cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why Can't I Reserve this?

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
This morning I went on to Reserve America. Anastasia SP in Florida has an 11 month booking window. If you open the tab that says "booking window" it says you can book from Mar 06, 2021 to Feb 06, 2022. Great!

When I look at the sites, there a couple of green ones, so I click on them, but I can't book 2 weeks? Okay, so in order to get 2 weeks in a row, do I need to make a new reservation everyday? If I wait for 2 weeks to come available, I'll never get a site. Most campgrounds allow you to book 2 weeks, as long as your first day is within the book window.

Secondly, why are the sites on Feb 02, 2022 an on blocked out? The booking window says I can book to Feb. 06, 2022.

What am I missing?

Screenshot of Reserve America
2019 F150 Ecoboost
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS
9 REPLIES 9

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
The other issue is if youโ€™re trying to book 2 weeks but somebodyโ€™s has booked the weekend in the middle it wonโ€™t allow your booking.

Try booking only M-F and see if you get a different result.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
First, I think unavailable may mean it is in someones "cart" and they have 15 minutes to complete the sale. I was having issues with reserve america for the past week. All kinds of hiccups. Was not opening site until 8:03 according to my cell phone. Also it would pop up an error page. Not good timing as there is a minute window in which to get some sites in Florida. After I got the error message this morning I realized the site was in my cart!!!!!! Awesome. Then another error message as the clock ran down. Finally cleared after about 5 minutes then the clock reset to 15 minutes to allow time to finish. Really ran me through my paces. But HOORAY! I got a site for two weeks! So be ready at 8 am because the sites go the first minute in many parks for peak seasons. And look at your basket(top right) to see if it went in. Also think about recreation.gov. There is a really nice full hookup camp at I think Salt Springs? in Ocala National Forest. Beware I think these have privatized and some have dropped the 6 month window favored by park service in favor of a year or more.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I have stayed here once before, when I was growing up and camping with my parents. At that time we could drive our vehicle onto the beach. I don't think that's allowed anymore?

I'm not sure about St Augustine Beach but a number of towns on the coast allow you to drive on the beach for a fee, $5 or so IIRC. Depends on Turtle nesting season too.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
charlestonsouthern wrote:
Quantum82 -- Have you ever visited Anastasia State Park? The good news first: It has a beautiful beach. The bad news second: The best HIGH sites are for the size of popup campers; that is why most pop up camper clubs and rallies are held at this park.

Yes, I have stayed here once before, when I was growing up and camping with my parents. At that time we could drive our vehicle onto the beach. I don't think that's allowed anymore?
2019 F150 Ecoboost

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Quantum82 -- Have you ever visited Anastasia State Park? The good news first: It has a beautiful beach. The bad news second: The best HIGH sites are for the size of popup campers; that is why most pop up camper clubs and rallies are held at this park.

The first and only time we stayed there, we were assigned a larger and a very low site for our 27-foot RV off of a graded dirt road; when we backed in, it was like we were backing into a gold-fish bowl; the graded dirt road was high above the site. We knew that in the last few days there had been a lot of rain and flooding in the St. Augustine area, but we thought it was over until we checked the weather report after we had parked the RV. Yes, another deluge was coming that same night, and we were sitting in a goldfish bowl. We talked the weather problem over with other campers with similar sites along the dirt road, they also decided that they did not want to be caught in a mud pit if another storm came. But if you have a small pop up camper, you will be in hog heaven with the high (but small) sandy lots. However, those lots will not fit medium to large RVs.

Quantum82
Explorer
Explorer
david1601 wrote:
You can make reservations to any Florida State Park 11 months in advance for 14 days. The trick is that if you found a park and wanted to make a reservation for Feb. 7-Feb. 21, which is eleven months from tomorrow, you will need to book that in the morning at 8AM eastern time.

The problem is that even if the campground has a bunch of sites available for the selected dates they will get booked within one second of 8:00 AM. Trust me, I just made some of my reservations for Jonathan Dickinson State Park near Jupiter today for Feb. 6th 2022 for 14 days.

It took me over a week to get a site trying every day at 8AM.
Second problem is you are not the only person trying to book the available sites. Hundreds of others want those site too. My advice is be patient and be ready at exactly 8 AM and try to book them quickly. Remember you will have a second or two.

The screenshot you posted shows all sites reserved because they are already taken. There are a couple of single days available but all the days prior to those dates and following those dates are booked already. Just keep trying. How much you try depends on how badly you want to stay there.

We went through the same thing last year when booking state parks in Florida for January and February of this year. Just got home last week.

Thanks. Your explanation makes sense, and its exactly how I thought the system worked.

That said, the booking window is open until Feb 6, 2022, yet you can't book Feb. 6, 2022. ALL the sites are unavaialbe....not reserved...unavailable. I'm guessing like a previous poster wrote, the park is probably closing for one reason or another.
2019 F150 Ecoboost

david1601
Explorer
Explorer
You can make reservations to any Florida State Park 11 months in advance for 14 days. The trick is that if you found a park and wanted to make a reservation for Feb. 7-Feb. 21, which is eleven months from tomorrow, you will need to book that in the morning at 8AM eastern time.

The problem is that even if the campground has a bunch of sites available for the selected dates they will get booked within one second of 8:00 AM. Trust me, I just made some of my reservations for Jonathan Dickinson State Park near Jupiter today for Feb. 6th 2022 for 14 days.

It took me over a week to get a site trying every day at 8AM.
Second problem is you are not the only person trying to book the available sites. Hundreds of others want those site too. My advice is be patient and be ready at exactly 8 AM and try to book them quickly. Remember you will have a second or two.

The screenshot you posted shows all sites reserved because they are already taken. There are a couple of single days available but all the days prior to those dates and following those dates are booked already. Just keep trying. How much you try depends on how badly you want to stay there.

We went through the same thing last year when booking state parks in Florida for January and February of this year. Just got home last week.
2018 Tiffin 34PA
2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailblazer

David & Ellen
Foley AL

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I'd call the state or the park and ask what's going on. Their online FAQ states that their reservation policies are as you describe: the reservation must start within the reservation window (up to 11 months hence), and can continue beyond that. Maybe the campground is scheduled to be closed for some sort of maintenance or renovation or something and it's not (obviously) posted?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are those walk up sites?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper