Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: And so it begins. (In North America).
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> And so it begins. (In North America).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way any of the big cities could support 100% EV as it is now... Heck, there are shootings over parking spots that were shoveled after a snow, could you imagine what would happen over an electrical plug?

Most of the electrical grid is too old as it is, including the old school, screw in fuses.

Take a walk around some inner cities and tell us what you find.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

There is no way any of the big cities could support 100% EV as it is now... Heck, there are shootings over parking spots that were shoveled after a snow, could you imagine what would happen over an electrical plug?

Most of the electrical grid is too old as it is, including the old school, screw in fuses.

Wow. Sad situation.

hornet28

Muskegon Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Matt_Colie wrote:

Matt
Ed and I were talking about this yesterday. In our rural neighborhood in Michigan, if my neighbor turns on his table saw, my lights dim. We are praying that none of our neighbors goes electric, because their one vehicle will probably make the rest of us haul out the kerosene lamps....

The infrastructure is NOT in place for a bunch of kilowatt gobblers.

You need to talk to someone at you electric provider. They need to put a transformer at his place. Back when I was on the farm that was done at my place so when I was welding it didn't draw the neighbors down

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Right. Refer to my post about the current ( no pun intended) EV demographic and what will be the future demographic for a good while.
Bottom line, it will take a major shift in everything to put EVs in a majority position. Political, economic, environmental, infrastructure, to name a few of the big ones.
Not saying it won’t happen, but the relentless predictions (or wishes as I see them) by the folks that are swinging off of Elon’s nutz is a little tiring.
I mean, I don’t start threads every day about how I modded my diesel truck and how I think everyone else should....

And to those comparing EVs now to the transition from horses and trains to personal automobiles, that is apples and oranges. We already have the currently (again no pun intended) most economical, some might say cheap, efficient way to cross the city or country on wheels.
EVs don’t change that game. Can’t do it cheaper, can’t get there faster, etc.
The progression will be slower, as EVs are not only in the infancy stage and need to grow, but they are also competing against an industry that is much bigger than the shoe industry 100 years ago!
As always I’ll qualify, I love the technology and see the progression towards alternative fuels not as a bad thing, but I’m a realist not a dreamer, who understands, at least conceptually what is required for this change. Something that right-brained people don’t understand when they charge their iPhone or automobile from that “magic” plug in their wall.
The left brained people still have to make the “miracles” a reality for the dreamers. And they’re working on it, but it’s not as easy as the right brains make it seem.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhat misleading article. It states gas stations are fewer and fewer as places like Costco, Sams Club and other large stores build or expand their gas stations. These are still gas stations. Here in AZ I have seen new gas stations being built every month as the city continues to grow.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mileshuff wrote:

Somewhat misleading article. It states gas stations are fewer and fewer as places like Costco, Sams Club and other large stores build or expand their gas stations. These are still gas stations. Here in AZ I have seen new gas stations being built every month as the city continues to grow.

Yah good point. We have less gas stations in our town. But I would bet that there are the same amount of pumps.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

Wow. Sad situation.

Sad, but 100% true in the inner cities...

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hornet28 wrote:

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Matt_Colie wrote:

Matt
Ed and I were talking about this yesterday. In our rural neighborhood in Michigan, if my neighbor turns on his table saw, my lights dim. We are praying that none of our neighbors goes electric, because their one vehicle will probably make the rest of us haul out the kerosene lamps....

You need to talk to someone at you electric provider. They need to put a transformer at his place. Back when I was on the farm that was done at my place so when I was welding it didn't draw the neighbors down

Interesting. In our case, 167 homes are crammed onto an inland lake peninsula; and I doubt there are many transformers. I'll have to count...

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Sounds like you and your neighbor are likely sharing the same transformer. That's not unusual at all in that case, to see a dip when something that pulls a lot of power kicks on (most especially things with large electric motors, such as whole house AC, or in your case, a powerful table saw). Odds are you could both charge electric cars just fine, but when his (or your) charger kicks on you might notice a similar brief dip if you're using fast, high power, chargers. Most people don't, by the way. If you didn't want that dip, it's likely that all that is needed is to have the power company install separate transformers for your two houses. Per code, the transformer has to be able to handle at least the full load for all houses supplied by that transformer. As an example, if you both have 200 amp panels, it has to be able to handle at least 400 amps of load. If one of you upgraded your panel to a 300 amp panel, one of the things done during inspection is to make sure the transformer can handle the additional load. If it can't, the power company would be called out to upgrade the transformer, or install separate ones.

As with everything new that comes along with technology, the doomsayers act as if the changeover will happen overnight. It won't. It will happen, in this case, probably over something on the order of 3 decades (maybe 4), as the fleet of ICE cars still being made and sold over the next 10-15 years slowly ages out of active service. In the meantime, more and more people will choose electric instead of ICE. This will result in an increasing slope of people choosing electric, a decreasing slope of people choosing ICE, over the next 10-15 years. Then after that, there's another 10-15 years while those last few years of ICE cars are still in active service. This will result in a slow transition that takes several decades in most areas that will give power companies the time they need to respond and adjust to the change in demand, including upgrading supply lines, transformers, grid interconnects, and adding new generation capacity.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post.

By the way, if we use our 32 amp EVSE (charge station) once it gets plugged in the car ramps the current up slowly over about 15 seconds. No big sudden loads. The car can be set to charge anywhere from 8 amps to 48 amps on 240 or 8 amps to 24 amps on 120 volts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> And so it begins. (In North America).
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.