cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed the rear springs

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
(My 2018 diesel Ram 4x4 2500 has coil springs front and back. I'm overloaded on my 5th wheel (2000lb hitch weight) and total GVWR by 800 lbs after everything is loaded up for travel.
My local spring guy claims a heavier duty coil spring upgrade would solve the overload problem, since everything else on the 2500 is heavy duty. I would like to know if anyone else did the same to their similar truck and recommend it. Thanks.)

That was my last post. Today, I got my truck back from the local spring shop with new heavier duty rear springs. They ride great, if not better than the worn in originals. The next thing is to test the load from the fiver, but have to wait for some snow and ice to melt in the storage lot. Hopefully, the lights in the faces of oncoming traffic will be fixed. If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags.
21 REPLIES 21

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FlatBroke wrote:
Have bags 5# empty, loaded without any changes it goes to 30#s. Now with my Bilstiens replacing my adjustable Ranchos, its hook and go. Perfect in every way.

EXACT same with my last RAM DRW.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TravelinDog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Curious why you quoted me as nothing you just stated correlates with what I said???

Sorry about that, I meant to quote plumber802

Cool Daddy!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
Have bags 5# empty, loaded without any changes it goes to 30#s. Now with my Bilstiens replacing my adjustable Ranchos, its hook and go. Perfect in every way.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Curious why you quoted me as nothing you just stated correlates with what I said???

Sorry about that, I meant to quote plumber802
Just say no to the payload police :C

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
TravelinDog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags."

IMHO bags should have been the first choice.

bags are a bandaid, springs are probably the best choice but also the most expensive. having had bags before I would buy timberans before I waisted money on bags again.

Steve

Are they the hollow rubber springs that make contact only when truck loaded? Like these?

yup, there set up about an inch off the stop so unloaded you have a factory ride, but loaded they add support. I had them on my F250 when I bought my 5th and it road like a dreem, but I was overloaded so I did two trips and bought a newer 1 ton.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
TravelinDog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
People who don't like the ride of their air bags when towing most likely have too much air in them. I only ran 30psi LOADED with 4,500# pin on my 11 DRW RAM and the ride was dramatically improved over stock.

Unloaded they make zero difference since you only should run 0-5 psi.

I like how people say you should go out and buy a bigger truck.
Not everyone can just go out and buy a $60,000+ truck to haul the 5er.
I have a 2500 Ram diesel very much like the OP. I will be looking to do the same thing as him because the truck will not be towing our future 5er 95% of the time.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, but air bags ride a lot better, and work to supplement your existing springs.
I have a 2018 2500 and run 15psi in the air bags when towing. and zero when not, since they have the jounce bumper built in them.

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

bags are a bandaid, springs are probably the best choice but also the most expensive. having had bags before I would buy timberans before I waisted money on bags again.

Steve

Are they the hollow rubber springs that make contact only when truck loaded? Like these?

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
People who don't like the ride of their air bags when towing most likely have too much air in them. I only ran 30psi LOADED with 4,500# pin on my 11 DRW RAM and the ride was dramatically improved over stock.

I like how people say you should go out and buy a bigger truck.
Not everyone can just go out and buy a $60,000+ truck to haul the 5er.
I have a 2500 Ram diesel very much like the OP. I will be looking to do the same thing as him because the truck will not be towing our future 5er 95% of the time.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

plumber802
Explorer
Explorer
If you are over your payload allowance then you might need a bigger truck. I had Firestone Ride Rite air bags on our 2008 Chevy 2500 and liked them but the rig was well within payload specs.
Andy and Linda, St-Albans, Vermont.
Retired Union Pipe Fitter/Plumber. Former LEO 1994-2004.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Steve

Not really. Two whimpy full length springs to hold things together and then the air bags do all the work. 9,750# on the rear tires. Nice ride loaded or not.

YES this ia Factory Rear Air Ride but the same applies with standard springs.

I bought airbags and put them on my old truck, worst money I ever spent. Timberins is what replaced them and was a much better ride.

Air bags or any other unit you can use wont raise your GVW so there only purpose is to make you level when loaded properly. but I guess what ever your happy with your happy with.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Steve

I run empty, pull a small trailer and a large one, the air bags are adjusted with the preset buttons in an instant. Springs might take a while.

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
The Firestone airbags that I had on my old GMC 2500 worked great leveling my Cedar Creek Silverback....and I was way over the truck's GVWR....I did add wider wheels and tires to support the weight. The airbag alone configuration worked well for 9 years. The airbags were installed when I bought the 5ver, which also came with a compressor. It was installed in the truck's engine compartment and with a switch I was able to add/subtract air on the fly. I only had the wider wheels the last 3 years before I bought my current dually.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL