Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ac problem and crack in shower basin.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi Guys
A friend of mine has a couple of problems with his 5er. Has anyone had any luck with patching a crack in a shower basin? If so, what did you use?
His A/C started acting up last trip. It will work fine for a day or so but then it starts short cycling. It comes on for a few minutes and shuts off again over and over. I think thermostat. Your opinions?
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds
7 REPLIES 7

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Replace the broken shower base and while you are at it, beef up the support so the new one doesn't crack.

I agree. You can patch it but, that will only be temporary. They are not very expensive or difficult to replace.

I also agree with the posters that said the first step for the AC it to clean it. There should be a filter for the inside and then get up on the roof remove the shroud and blow out it out.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the broken shower base and while you are at it, beef up the support so the new one doesn't crack.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Need to compare the amp draw on the A/C and compare to specs. Could be cycling on the thermal breaker indicating it is shot. Of course clean it first and verify good airflow and no mud nests.

Good luck with the pan.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
Eternabond tape holds up well in the shower. Mine cracked while on a 3,000 mile journey. I would have left it for years, but, I am married....and....well.....
I was thinking about the tape also. It has never failed me before. Things we have to fix for wive's!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Eternabond tape holds up well in the shower. Mine cracked while on a 3,000 mile journey. I would have left it for years, but, I am married....and....well.....

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ac unit could be dirty, take cover off and clean.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Can he get to the under side of the cracked area? If so and his tub is the standard white ABS, he can fix the crack with some ABS adhesive and a piece of flat ABS. Or he can even use ground up ABS bits in a slurry of ABS glue but a flat solid piece of the material is stronger.
If they aren't too concerned with what it looks like they can try using multiple layers of ABS glue alone on the inside.

I recently replaced my tub (HUGE job) because of a crack caused by poor installation. I experimented on the defective tub and found it glues up very easily and the repair is super strong.

I would not use anything but ABS cement - it will be the best at this job.