Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Violent Windstorm, no roof
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Violent Windstorm, no roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/21 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well after a violent windstorm with gusts in the 70 to 80 mph range, most of the fiberglass roof of our rig sailed away. Estimate is 13K for a new fiberglass roof. Called Progressive and they made me jump through some hoops while knowing from our first call they would deny our claim. I can see their point of view, beside the loss of $13,000. What I can't abide is them knowing before the adjuster came out that they would deny the claim because my rig is too old and had deteriorated. Cancelling and going back to ACSC.

New roof going on is a rubber and has a twelve year product guarantee and three year workmanship. Coast RV in Agoura is doing the conversion for $7500 including all new fitting on the roof except the skylight which is just a few months old.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Progressive does not make profit when they pay claims.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read your policy and make them adhere to the terms. In FLorida the office of insurance regulation will assist consumers in dealing with insurance carriers..... check your state and see if there is an agency that will assist.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Case in point of why you don’t carry full coverage on a 19 year old rig.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering your roof will often see 70-80mph apparent winds cruising down the freeway (60mph into a 10-20mph headwind)...I can tell there's probably a 95% chance of an underlying maintenance issue which wouldn't normally be covered.

Of course, they have to make you jump thru the hoops because if they just admit up front that there's no chance you will get paid before the adjuster takes a look, you could use that against them as evidence they are trying to get out of a legitimate claim. The legal system and people suing force them to take this type of approach.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

joelc

Cedar Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is why I dropped Progressive. They are not really that progressive.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years we have read many tales of woe with Progressive and some others.
Call your State Insurance Commissioner. a
Any Insurance policy read the thing especially the fine print on what I not covered.19years old is nothing if properly cared for.
I don't recall reading one where it said once your unit is over 15 years old or 19 years old we will still collect the premiums but you won't have coverage!!
The Insurance Commissioner will let them know you collected the premiums, the policy was active, pay up.
if they can establish the value of the rig is less than $13,000.00 they may total it or try to.
Different states have somewhat different insurance laws on some items but you paid your money,with expectation of being covered.

* This post was edited 03/07/21 09:44am by down home *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

Well after a violent windstorm with gusts in the 70 to 80 mph range, most of the fiberglass roof of our rig sailed away. Estimate is 13K for a new fiberglass roof. Called Progressive and they made me jump through some hoops while knowing from our first call they would deny our claim. I can see their point of view, beside the loss of $13,000. What I can't abide is them knowing before the adjuster came out that they would deny the claim because my rig is too old and had deteriorated. Cancelling and going back to ACSC.

New roof going on is a rubber and has a twelve year product guarantee and three year workmanship. Coast RV in Agoura is doing the conversion for $7500 including all new fitting on the roof except the skylight which is just a few months old.

Given you actually agree with their denying the claim it appears, maybe summarize the terms of your policy and condition of RV so that others may understand why or what to look for.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Considering your roof will often see 70-80mph apparent winds cruising down the freeway (60mph into a 10-20mph headwind)...I can tell there's probably a 95% chance of an underlying maintenance issue which wouldn't normally be covered.

Of course, they have to make you jump thru the hoops because if they just admit up front that there's no chance you will get paid before the adjuster takes a look, you could use that against them as evidence they are trying to get out of a legitimate claim. The legal system and people suing force them to take this type of approach.
I agree. Something else was going on with that roof.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Progressive has always paid in my case. But insurance companies fear the state insurance commissioner

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Violent Windstorm, no roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.