Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How long do you drive/tow in a day?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

You know Scooby I don't give a rats a$$ what a "professional" driver does. I know how many miles I have driven, how many accidents I have had, how many tickets I have had, and how many times I have ducked the professionals in my life....I think I am good to go.

Well I have made the argument for decades as a adult I should be able to decide for myself when I was tired. The OP posted what I took to be a question what is a reasonable distance/time to travel in a day. Some who seam to have grown up in Lake Woebegon, where all the children are above average, are advocating times and distances that are likely unsafe. Most times they will get away with it. And if they don't it will be because somebody else did something stupid, it can't be my fault. But I am sure that the dad that works all day Friday, loads wife and kids to drive for hours will have less of a chance of missing the other guy. It is not always a fall asleep. Maybe your tired eyes take a little too long checking the right mirror, don't notice the kid on the left texting.
I don't think we should be forced to follow log regulations, but it sure don't hurt to know what the people that studied it have determined what the limits are.

Last Oct we took about a 3500 mile trip. Never drove more than 300 in a day. Drive a day, camp and cook for a day, sightsee a day, then travel again
As to "I have to drive woofty hours to get to vacation". More than once, when somebody is asked about their first trip to say NYC, they talk about the art galleries, museums and theaters. You ask them to compare to the art galleries, museums and theaters in home town, O, we never go to those. RVers are no different.

* This post was edited 03/07/21 07:03pm by JRscooby *

justinhscott

Cape Cod

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a 976 mile day a few weeks ago. A couple hours too much but I work full time in the cold north and wanted badly to be in Florida. Typically our FL runs involve at least one 15-16 hour day each way.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I always wonder about what I read on threads like this; Somebody drives a desk every day, then starts vacation thinks it's safe to drive 600+ miles
A professional starts getting ready to go. 14 hours later, he's done. It is against the law for him to drive. And out of that 14, only 11 can be driving.

well, DW can also drive and does share driving time if needed.

That said, 600 miles towing is longer than we have ever done. But we quite often do a 800 mile trip in one day, sharing driving. But that trip non towing is not as tiring as a 400 mile towing trip.

I understand the safety rules that professionals live by do not apply to RVers. But if a pro is in the truck, will take over the driving she must swear that she spent 10 hours in the sleeper while you are driving.

between us, whomever is not driving is sleeping in the passenger seat...... But I'm sure that isn't good enough for you, But we'd get carsick sleeping in the trailer (besides being illegal)

If either of us feels the least bit tired, we pull over for a while.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

I can see from the reply’s that many here won’t have a problem adapting to RVing with an EV 1/2 ton towing a suitable trailer. Many seem laid back with their travels. And those only travelling a few hundred kilometers a day wouldn’t even have to stop to charge. Very occasionally we dead head 500 or 600 kilometers or maybe a little more. But most of the time we are just touring and enjoying the various parks and attractions. We would love to take a month and take the ocean side route from Vancouver to San Diego again. Maybe in a couple or three years.

250-300mile range in a very aerodynamically slippery small car vs a brick is going to cap the range at around 100miles or less.

Scale that up to a truck where it might have a 200kwh battery bank to get 100 mile range towing and it starts becoming a problem. With a small trailer on a 30amp site, you might have 1-2kw available for charging...that's 100-200hr to charge at the campground. Even if you talk your way into an 18ft trailer in a 50amp site and pull 9kw, it's still 22hr, so back to back driving days become problematic. You could go into a fast charge station but most aren't set up to accommodate trailers.

EV-RVs are still a long way off.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

Why not keep it civil?....

Amen! It seems that some people are just plain ornery and snap at nice folks, just like a junkyard dog.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I can see from the reply’s that many here won’t have a problem adapting to RVing with an EV 1/2 ton towing a suitable trailer. Many seem laid back with their travels. And those only travelling a few hundred kilometers a day wouldn’t even have to stop to charge. Very occasionally we dead head 500 or 600 kilometers or maybe a little more. But most of the time we are just touring and enjoying the various parks and attractions. We would love to take a month and take the ocean side route from Vancouver to San Diego again. Maybe in a couple or three years.

250-300mile range in a very aerodynamically slippery small car vs a brick is going to cap the range at around 100miles or less.

Scale that up to a truck where it might have a 200kwh battery bank to get 100 mile range towing and it starts becoming a problem. With a small trailer on a 30amp site, you might have 1-2kw available for charging...that's 100-200hr to charge at the campground. Even if you talk your way into an 18ft trailer in a 50amp site and pull 9kw, it's still 22hr, so back to back driving days become problematic. You could go into a fast charge station but most aren't set up to accommodate trailers.

EV-RVs are still a long way off.

Hard to say. My guess is a cybertruck will have around 350 to 400 kilometres of towing range pulling a 24 trailer. For those like us and obviously many others that tour camp that would be fine. We rarely just stay one night at a camp ground. So charging at a camp ground would work. And we are noticing more of both DC fast chargers and Tesla Superchargers with one or two stalls set up for trailer towing. It’ll work fine for us. Wife has a cybertruck on order. Have to wait and see if we get it. We are pretty far down the list. Probably a few years before they get to us. [emoticon]. It’s all good.

People are already RV’ing with EV’s so it’s not a long ways off. It’s here. There are a couple model ‘X s pulling rear drops in our area. I’ve talked to one of them. They toured Vancouver island last summer for 5 weeks. They had no issues. Once the Cybertruck is out it will have a larger impact.

Cheers.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are not retired, both kids are still home (19 & 17). When we towed our HTT, we usually maxed out at about 400 miles a day. We did have one trip where we needed to get home and did 600 miles one day. When we had the motorhome, there were several times we would travel about 800 miles a day. One time, driving 900 miles.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it all depends where I am heading. if I am just driving to the lake back home to go camping then I'll do a 10 hour day, I have done up to 15, but thats way to long. If I am on a long trip with multiple days of driving to get there then I shoot for about 8 to 10 hours the first day and about 6 hours of driving the following days. that varries a bit depending on where I am stopping but I generaly keep it to 6 hours or less on the following days.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we go on long trips like Florida I try to do 10 hour days. Usually that is 2 ten hour days and then the last is about 7-8 hours. I have done a marathon of 16 1/2 hours once but, swear that won't happen again.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is whatever you can do. Different each day.
Biggie is I like to be in the bed by 11pm. Otherwise if you stay up too late driving then that ruins the next day, u either dont get enough sleep or you sleep late so lose any time gains you made driving late.
However, with cities and traffic you might need to keep driving to get past a city so you drive through at night rather than at rush hour the next morning. Timing can be a big factor depending where you are. Dallas/Ft Worth is one I like to get thru at night, and the NE esp NY city is great to pass thru at 2 or 3 am.
My record is 20 hours.
12-14 hrs is common when I'm going across.
6am to 11pm is my range, and I like to take a 30 min siesta in the middle of the day.
Drive, and when you feel sleepy that is your cue to stop. Driving sleepy is like being drunk. Not worth it.
For me the hours of when I normally go to bed is when I get sleepy, before or after that I am fine. I dont try to drug myself up to stay awake, I just go all natural and let my body dictate rather than caffiene late at night...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How long do you drive/tow in a day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.