Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What the heck? I thought motorhomes lost value fast!!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> What the heck? I thought motorhomes lost value fast!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Increased demand has caused used values to rise. NADA values my 5er about $2K more now than a year ago. But, as mentioned, asking price is not necessarily the price they will receive.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree. I've been looking out of curiosity for what's out there when we decide to trade in our towable for a motorized. I saw a 2015 Four Winds Super C Diesel for $104,995!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/21 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

COVID has screwed everything up. Markets are messed up, valuves are messed up, selling prices are messed up.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since covid happened its a sellers market. Home prices are way up here and a lot of times its a biding war.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/21 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep. Absolutely a COVID thing. New RV production went down last year (just like many things). And with air travel so........difficult right now, people are looking for other ways to recreate.

Any "toy" is stupid high in price. RVs, boats, ATVs, sports cars, you name it. At some point (hopefully soon), things will change and values will go back down to reality. My guess is maybe this time next year, but not likely sooner.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Yep. Absolutely a COVID thing. New RV production went down last year (just like many things). And with air travel so........difficult right now, people are looking for other ways to recreate.

Any "toy" is stupid high in price. RVs, boats, ATVs, sports cars, you name it. At some point (hopefully soon), things will change and values will go back down to reality. My guess is maybe this time next year, but not likely sooner.

I agree. Covid shut down conventional travel and everyone started gobbling up RV's. Demand is very high. Supply chains broke down and RV production dropped off so supply is low. I think once things get back to normal we'll see the market saturated with used RV's and prices will fall off.

It's also affecting reservations at CG's. Places we usually have no problem just showing up are booked solid months in advance. There are More Rv'ers than ever - more than CG's sites. My friend calls them COVID Campers.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

A 50+ year old farm tractor like mine sold recently near here for a little over THREE times what my grandfather paid for mine when it was new.

Depreciation is a non-existent thing today.

That's a little different situation. Depreciation eventually bottoms out and then the underlying condition and value of the item takes priority. Depreciation probably maxed out on your tractor at around 15-20yrs. After that inflation started pulling it back up relative to the non-inflation adjusted original price.

Of course a good tractor can be completely functional at 50yrs, so it retains a good underlying value.

Your average run of the mill 1970 RV in typical condition has a underlying value of a few dollars based on the scrap metal.

But to the OP's original post, once you update that to actual sales prices, 5yrs is likely resulting in 30-50% reduction in prices. Pretty typical depreciation.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last Class A that I bought cost the seller over $10,000 to get out from under his loan. He had tried, without success, to sell it for 6 months and finally decided to take his loss and accepted my cash offer.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everybody seemed to latch onto RVing as the best way to socially distance while on vacation, dealers can't keep units on their lots. Camping World is running an ongoing campaign on FB saying "Why store it when you can sell it? We will buy your RV!" 2020 was the best *ever* year for RV sales even though the industry lost a few months of production.

Consensus seems to be that by 2022 the RV market will flip to being a buyers' market as many of the folks that bought RVs in the covid period decide that they don't like RVing and look to unload their lightly-used units.

If you don't have to buy right now, wait another year and you'll get a much better deal.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they decide to dump that big fat payment book will still be there ruining most of the good deals.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> What the heck? I thought motorhomes lost value fast!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.