Superbumper
34 REPLIES 34

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:
warrenjo46 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
It would be nice if they would extend the regs to all the tuner pickup diesels out there. Stinky beasts. And loud. Ugh.

My thoughts exactly. If your vehicle has emission controls legal at the time of manufacture it should pass. If not you should be required to repair.

Should do roadside checks If wear or use is causing the issue, you have a limited time to use it and get it repaired. But if the test determines it has been modified, driver leaves in cuffs. Family is sent walking. Vehicle leaves as load. It is sold at auction to somebody that can repair.

Sounds about right.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
warrenjo46 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
It would be nice if they would extend the regs to all the tuner pickup diesels out there. Stinky beasts. And loud. Ugh.

My thoughts exactly. If your vehicle has emission controls legal at the time of manufacture it should pass. If not you should be required to repair.

Should do roadside checks If wear or use is causing the issue, you have a limited time to use it and get it repaired. But if the test determines it has been modified, driver leaves in cuffs. Family is sent walking. Vehicle leaves as load. It is sold at auction to somebody that can repair.

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not a lawyer, but I know many states do restrict what vehicles from out of state, commercial or not, do in their state.
Some states let you tow a boat behind your 5th wheel RV. Some even allow boat behind a pull behind. Other states, you got to make 2 trips.
Courts have declared state laws that regulate trucks are not the same as regulating commerce.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Matt_Colie wrote:
Vahalla360,

You have obviously not watched as California has ignored numerous federal statures over the recent years. This is standard practice there and they work it up to the constitutional level.

Matt

It's different from the CARB rules of the past. Those are sketchy but apply to vehicles sold in California, so they mostly skirt the interstate rules.

The impact in the rest of the country is at least theoretically, not directly attributable to California. Some other states have simply adopted CARB rules and with a high enough percentage of vehicles sold, many requirements simply get adopted by manufacturers as standard...but it's not a hard mandate from California limiting interstate commerce.

Again, this is all sketchy but it at least has a veneer of not directly impacting interstate commerce.

This rule is different as it would apply directly to interstate commerce including vehicle, not sold, registered or driven by Californians... if they include the out of state vehicle testing.

PS: Federal control of interstate commerce isn't limited to commercial trucks. Pretty much any travel across the state line is interstate commerce.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bruce_Brown
So what would they do with ours? Its an '08 MH with a '06 spec pre-emmission engine in it. No DEF, no DPF, heck we can even burn high sulphur diesel.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
jorbill2or wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
They would have to build and staff dozens of entry stations, how many roads cross the Cali border. I was watch one video earlier where the guy making it crossed the CA-NV border at Rhyolite.

And worst case even if your RV is in perfect condition they may hold you up for hours at the inspection station and charge you big bucks for the inspection. Have to pay all those Cali state salaries to man those stations. And this in the state where lifeguards can make $200K a year.

They already have port of entry stations on every road into calif ! There is a agricultural station stop already thatโ€™s staffed

Well the video showed the actual crossing, the fellow doing it got out (Hwy 190) and walked a couple of hundred feet across the boundary line and there wasn't a building in sight. I count 10 border crossings between Lake Havasu and the north end of DVNP. And I doubt that most of them have ag stations.

And there are maybe 15 more further north.

If they actually carry this out I suspect they will used the tried and true sticker system, like they use on tags. That way the cops can identify people without a current inspection sticker and not stop every RV on the road.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Cali is going to start testing Class A's over 14K in 2024 visitors included:
RVTravel Mag

Good to see. Clean air is nice to breath.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
They would have to build and staff dozens of entry stations, how many roads cross the Cali border. I was watch one video earlier where the guy making it crossed the CA-NV border at Rhyolite.

And worst case even if your RV is in perfect condition they may hold you up for hours at the inspection station and charge you big bucks for the inspection. Have to pay all those Cali state salaries to man those stations. And this in the state where lifeguards can make $200K a year.

They already have port of entry stations on every road into calif ! There is a agricultural station stop already thatโ€™s staffed
Bill

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
One thing you have to keep in mind, CARB has to keep coming up with these things to keep it viable and their jobs.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
rk911 wrote:
time2roll wrote:
A good running RV will pass without issue.

very true and we all have a vested interest in making sure our vehicles are in top running condition. but that's really not the point, is it? if every state started throwing up these sorts of "rules" interstate commerce would grind to a halt. what's next...no gas/diesel powered vehicles allowed? what's your business in our state? and in our increasingly partisan world it's not a stretch to imagine...papers...papers, please.

we have no desire to go to CA for anything but as I wrote we have to. my BIL passed last week and we're his only immediate family. so we'll be going to clean out and put his condo up for sale and to close out his other affairs. but we want to get in, get it done and scram. CA in it's present condition has nothing to offer us.
Speculation probably has all this way blown out of proportion.

maybe but i wouldn't put anything past a politician and especially a california politician (illinois, too).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
There is no inspection station near Rhyolite.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper