cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jack Lube

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
What do you folks use to lubricate your jacks? We've had the MH almost 3 years, and this is the one area I have not delved into yet, but need to. My jacks are hydraulic PowerGear.

Al
11 REPLIES 11

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember the year but at a Rally in Shreiveport, The wind was continual. the tops of buildings you could see dust covering glass tops and then the wind would sweep it away. Very very Fine dust. Coach rocked considerably.
When we got ready to leave the awnings and room slide outs and the jack rebelled and it took forever for the jacks to come up grumbling and shrieking all the way.Couldn't see the dust but it was there. Noway for me to get under the coach spray down the rams with siiicone. When we got back to where we stored it. They cleaned it all up and told me about the fittings.I had them greased too.
maybe should have but they were there for the purpose I reasoned.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
So, went under each corner, and NO Zerk fittings.

Al

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! I'll have the MH here next weekend to begin the spring wax job, so in addition to changing the oil and filter in the genny I'll look at the jacks. It's a 2006 National SeaBreeze, so based on Dougs comment I probably have the Zerk fittings.

Al

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Depending on the year model for your Powergear Hyd jacks. OLDER at least over 20 years have NO grease Zerks at the bottom of the cylinder. Jacks newer or rebuilt with the Powergear rebuild kit will have a grease Zerk on the bottom of the cylinder just above the footpad. THIS Zerk you install standard lube grease until the cylinder seal just starts to bulge. This grease will usually fix any
slow or sticking retract problems on Powergear HYD jacks. Other than this, just keep the inner cylinder clean and shiny. Doug

Video at 1 minute 30 seconds shows the Powergear Zerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCpHnFmp0f4

Bruce_Brown
MountainAir05 wrote:
The fluid that you use for the pump. Keeps the seals lubed.

This. There is a reason nothing is listed in the manual - it's not recommended.

As noted many times before, anything you put on the rod simply attracts dirt and grime. The wiper, when in good condition, cleans that grime off when the rod retracts. Enough grime and eventually that wiper gets worn and all that junk now ends up in your hydraulic system. Nothing good happens when junk gets in your hydraulic system.

And yes, as part of my real job I deal with hydraulic cylinders and systems on a regular basis, as well as pneumatic cylinders and systems. There are cylinders in our shop every day of the week.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have used WD-40 but I prefer silicone. WD-40 is a good cleaner and protectant from moisture but it is not a very good lubricant.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our Hydraulic jacks had grease fittings but the manual said nothing of what to use in them.It said to spray and wipe down the rams while extended with silicone.
I use or rather where we stored it used about 20.00 a tube lithium grease that you can never get off your hands.I have some in the lawn equipment garage but hurt my knee and don't feel up to hobbling out there. The price doesn't matter, just get the best you can find in grease in oil and women. The last one chose me and she is still ticking just great and no oil or grease required.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I use a silicon spray.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
WD40 is the โ€œgo toโ€ product for cleaning the levelers.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fluid that you use for the pump. Keeps the seals lubed.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
WD40. I spray my Power Gear jacks about every six months.

Been doing that for 14 years with no problems.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes