Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Leaving Camper on the Jacks
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Leaving Camper on the Jacks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've only had this camper for a year now, but whenever it's off the truck I have it sitting on planks and blocks. I only use the jacks to take it on/off the truck.

I may have to put the camper in a storage yard for 3 or 4 months while we get some stuff straightened up around the yard. Can I leave it on the jacks for that long or should I plan to bring the cement blocks and planks from home for it to sit on? With the jacks fully retracted, the bottom of the camper is about 1' off the ground.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess if you have them, you might as well use them. They’d also be out of your yard while you are completing your project.

My TC sits on the jacks year round unless we are using it in place for guest visits, etc.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The issue is with the camper on the truck I don't have anywhere to put 4 cement blocks and 2 planks. I suppose I could wrap them in a blanket and put them in the camper but if I didn't need them it would be just as easy to leave them home.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My new neighbor from Oregon has left his AF 990 on the factory jacks now for like six months and some heavy snow loads... Seems to be just fine, I look every day to see if it failed....lol

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Steverino54

SW Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, some things are fine until they aren't...

I left our first TC ('87 Lance 10.5' with manual jacks) on the jacks only about half-way up beside the house during that year - came out one morning after a biggee Spring wind storm to find a front corner sunk in the wet gravel and the TC leaning against the fence.

Fortunately no real damage, but after getting it back up I procured some 8x8 timbers and cross-stacked them 2' high. I'd haul the blocks in the camper and set it down for peace of mind.

2017 F550 4x4 19500# GVWR 4.88's, 84" Douglass Body w/95 gal aux water tank
2018 EC1165

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have the blocks already I'd use them.
When mine isn't on the truck its on cinder blocks.
Just less stress on the camper.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/07/21 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just loaded my rig after 18 mo's of sitting on the jacks, it's an 06 and it's never been on anything but the jacks when off the truck.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/21 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s no problem unless you have cause to believe one of the mounting points is weak.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you have reason to suspect the integrity of the camper's structure it should be fine sitting on the jacks alone. It was designed to sit on its jacks when not on the truck.

Lowering it down and setting it on something doesn't hurt a thing. It's probably a good idea to lower it to reduce the effects of leverage on the legs in windy conditions.

Consider this an opportunity to build something better and handier to set the camper on, such as a set of plywood "X's' that are talked about on here frequently.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine stays under and RV structure which sits on 5.5” of concrete for 6 months on its jacks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Leaving Camper on the Jacks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.