Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Changed the rear springs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Changed the rear springs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

(My 2018 diesel Ram 4x4 2500 has coil springs front and back. I'm overloaded on my 5th wheel (2000lb hitch weight) and total GVWR by 800 lbs after everything is loaded up for travel.
My local spring guy claims a heavier duty coil spring upgrade would solve the overload problem, since everything else on the 2500 is heavy duty. I would like to know if anyone else did the same to their similar truck and recommend it. Thanks.)

That was my last post. Today, I got my truck back from the local spring shop with new heavier duty rear springs. They ride great, if not better than the worn in originals. The next thing is to test the load from the fiver, but have to wait for some snow and ice to melt in the storage lot. Hopefully, the lights in the faces of oncoming traffic will be fixed. If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/21 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update.

How deep did you have to dig into your pockets?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Phantom wrote:

(My 2018 diesel Ram 4x4 2500 has coil springs front and back. I'm overloaded on my 5th wheel (2000lb hitch weight) and total GVWR by 800 lbs after everything is loaded up for travel.
My local spring guy claims a heavier duty coil spring upgrade would solve the overload problem, since everything else on the 2500 is heavy duty. I would like to know if anyone else did the same to their similar truck and recommend it. Thanks.)

That was my last post. Today, I got my truck back from the local spring shop with new heavier duty rear springs. They ride great, if not better than the worn in originals. The next thing is to test the load from the fiver, but have to wait for some snow and ice to melt in the storage lot. Hopefully, the lights in the faces of oncoming traffic will be fixed. If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags.

Well you are still overloaded, by GVWR, and wondering just how close you are to tire and axle ratings. Don’t know what 5er you have but if you are at 10,800# GVWR unless you carry a ton of stuff in the bed your pin is closer to 2,500#. Otherwise math says your truck less pin weighs 8,800#,’which is 200# more than my 2016 Ram 3500 DRW base weight.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" If not, then I'll have to install a pair of airbags."

IMHO bags should have been the first choice.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Agree...if you needed anything at all, bags should have been first consideration.

Jerry

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I replaced my broken air bags with Timbrins. The air bag cradle broke the welds to the frame.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

bags are a bandaid, springs are probably the best choice but also the most expensive. having had bags before I would buy timberans before I waisted money on bags again.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

bags are a bandaid, springs are probably the best choice but also the most expensive. having had bags before I would buy timberans before I waisted money on bags again.

Steve

Not really. Two whimpy full length springs to hold things together and then the air bags do all the work. 9,750# on the rear tires. Nice ride loaded or not.

YES this ia Factory Rear Air Ride but the same applies with standard springs.

[image]

Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Firestone airbags that I had on my old GMC 2500 worked great leveling my Cedar Creek Silverback....and I was way over the truck's GVWR....I did add wider wheels and tires to support the weight. The airbag alone configuration worked well for 9 years. The airbags were installed when I bought the 5ver, which also came with a compressor. It was installed in the truck's engine compartment and with a switch I was able to add/subtract air on the fly. I only had the wider wheels the last 3 years before I bought my current dually.

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/21 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Steve

I run empty, pull a small trailer and a large one, the air bags are adjusted with the preset buttons in an instant. Springs might take a while.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Changed the rear springs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.