cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Magnetek converter

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
My converter is 16 years old, it has 2, 30 amp fuses for 12 volt operation. If you only have 1, 30 amp fuse rather than 2 what is the result?
This occured and was this way for a week. Went out to open the slide and it opened fine- operates off the 12 volt system. As we turned lights on, what would be 12 volt, they became dimmer. After setting overnight the battery would build some power but diminish quickly. Battery showed 10.9 volts. All 120 volt items work well.
Volt meter on 2 large wires in front of converter showed 9.9.
Is battery bad and converter?
14 REPLIES 14

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
13.75 is a bit high to float a battery in the TX heat. 13.75 is slow charging if you are trying to minimize generator run time.
Depending on use, a multistage converter will give better service.

Glad to hear the issues have been sorted out.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
A little follow up, replaced both 30 amp fuses as they were bad. Replaced battery it had a dead cell. Converter / Battery was maintaining 13.75.....thanks for the advice guys.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weldon wrote:
Someone tell me again how to check the converter to see if it is working. My old battery did have a dead cell. Thanks
The 7300 should hold voltage about 13.6 without a battery or with a good functioning battery.
Turn on all the lights and the furnace and should still hold close to 13.6 volts.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Weldon wrote:
Someone tell me again how to check the converter to see if it is working. My old battery did have a dead cell. Thanks

Turn off the converter. Turn on an incandescent light. Observe the color and intensity. Turn on the converter. If the light gets brighter the converter is producing 12 volt power.

A better way is:

1. turn off converter.
2. measure voltage at the battery bank
3. turn on converter
4. measure voltage at the battery bank.

If the voltage went up, all is well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 6300s did not have RP fuses, the 7300s(and 7100s) had theirs in the DC fuse panel. Deck mount 7400 on the unit.

From that in the OP, he did not have the 6300.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do not know the 7300 series
On most coverters MOREW than30amps (that's a 45) the two 30 amp fuses are in parallel so if one blows so does the other.. over 60 amps they add a 3rd fuse also in parallel. and again if one blows. so do the other two.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13, I am going to start with a charged or new battery.

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
waWA8yxm
It is in 7300 series, # 7345 I think.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dang.. Do not know what model Magnatek you have but recommwend upgradeing

The rest of this is specific to the 6330 but may cover other models.

The 6330 is not like modern converters it is a converter that outputs raw unfiltered rectifiesd A/C regulated by a ferroresonate transformer.. NOT GOOD AT ALL, and a small low current charger thats also poorly regulated A relay bridges the two if no shore power. Kind of like this

Battery---30 amp---T1---Relay---T2--30 amp--branch circuits.

T-1 is the charger and a couple of branch circuits (IE: Radio) that truly need clean DC.. T2 is the converter

so to run on batteries you need BOTH fuses. but one and I do not know wich will do on shore power.

IF one is blown. the other likely is as well but check it. replace BOTH with power off (Battery disconnected shore unpluged) or better yet upgrade the electroincs with either a progressive 4600 or 9200 (46 for "Converter is part of fuse panel) 9200 if it's a stand alone.. Your batteries will thank you.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'd replace it with a boondocker, Iota, or Progressive Dynamics model.

http://bestconverter.com/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Having dissected too many converters, I believe I can safely say failed capacitors are a prime reason for malfunction when they get gray hair. Then after replacing the obvious failed cap, testing of the remainder reveals none that survive a test. And unless someone has special buying power replacing the weak capacitors would bring a price tag shock. The clincher to me is the possibility of failure in the control circuit. Some manufacturers buff off component ID numbers. Integrated circuits become obsolete and have no known replacements. I do not remember seeing a detailed explanation in the forum why repairs are obsolete so I thought I'd add my one cent's worth ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would assume both are shot. Need to separate and test each separately. If you have a portable charger you could try charging the battery and see what it does. PD4645 would replace the converter very nicely and take far better care of the new battery.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD4645V-45-Amp-Converter-Upgrade

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need both 30 amp Reverse Polarity fuses for the converter to work. You have been on battery, which has run down. It needs to be recharged ASAP.

You have the newer 7300 converter, not the old 6300 type, name changed to Parallax soon after the 7300s came out early 2000s.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.