problem with the Hondas is the replacement parts are expensive. That is what I have been told. On my 6th Honda and have not bought a replacement part.

6th Honda, do you just toss them away when they quit working? :B

First one was an open frame Honda, replaced that with 2 2000 watt, then I sold for about what I paid for them and replaced with a Onan diesel genset, BIG mistake! Next was a Honda EV which I let go with the RV I sold, still kicking myself for not keeping.

Bought a used 2000 and kept it for a few years, sold it for more than I paid and now on #6 which I have had about 4 years. This is over a 20 year period, Think I bought the open frame Honda in 2000?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I think the market place is changing. The off brand gensets are better than they were just a few years ago. There is a market for an inexpensive genset that is only used occasionally. Once upon a time Honda was the only way to go, however in today's market the bargain priced gensets have a niche to fill.
The off brands are not equal to a Honda, but they still get the job done for the occasional user.

I do agree with you, that is why after thinking about my response I added my disclaimer.
In the group we normally camp with, myself and one other guy got made fun of for spending so much on our Honda generators. Our group almost always only boondock/dry camp, so the generators are a big deal to our group. The two of us are still using our Hondas over 10 years later. They have bought enough Champions, Predators, and some other brands that escape me right now but were cheap, that they could have just bought Hondas and been money ahead.

In the last few years, I have added enough solar that I hardly use a generator any more, but I will not give the Hondas up.

Funny how the genset discussion has evolved.
The ultimate set up is no longer a Honda. It is no longer a genset at all.
Solar has come a long way that it is possible to run a RV A/C unit a few hours now via an inverter and large battery bank.
Just a few yeas ago running a A/C unit via batteries was virtually impossible. Currently state of the art solar set ups make A/C possible.
With that in mind one could be heavily invested in solar/batteries and have a off brand less expensive genset as a back up.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
#1Flyboy wrote:
Iโ€™m a fan of a Honda or Yamaha; dependable, repairable if they ever quit working, High resale value, not made in Communist China!

must be loving it in the dark. So where are some of the honda's and their parts made? :S

This seems to be more of a geography question rather than an implied design or quality question, but unlike some globalist advocates, trust that Iโ€™m no fan of Chairman Xi...

3 tons

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Would be nice if Costco offers a good deal on a 9k-12k watt genny for home use.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Chew and spit?

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjrbus wrote:
The BIG problem with the Hondas is the replacement parts are expensive. That is what I have been told. On my 6th Honda and have not bought a replacement part.

6th Honda, do you just toss them away when they quit working? :B

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
4x4van wrote:
Could buy 3 of the Firmans for the price of 1 Honda.

And you might have to.
Key word being โ€œmightโ€.

dieseltruckdriver wrote:
Parked near a friend using the Predator 3500 inverter generator, they are loud compared to a Honda 2000. It was also loud compared to his Champion 2000 inverter generator that he switched to later.
Comparing the loudness of a 3500 (of any brand) to a 2000 is more than a bit unfair; apples to oranges. Even the Honda 3500 would have been louder than the Honda 2000.

The Champion, Predator, Firman 2000 are within a few decibels of the Honda/Yamaha, depending on load. You are correct, though; it really depends on usage as to which generator is the way to go for any individual. As Lantley said; the quality of the "other" generators has improved over the last few years, and there is without a doubt a place in the market for a relatively inexpensive generator that does not see heavy use.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
I think the market place is changing. The off brand gensets are better than they were just a few years ago. There is a market for an inexpensive genset that is only used occasionally. Once upon a time Honda was the only way to go, however in today's market the bargain priced gensets have a niche to fill.
The off brands are not equal to a Honda, but they still get the job done for the occasional user.

I do agree with you, that is why after thinking about my response I added my disclaimer.
In the group we normally camp with, myself and one other guy got made fun of for spending so much on our Honda generators. Our group almost always only boondock/dry camp, so the generators are a big deal to our group. The two of us are still using our Hondas over 10 years later. They have bought enough Champions, Predators, and some other brands that escape me right now but were cheap, that they could have just bought Hondas and been money ahead.

In the last few years, I have added enough solar that I hardly use a generator any more, but I will not give the Hondas up.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
4x4van wrote:

And you might have to.

I should also add that it would depend on the usage. If it is going to be for someone who boondocks quite a lot, I would go for the Honda. If it for just in case and not really depending on it, then it is probably fine.

Parked near a friend using the Predator 3500 inverter generator, they are loud compared to a Honda 2000. It was also loud compared to his Champion 2000 inverter generator that he switched to later.
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:

And you might have to.
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
Iโ€™m a fan of a Honda or Yamaha; dependable, repairable if they ever quit working, High resale value, not made in Communist China!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:

must be loving it in the dark. So where are some of the honda's and their parts made? :S