cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Waxing" a fifth wheel camper

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer
For a few years we have used Rejex on our 2015 fifth wheel fiberglass camper. The last couple of times we applied it was difficult. Being you have to do a lot of this job on a ladder, we want to go back to using something easier to apply and wipe off. We use Turtle Wax Ice on our truck and are super happy with application and results—easy to apply and wipe off. I recently learned about new Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wash and Wax or the Hybrid Solutions Wet Wax which I believe(?) is a polymer like Rejex. How do we go about removing the Rejex other than polishing it off (which we aren’t interested in doing)? Can we just start using something like Turtle Wax Ice or TW Hybrid Solutions (on top of the Rejex without bothering to “remove” it)? Which would better: TW Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wash/Wax, Hybrid Solutions Wet Wax or Turtle Wax Ice? Asking for opinions. THX
31 REPLIES 31

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
BillyandKris wrote:
I wanted to follow up here. I'm the OP. We finally got our camper done with the Wash WaxAll and we are super pleased. SOOOOOO much easier than what we were doing before. No more climbing up and down ladders a million times. We'll see how it holds up, but application and initial results are great! Thanks all for the advice.

Yup, works well, no spending a week for me waxing a fifth wheel, got a lot of others things I would rather do.:)

I found the same thing when I waxed my rig this year; same result in a fraction of the time. :C

Did our car yesterday, took less time then washing ,and drying it. Truck next in the next few days , got a trip next week.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
BillyandKris wrote:
I wanted to follow up here. I'm the OP. We finally got our camper done with the Wash WaxAll and we are super pleased. SOOOOOO much easier than what we were doing before. No more climbing up and down ladders a million times. We'll see how it holds up, but application and initial results are great! Thanks all for the advice.

Yup, works well, no spending a week for me waxing a fifth wheel, got a lot of others things I would rather do.:)

I found the same thing when I waxed my rig this year; same result in a fraction of the time. :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I was sick of paying a detailer $400 bucks to do mine. I just purchase a deionizer system from RV-Mods and a nice foam gun and wash/wax products from Chemical Guys. I pre rinse with my pressure with regular water, hook up my foam gun to my pressure washer and go at it. Then use a wash mop on a pole. Once I get a side done I hook up the deionizer system to the pressure washer and rinse off the soap. Very little drying needed and minimum spots.
Best washing system I've ever used.
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks OP for letting us know how it went.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
BillyandKris wrote:

BillyandKris
Explorer
Explorer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My old '1997 5th wheel RV trailer has over 220k miles on it. The front cap has been etched by hardshell bugs and other debree (sand...tiny gravels/etc) kicked up by semi trucks. It gets a coat of wax a couple of times a summer. Simply sprayed bugs off. I usually do the front cap from the trucks bed when hooked up.
I'm going on 80 pretty quick and after several truck campers and three 5th wheel rv trailers I've found Meguiars cleaner wax stays on longer than all the other polishes/waxes I've used.
Gives me more time to use Meguiars on the 50 hp blue tractor....'hopper zero turn.....boatz and the motors....trucks

When vehicles are new just about any brand polish or wax works. pretty good.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
DARN...

I get tired just reading the stuff all of you " OLD COOTS " are doing ! If you ever get caught up, stop by Eastern PA and you can do my RV.. At 57, I'm learning to try to make jobs easier... not harder :B

Easier...me too, got lots of things to take care of!

Careful what you say, one of those good ol boys may show up, take a week or more to wax your FW, while eating all your food, drinking all your beer!! A pro detailer, only $200 or so would be cheaper!:B

Jerry

I have things to do also, don't want to spend a week waxing a fifth wheel, as said rather be fishing, but got to get that trailer finished .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
DARN...

I get tired just reading the stuff all of you " OLD COOTS " are doing ! If you ever get caught up, stop by Eastern PA and you can do my RV.. At 57, I'm learning to try to make jobs easier... not harder :B

Sort of the point being made ,but I think its a badge of courage to wax a fifth wheel it seems . :B

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
ford truck guy wrote:
DARN...

Easier...me too, got lots of things to take care of!

Careful what you say, one of those good ol boys may show up, take a week or more to wax your FW, while eating all your food, drinking all your beer!! A pro detailer, only $200 or so would be cheaper!:B

Jerry

DARN...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well I am old fashion, hand polished and waxed our 32’ 5er, took about a week to get it all done. Turtle wax polish and Meguairs cleaner wax. Wax on wax off, strong arms.

Veebyes wrote:
Everyone wants easy. Years of saltwater kept boats & now RV have taught me that easy & durable should not be used in the same sentence.

Lots of products remove grime & light chalking to produce a wonderful satisfying shine. Many of them are combination cleaner waxes. Typically they look good for a month or so & then the sun gets to the surface again & it needs redoing.

For durability you can't beat a product that is formulated to be a one purpose durable protectant. This is not easy. It is a three step process of wash, cleaner wax to get stains & chalking off, then protectant wax/sealer for a long lasting shine.

My preference is to do this process once a year except for the front cap, which takes a beating from acidic bugs hitting it at highway speeds. It gets a twice a year treatment.

I am in agreement with you, just passed 70 and my body still works well, and keeping it working helps. I also like the results water still beads like the day I waxed it.
You don’t stay young sitting on your butt.

As said I am 73 , in the process of modifying an ATV trailer ,stripped the paint, cut the sides down to make the trailer a bit narrower ,welded it back together. Removed the axle to rebuild ,took the deck off to replace with a new one . I am far from sitting on my butt.

My body works very well, I think some older guys here have mistaken the fact that some chose what is worth spending hours on ,and what is not. Nothing to do with laziness or inability , just the fact I see a shiny truck sitting in the garage , and the same with the fifth wheel sitting beside the house , as I walk by to work on my ATV trailer with a grinder in hand, instead of a buffer 🙂

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
I am in agreement with you, just passed 70 and my body still works well, and keeping it working helps. I also like the results water still beads like the day I waxed it.
You don’t stay young sitting on your butt.

Glad to hear you youngsters are keeping at it. I turned 88 in October and still try to take care of my 14 year old HitchHiker II. I have used the three stage kit from Meguiars. I focus on the front cap as the cost/benefit in terms of my energy compared with the results is far greater there.

Mequiars

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Wash Wax All used here also.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF