cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving Camper on the Jacks

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've only had this camper for a year now, but whenever it's off the truck I have it sitting on planks and blocks. I only use the jacks to take it on/off the truck.

I may have to put the camper in a storage yard for 3 or 4 months while we get some stuff straightened up around the yard. Can I leave it on the jacks for that long or should I plan to bring the cement blocks and planks from home for it to sit on? With the jacks fully retracted, the bottom of the camper is about 1' off the ground.
18 REPLIES 18

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was reading through the literature of our new Host camper and they recommend that blocking be used for storage when off the truck. Bummer about the storage issue-
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know East Coast, but to find available RV storage in San Francisco area 10 years ago took 60 miles drive.
It did not get easier.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys but this has become a moot point....all the storage yards are full with a waiting list. Darn covid RV boom.....

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Lance recommends lowering the jacks but not using any other support for their campers. Their campers are designed to have the weight cradled and supported by the jacks. I did this for years and had no problems at all.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to leave the camper jacks on soil, I would fashion 4 , 2โ€™x2โ€™ x1โ€ thick square pads to place under the jack feet. I bought a 4โ€™x8โ€™ sheet of 1/2โ€ treated plywood to make the pads, many, many years ago.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
With short camper I see on the picture and empty water tank, I don't see how leaving the camper on its jack can create a problem.
My big camper start showing floor separation when I had it with lot of water in the tank, but at the time the water damage weaken the front wall.
Also if you have wood frame, check the angles between front lower wall and side overhangs.
My camper has aluminum skeleton, but all wood on that wall. When I come to repair the water damages at the bottom of the wall, I measured that overhangs sag well over an inch, due to camper sitting on its floor most of the time.
So when I was storing the camper- I used both - front floor support and jacks to keep it square. Did not worry about the rear, where I have strong aluminum bumper adding to structural integrity.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well the wrinkle is that the storage yard is 900 miles away....we are in the process of moving and want to drop the caper out there in advance of the household move. So once it's parked I won't see it for 3 months.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had a TC, but with most things I would worry about the ground under jacks more than jacks mounted to camper. Any rain is going to be funneled to the area of the jacks.
Pick TC up on jacks. Haul blocks to storage yard, Load camper.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
.... We have 6 Camcorder Olympian Stack Jacks & 3-2โ€ x 4โ€ boards that we set the camper on ; front, middle & back, while also using the jacks for support.... Inexpensive, stable, compact.....

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine stays under and RV structure which sits on 5.5โ€ of concrete for 6 months on its jacks.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless you have reason to suspect the integrity of the camper's structure it should be fine sitting on the jacks alone. It was designed to sit on its jacks when not on the truck.

Lowering it down and setting it on something doesn't hurt a thing. It's probably a good idea to lower it to reduce the effects of leverage on the legs in windy conditions.

Consider this an opportunity to build something better and handier to set the camper on, such as a set of plywood "X's' that are talked about on here frequently.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Itโ€™s no problem unless you have cause to believe one of the mounting points is weak.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just loaded my rig after 18 mo's of sitting on the jacks, it's an 06 and it's never been on anything but the jacks when off the truck.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the blocks already I'd use them.
When mine isn't on the truck its on cinder blocks.
Just less stress on the camper.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.