Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Star Link
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Star Link

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

I could not use Hughes because of its high latency time that makes VPN run at modem speeds.

I might be over-stating this here, but I think Starlink is wrong to suggest the latency of its system is so good. The obstructions, beta downtime, and no satellites of the beta are nearly unacceptable.

Elon says space should be exciting. Starlink is exciting. First there is anticipation about the order, and now I have anticipation about more satellite 'fixing' the downtime issues.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

justme wrote:

I could not use Hughes because of its high latency time that makes VPN run at modem speeds.

I might be over-stating this here, but I think Starlink is wrong to suggest the latency of its system is so good. The obstructions, beta downtime, and no satellites of the beta are nearly unacceptable.

Elon says space should be exciting. Starlink is exciting. First there is anticipation about the order, and now I have an anticipation about more satellite 'fixing' the downtime issues.
From what I see on Youtube of that shows latency, it is much better than Huges Net and would be OK for VPN. That is the difference between low and high orbit satellites. I measure Hughes which was over 150ms and Starlink was below 50ms.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

From what I see on Youtube of that shows latency, it is much better than Huges Net and would be OK for VPN. That is the difference between low and high orbit satellites. I measure Hughes which was over 150ms and Starlink was below 50ms.

The latency becomes infinite during the downtimes I've mentioned. If the application you're using has a long timeout, you're fine.

sch911

Rochester Hills, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

Elon says space should be exciting. Starlink is exciting. First there is anticipation about the order, and now I have anticipation about more satellite 'fixing' the downtime issues.

Latency is not an issue, period.

You must be an astronomer, or at least a wannabe one.

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our local school systems are using it to extend internet services to some of their students who live in very rural, mountainous areas of our county. According to our technology director, it's working well. These are residences that don't move, so...

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only about 8% of the satellites have been launched. Also the satellites are getting improvements as they go. Current situation will improve.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

The incredible speeds shown on the Youtube videos occurs when you are standing right next to the Starlink router. In my home, the router is 30 feet away and the signal passes through the floor of my living room. In my case, this cuts the bandwidth down from 100 Mbps to about 40 Mbps.
Is there no ethernet connection to get through obstructions?

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

I entered my name on the Starlink website way back last year. Then in early February, I received an email stating I could order a unit...

Good info. I also received my invite in late February to order Starlink, but holding off as I didn't think they had enough satellites to cover Washington, DC yet? Looks like we're at a similar latitude? May actually work in my area.

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sch911 wrote:

May not be for an internet user, but latency is a big concern for businesses. Amazon has said their research indicates they lose $160 million in sales annually for every 100 milliseconds (0.1 sec) of latency. The reason Amazon AWS is so focused on keeping it to a minimum.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/21 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1492 wrote:

sch911 wrote:

May not be for an internet user, but latency is a big concern for businesses. Amazon has said their research indicates they lose $160 million in sales annually for every 100 milliseconds (0.1 sec) of latency. The reason Amazon AWS is so focused on keeping it to a minimum.
Compared to what? The Federal incentives are to cover the many rural people operating at dialup speeds or no access. This has to be a vast improvement.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Star Link
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.