cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long do you drive/tow in a day?

akcorr
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering how long you all drive in a day? My wife and I leaning towards a hard fast rule of 8 hours a day at the most.
62 REPLIES 62

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
I tell people I take after my maternal grandfather. He was a bus driver and when he went on vacation it was to see his son in L.A. In the 50's grandpa would drive his 49 Studebaker from Kalamazoo Mi. to L.A. on old Rt. 66 in 3 days. Grandma always complained that he never stopped just drove. LOL Grandpa was not a slow Sunday kind of driver

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
hornet28 wrote:
IMHO a lot depends on the vehicles comfort and capability, the drivers experience/confidence. Is the drive a white knuckle thing or a relaxed and enjoyable drive. A very capable vehicle vs a underpowered over loaded vehicle is night and day difference for pleasurable travel. Longest single day travel pulling about 750 mi longest no pulling just over 1200 and 19 hrs. That 1200 mi run I was 65 and traveling alone. I'm now 77

Bingo, best answer yet. Some people think 100mi round trip is a long drive and aren't comfortable or experienced with makin time down the road. Some prefer to not drive very far each day, for whatever reasons and some have the experience and are as comfortable behind the wheel as their living room recliner and enjoy driving. And some chunk out big miles out of necessity.
Someone else's experience or capability or setup really has no bearing on another's decision in the matter and is "like usual" not worth the overly matter of fact opinions of others.
To those who have to poll the internet to decide how far to drive, unless you're settling a bet, lol, my suggestion is go be your own person and decide for yourself.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Timmo! wrote:

If someone makes a claim, then is unable to support it with facts or examples, then I say that person is "all hat, no cowboy".

In this instance Grit made several claims in other threads, and is unable to provide facts or examples in his support. So, when Grit was unable to back up his words with facts, and follows me to other threads (including this one) and makes a direct attack. I say we have a troll among us.

Since the other threads are dead now, I'll simply repeat (and you have a googler if you want to fact check me, but you didn't for whatever reason, I'll not speculate).
No attack, you provided one specific example where a very limited availability of tires in one size, compared to a lighter duty tire made sense for you and put it out there as the best solution for trailers tires, in general.
I simply stated that it was "horrible advice", which you summarily took great offense to and then refuse to acknowledge all the conditions or different rim sizes that there are ST tires that have considerably more rated capacity than any available vehicle tire.
I can't help if you were offended by being incorrect (although I did acknowledge that your 1 personal example was legitimate and worked well for you). I can't help if you refuse to look up a ST tire application that is comparable to your particular situation with 2800lbs rated capacity. And I certainly can't stop you from name calling and acting like an adolescent about it.
Cheers man! Hope you're more pleasant in real life than you are behind the keyboard.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO a lot depends on the vehicles comfort and capability, the drivers experience/confidence. Is the drive a white knuckle thing or a relaxed and enjoyable drive. A very capable vehicle vs a underpowered over loaded vehicle is night and day difference for pleasurable travel. Longest single day travel pulling about 750 mi longest no pulling just over 1200 and 19 hrs. That 1200 mi run I was 65 and traveling alone. I'm now 77

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
akcorr wrote:
Just wondering how long you all drive in a day? My wife and I leaning towards a hard fast rule of 8 hours a day at the most.

akcorr Welcome to the forum!

I'm 58, 20 years ago 8+ hrs and 400 miles was very doable. Now I try to keep my mileage at 200 to 300 miles or about 6hrs travels as I tire more easily

You will find traffic getting out and getting back to New England sometimes difficult and time consuming. One unexpected accident or construction/road repair can translate to many hrs of gridlock. Over the years I have come to find leaving weekends or after morning rush hour works the best but... traffic will still be heavy just relatively less.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Most I've towed is 714 miles from New Orleans to Louisville. We had planned two shorter days but just decided to do it in one and have a extra day to relax before a dog show we were attending.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
ksbowman wrote:
When we go on long trips like Florida I try to do 10 hour days. Usually that is 2 ten hour days and then the last is about 7-8 hours. I have done a marathon of 16 1/2 hours once but, swear that won't happen again.

Hahaha. I hear ya! I made a 13 hour drive from Orlando to Baton Rouge when I was 19 years old. I slept for 13 hours when I got there. Learned that nasty lesson early! A 67 VW micro bus is reallllyy slow!
I wanted to get home BAD!!! Lol

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Timmo! wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Timmo! wrote:

Amen! It seems that some people are just plain ornery and snap at nice folks, just like a junkyard dog.

Pot meet kettle.

Troll alert!

Lol, is a junkyard dog, and a Gt dg, one and the same?

Yup, pot calling the kettle black! :C

A "troll" is not always a bad person, but just stirs the pot!

Jerry

Jerry, let me help you---it has nothing about being good or bad. It is all about being a fool that likes to attack others--for their pure amusement. It is about someone that makes false claims so they can find support to their faulty narrative...then, accuse others of doing exactly what they just did.

Definition of troll:

A person who intentionally antagonizes others online by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, or offensive comments or other disruptive content.

If someone makes a claim, then is unable to support it with facts or examples, then I say that person is "all hat, no cowboy".

In this instance Grit made several claims in other threads, and is unable to provide facts or examples in his support. So, when Grit was unable to back up his words with facts, and follows me to other threads (including this one) and makes a direct attack. I say we have a troll among us.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Timmo! wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Timmo! wrote:

Amen! It seems that some people are just plain ornery and snap at nice folks, just like a junkyard dog.

Pot meet kettle.

Troll alert!

Lol, is a junkyard dog, and a Gt dg, one and the same?

Yup, pot calling the kettle black! :C

A "troll" is not always a bad person, but just stirs the pot!

Jerry

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Timmo! wrote:

Pot meet kettle.

Troll alert!
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ronharmless wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
...Well I have made the argument for decades as a adult I should be able to decide for myself when I was tired...
Well The OP and the rest of the people on this post also have the ability to decide for themselves when they are tired and how many drivers they have - regardless of your diatribe karen

I don't think I have told anybody how many hours they should drive. I have told what the legal limits are for a pro. And I freely admit that when I was young I often ran way beyond the legal limits. (and a couple of times the last year I worked I would stretch the daily limit) But a few times running close to the daily limit a few days in a row, I would find myself making quick lane changes, or even sliding trailer tires. When this happened, total up the hours. Add in the day log book says no work, but really spent the day on a dozer, and wow, I'm over on hours. Happened often enough that I know that it is much safer for me to spend a extra day traveling.
But then again, I have put down enough millions of miles without killing anybody I don't want to start now

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
...Well I have made the argument for decades as a adult I should be able to decide for myself when I was tired...
Well The OP and the rest of the people on this post also have the ability to decide for themselves when they are tired and how many drivers they have - regardless of your diatribe karen

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Timmo! wrote:

Pot meet kettle.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
It is whatever you can do. Different each day.
Biggie is I like to be in the bed by 11pm. Otherwise if you stay up too late driving then that ruins the next day, u either dont get enough sleep or you sleep late so lose any time gains you made driving late.
However, with cities and traffic you might need to keep driving to get past a city so you drive through at night rather than at rush hour the next morning. Timing can be a big factor depending where you are. Dallas/Ft Worth is one I like to get thru at night, and the NE esp NY city is great to pass thru at 2 or 3 am.
My record is 20 hours.
12-14 hrs is common when I'm going across.
6am to 11pm is my range, and I like to take a 30 min siesta in the middle of the day.
Drive, and when you feel sleepy that is your cue to stop. Driving sleepy is like being drunk. Not worth it.
For me the hours of when I normally go to bed is when I get sleepy, before or after that I am fine. I dont try to drug myself up to stay awake, I just go all natural and let my body dictate rather than caffiene late at night...