cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HarvestHost......anyone using it?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saw ad on Facebook and since I don't travel often, and rarely like staying in the campgrounds, wondering if this might be a good option? Stayed in Wallymart parking lots overnight and it's ok but sometimes quite loud/bright but doable. Free parking overnight on farms, wineries, etc. for an annual fee of $79. Only drawback from literature I saw was the need to arrive before closing time. I guess so they know you're a member and legit.

PS: Other than calling a local campground and paying to empty tanks, are there other places that offer this well-needed facility while traveling and boondocking?
20 REPLIES 20

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
We've been members of Harvest Host for 2 1/2 years and haven't stayed at one yet. I just gotta have my 50A service and it seems that a lot of the HH sites prohibit generators. Air conditioning has value where I come from. If they expect you to spend $20 bucks when you stay at a HH I'll likely continue to pay a little more and get a FHU site in a RV park. Not everything suits everybody.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
EMD360 wrote:
I just heard about boondockers welcome and wondered if it we would like to host. The Terms of Use are somewhat formidable but probably similar to something like Airbnb. I like that itโ€™s a free night or two for travelers. Our town approved Airbnb so itโ€™s probably legal. Iโ€™m wondering if itโ€™s asking for trouble from people who carry and think guns are a solution to being unhappy or angry with someone or have annoying dogs they donโ€™t clean up after. We could provide 15 amp service but not enough to run air conditioning etc. Boondockers would have to run generators at least part of the time. Would our neighbors hate the idea? Would you? We have about 2 acres and our neighbors have at least an acre lot and itโ€™s semi rural.
If your area does not have ambient noise normally, a generator running at night will be highly annoying. Don't understand the concern over guns unless you plan on making the guests unhappy and angry. And yes, as a former RV park owner people will have dogs that bark and some owners will not clean up after them. If you are rural and your lawns not fully manicured the dog waste issue (and the likelihood the guests will drain a gray tank onto the ground) will increase. Another concern is how will your neighbors react to a stream of unknown individuals camping in the area. Remember not all RV occupants are related to Mother Teresa.

ArtDecoMan
Explorer
Explorer
New user here . In the eastern US "free" and "overnight" don't appear together often. Not interested in a restaurant parking lot, so I got a HH menbership and used it twice for overnight stops - both farms. No pressure to buy, but I bought a couple of inexpensive dried soup mixes, some coffee and tea, a pacgage of homenade cookies, and homemade jam. It's fine for that type of use.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As a long time and well used Boondockers Welcome host, I can tell you exactly what it is like.

You set up the account.
If you are near a place that people want to go or convenient to a well traveled highway, be ready.
Publish accurate descriptions and have a good set of directions to find you.
Be honest about what you can fit. We do have issues with longer trailers and monster coaches.
We are something over two dozen now and that is with nothing in 2020.
It is a great way to meet interesting people.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I just heard about boondockers welcome and wondered if it we would like to host. The Terms of Use are somewhat formidable but probably similar to something like Airbnb. I like that itโ€™s a free night or two for travelers. Our town approved Airbnb so itโ€™s probably legal. Iโ€™m wondering if itโ€™s asking for trouble from people who carry and think guns are a solution to being unhappy or angry with someone or have annoying dogs they donโ€™t clean up after. We could provide 15 amp service but not enough to run air conditioning etc. Boondockers would have to run generators at least part of the time. Would our neighbors hate the idea? Would you? We have about 2 acres and our neighbors have at least an acre lot and itโ€™s semi rural.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
We use both Harvest Hosts and Boondockers Welcome (now the same company, but keeping things separately). We've only full-timed since April, but have gotten our moneys worth. Four stays with different Harvest Hosts, including breweries and a Lavender Farm. We prefer Boondockers because most places we have the option to stay multiple nights, and many have hookups. We just finished a six night stay in Centuria, WI at a 'hobby farm'. Super friendly folks, 50 amp power, and water. We visit an aunt in Luck, WI., just 10 minutes away. We're already planning another trip next spring.

I have been able to make a few same day stops, but since we're full timers, I have a pretty solid itinerary planned in advance.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1

JJChomp
Explorer
Explorer
Harvest Hosts this summer was a joke, I couldnt find one host in at least 2 and 1/2 weeks on the road out of almost three months out west. The closet date that I could find in any of my travels was two weeks out. Just cancelled and requested a refund.
John & Jackie
Mandalay 40E

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
One of my former coworkers used HH a great deal for 2 different extended trips. They liked it well enough to use it twice. He said there were some great locations, much quieter and prettier than a road side RV park.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A friend didnโ€™t renew his HH as he was tired of drinking so so wines. I probably will not too as this past summer I only used it once. Arrived at another one at 3 PM (spent $60) but continued on as it was to early to stop on our trip West.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

road_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to travel without a lot of reservations โ€“ that way, I can explore as I go along. Can anyone comment on their experience with same-day stays at HH?
Steve

2020 Silverado
2020 Flagstaff E-Pro E15TB

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
As I see it, one of the benefits of RVing is the ability to park when needed, where needed, for free. The "free" part helps immensely with the cost of fuel for people like me who watch their expenditures.

With that said, we are most comfortable in Walmart parking lots, followed by rest areas. Places like Cabela's and Cracker Barrel don't suit us because of the lack of other RVers, and that those places are closed during over-night hours. There is something to be said about "activity and safety in numbers".

I can see taking advantage of HarvetHost if those are places you like to patronize.

As far as dumping waste water and replenishing fresh water, there are enough opportunities throughout.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm .... from what I can see - Harvest Hosts does show a zoomable map window at the link below, where you even can filter the types of hosts you want to see by clicking on the map filter icons at the bottom of the map window. You don't have to be a member to see this map that's available right on their general website.

What you can't see - unless a member - is specific details on each host, but you do know where each host is located on the map for trip planning. If you're a member, you can see specific host details on each host by clicking on each host location symbol on the map.

Here's the link: https://harvesthosts.com/host-locations/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, the lack of a real map showing the HH sites prior to joining is really a poor business decision IMHO. We're all grown adults who have $$ to spend on memberships that may benefit us as well as the product being sold (overnighting). But "sight unseen" leaves an empty feeling inside and warning flags galore.

TwistedGray
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
The reason we haven't signed up is they don't let you see what sites are available until you pay for membership. They give some C&B story about protecting the privacy of hosts but that makes no sense as the whole point is it acts as a form of marketing to get people to these businesses.

Yeah, that's an obvious deal breaker.

I would consider signing up if I knew in my general RV path that I'd have places to stay; otherwise, what's the point if there is only one or two even remotely nearby?

They could at least develop a map with general locations or a general density map demonstrating areas of higher availability (of locations/member spots).

Bummer...I like the idea though.