Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How long do you drive/tow in a day?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

300 miles/6 hours
If a long distance, we’ll break it up and stay a couple nights in various places along the way.
Last Thanksgiving, we spent a week going to Marathon Key and 9 days coming back.
We do not travel on interstates.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always wonder about what I read on threads like this; Somebody drives a desk every day, then starts vacation thinks it's safe to drive 600+ miles
A professional starts getting ready to go. 14 hours later, he's done. It is against the law for him to drive. And out of that 14, only 11 can be driving.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If touring typically no more than 2 or 3 hours a day. If dead heading (rare) maybe 8 or 9 hours max.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did four 500 mile days going Tucson to Tampa.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Driving more than 4 hrs. per day will create a medical condition called "TB or Tired Butt". I also stop every 1-2 hrs. to get out and stretch and loosening up my body.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

akcorr wrote:

Just wondering how long you all drive in a day? My wife and I leaning towards a hard fast rule of 8 hours a day at the most.

Working......weekends/vacation
OR
Retired
?????????????????????????

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I always wonder about what I read on threads like this; Somebody drives a desk every day, then starts vacation thinks it's safe to drive 600+ miles
A professional starts getting ready to go. 14 hours later, he's done. It is against the law for him to drive. And out of that 14, only 11 can be driving.

LOL, so in your opinion, people who aren’t career truck drivers are unqualified to drive long distances in a day?
That’s funny!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

the e-man

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our answer is - well, it depends.

Not retired and still work. We have two drivers that trade off in shifts. We keep it to 60mph.

For a weekend stay like a state park, we try to stick to a range of under 150 miles and usually find someplace about 100 miles away.

For a destination-type trip of over a week, we go a bit farther. We can go up to 500 miles in a day. For example, to get to Fort Wilderness is 800 miles and we break that into two days.

If our destination is farther, we would try to build a stop along the way. On our trip to Acadia, which is 1,000 miles for us, we added 2-3 day stops along the way in each direction to break up the long driving days a bit.

2018 Grand Design Transcend 28MKS
2010 Ram 2500
Travel Trail Sail - Info on Travel Planning, RV Camping, Outdoor Living

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we lived in the southern part of that "void" just south of Oregon and north of Mexico, our goto camping spots were always the dog friendly Eastern Sierras--about 350 mile trip from door to campsite.

To avoid the 405 parking lot during rush hour, we would leave around 4ish in the morning...which means everything is packed and ready to roll the day before.

We have fur-kids, so we stop a couple of times for pee/poo breaks. Usually around noon we are in Lone Pine gassing up (nice to have 35.7 gallon gas tank) and filling the TT water tank.

Now that we moved to Oregon, where campgrounds are everywhere--an hour's drive we can be at the coast walking dogs on the beach, or camping in the mountains along the edge of a lake/river.

5-6 hours with breaks is what my butt can handle.

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

When we lived in the southern part of that "void" just south of Oregon and north of Mexico, our goto camping spots were always the dog friendly Eastern Sierras--about 350 mile trip from door to campsite.

To avoid the 405 parking lot during rush hour, we would leave around 4ish in the morning...which means everything is packed and ready to roll the day before.

We have fur-kids, so we stop a couple of times for pee/poo breaks. Usually around noon we are in Lone Pine gassing up (nice to have 35.7 gallon gas tank) and filling the TT water tank.

Now that we moved to Oregon, where campgrounds are everywhere--an hour's drive we can be at the coast walking dogs on the beach, or camping in the mountains along the edge of a lake/river.

5-6 hours with breaks is what my butt can handle.

Thats the way it is camping in BC. If you travel for two hours you passed 4 pretty nice spots. If we are touring it takes us 3 weeks to travel 1200 kilometers. Big loop.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.