Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper and tow bars

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

I am looking to tow a Jeep and would like your experience and thoughts regarding tow bars. I'm trying to decide on the best set up. It seems a tow vehicle mounted tow bar would be the most convenient for storage when the Jeep is detached but I'm not sure if it will interfere with getting in and out of the camper. The second option (and potentially cheaper) would be using a standard ball on the truck and a tow bar that connects to the Jeep. This may allow quick disconnects but I would want to remove the whole contraption before really using the Jeep. Storage of the tow bar at a campsite is something to consider.

My current camper has the door directly above the hitch (the camper does not hang over the bed. Another consideration is my next camper may be a Lance 825. That camper would extend beyond the bed and need a hitch extension but the camper door is offset to the driver's side, giving a little more room to store a truck mounted tow bar.

What have you found works best? Thank you in advance
11 REPLIES 11

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer
jsc253 wrote:
A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks! I also have the Stow-n-go steps, but unless we are going to be stationary for a while, usually take a folding step stool. How do you like the Maximus3/Falcon AT set-up?

The setup works great. We tow on a lot of BLM/USFS roads as well, and managed to bind up the bars on a tight turn and one of the Maximus-3 loops ended up bending. I used a snatch block and the winch to bend it back and towed it several thousand miles since. I'm not sure what would have gave if that wasn't the weak spot, but do wish that these were made with 3/4" plate instead. I'd still go with the same setup, if buying all over.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
A picture is worth a thousand words, thanks! I also have the Stow-n-go steps, but unless we are going to be stationary for a while, usually take a folding step stool. How do you like the Maximus3/Falcon AT set-up?

n0arp
Explorer
Explorer

Maximus-3 tow loops
Reese 48" extension
Roadmaster 4" Hi-Low bar (Jeep has a lift and 37s now)
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain w/ Roadmaster 035 ends
Roadmaster Invisibrake

All the hard components happen to be rated the same - 6,000lbs.

Deck (6' x 3') folds down with or without the Jeep attached - though we can't deploy the steps with the Jeep attached, unless the truck is turned to the left. The deck was homemade, and uses Torklift Stow-N-Go steps.

* Picture link:
https://scontent-dfw5-1.cdninstagram.com/v/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/132059540_719699315231819...
2000 Country Coach Magna 40',
4380W solar, 22.8kWh LiFePO4@48V, 450AH AGM@12V
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T, cloaked on 37x13.5s

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the responses. I'll try to answer the follow up questions. Currently, I have a Northstar TC650 truck camper and it sits about even with the rear bumper. No hitch extension needed at this point. I may switch to a Lance 825 in the future so I am trying to plan ahead. The Northstar door is centered above the hitch and the Lance is offset to the driver's side. I'm glad to hear that some have the hitch mounted tow bars and they do not interfere with accessing the camper door. Leaving it on the truck and folding it out of the way seems to be a plus. I purchased the Maximus3 tow loops for the front of the JL. Currently they sit close to level with the truck hitch. that would change with larger Jeep tires... The tow loops are compatible with various tow bars with the correct adapter. The tow loops sit just under the front bumper of the Jeep and won't affect the approach angle much. I like the looks better than having a traditional base plate. For a braking system, I was thinking of the Rvi Brake 3 system (for simplicity), but the NSA stuff looks promising too. The tow bars I was leaning toward are BlueOx and Roadmaster. For lighting, I am a little hesitant to tap into the Jeeps's wiring and may go with a separate system similar to what the tow trucks use.

Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
okan-star has a good recommendation and it's what we use. It was a pretty easy installation on our 2017 Rubicon. I continue to see rigid A frames towing some Jeeps but after seeing all the contingency brackets, clips, hooks and cables, used for the NSA products, it's the better choice.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Things to look at before you buy . How are you going to attach the tow bar to the Jeep , base plate ( might end up being a low point hang up if your wheeling ) or a bumper with tabs , or weld on tabs .
The attach point height of the Jeep and the hitch height of the truck with the camper weight on it needs to be within a few inches up or down . If not you end up with high-low adaptors pushing the Jeep back further , changing wiring lengths , causing rattles ( you can get rattle stoppers ) and ending up costing more $ .You can get adaptors for all kinds of weld on tab type mounts for different manufacturers tow bars .
Best to figure out a plan before you start
And look at the laws for braking and brake away NSA`s info

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
Have you decided on a braking system for the Jeep?
You may want to look at NSA , Its what I use with a blue ox tow bar that stays on the truck .
The NSA extends the hitch back away , makes it easier to get in the camper , I have the steps to the alternate side position .

NAS Ready Brake

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say how long is your camper.
Is it short, where you have easy access to the receiver, or are you planning to use a stinger?
No matter what set, get telescopic tow bars. They make not only storage much easier, but hooking up toad becomes a pleasure.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine flips up vertically right behind the door, then folds left or right. It does not interfere with the door or entry when folded to the left.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't see how door location matters in the storage of the tow bar. Doesn't it fold up horizontally, parallel to the bumper?

It does not seem that something that folds horizontally would be particularly difficult to work around. In fact it may be a total non-issue.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://weretherussos.com/readybrute-elite-tow-bar-review/

We use the Ready Brute Tow Bar to tow our JK. I'm very happy with it.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos