cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wiring a boat

kartsahd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a small skiff and am trying to keep it simple. I do not want to have to put in a panel I just want to tap into the hot wire that goes to battery from outboard to run a depth finder and maybe a charger for phones. Both will be fused does it matter where the wires tap in because the battery will be in front of boat but I plan to splice into power in the back of boat before it reaches battery.
4 REPLIES 4

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A skiff is a different boat to different people. The common understanding is that it will be less than 20' long generally.

Do you have a side console, a center console or tiller steer? Where will the depth finder/fish liar be mounted? For mine I ran a decent gauge line from my battery switch to a bus bar in the console. From that power can be supplied to all accessories, navigation lights, cigarette lighter, depth finder, anything else 12V that I might want to power.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Best to use stranded wire.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider connecting the + where the battery + connects to the outboard starter solenoid, and the - where the battery - connects to the outboard. Crimp eyelets to your wires for a cleaner connection.

If there is enough threaded post exposed on the solenoid, get an additional nut to add your connection on top of the existing nut. This protects the integrity of the current carrying starter connection path.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Doesn't matter where you tap in