Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: printer on the road
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> printer on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

philh wrote:

Is there a small laser that will stand up to road travel?

I use an HP LaserJet 1102. I've had it since about 2012, maybe longer. Works flawless.

Here's the current model of HP Compact Printer: HP LaserJet Pro M15w Printer

HP M15 is a pretty small printer for sure..

[image]

However, be aware, since it is very compact, it does not have conventional paper tray with auto document feeder..

[image]

You will have to flip down the "paper tray" in the front and that becomes your paper tray.. Essentially operates like a "manual" paper feed on most printers..

[image]

[image]

If you can live with that, it seems to be a good choice!

older_fossil

USA (fulltiming)

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For RV use, we've been happy with a Canon PIXMA compact inkjet printer. We've had an IP110 for the past 5 years. Because of the small ink cartridge size, I wouldn't recommend one for heavy use, but would for occasional use. We've been amazed at how long ours sometimes sits without head clogging issues. And it is wireless, so either of our computer can print on it and very compact for storage.

Art & Barbara
2016 Tiffin AB 37AP
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Housted

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a Canon ImageCLASS LBP6030w. Very small and light weight.
We also carry an Epson PictureMate for 4x6 color prints.

Both are really small and work well.

Housted

2015 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 CTD Tow Rig Integrated ball with Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch
2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th - 4 Pt Leveling, Disk Brakes, 1050 W Solar,
300 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter
  • pic
    Too many mods to Truck and trailer to list.

• robatthelake

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a Brother MFC J435 Wifi Printer which has served us well over the past 7 or 8 Years.
    When travelling it is kept in a Rubbermaid Tote along with a supply of Paper plus extra Toner Cartridges ! Other than the plastic parts getting a bit brittle it has held together quite well.
    I am thinking of putting it into the space above the Dash where that old CR TV once was!.
    Another project !

Rob & Jean
    98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often are we talking about?

Once a month or less, put it on a usb stick and take it to office max (or similar) to print.

A lot of my clients won't touch anything paper anymore...including signed documents.

Tammy & Mike
    Ford F250 V10
    2021 Gray Wolf
    Gemini Catamaran 34'
    Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wintersun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A dye sub type will be the most reliable and no worries about clogged heads or other issues as with an inkjet printer. But the ones that can produce a 8x10 print are not compact and few are still in production.

The Brother HL-L2320D Mono laser printer sells for $140 and is 14 x 14 x 7 inches in size and would give you a normal size printer.

Or go to a quick print place like Office Depot or Kinkos or the like and bring in your file on a USB thumbdrive.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Once a month or less, put it on a usb stick and take it to office max (or similar) to print.
    Was just going to say the same. I think you'd have to do a LOT of printing to justify carrying one around.

Libraries, banks.. lots of places to get that done.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because my work is in advanced automotive
    , I'm not comfortable using printing places, unless I can directly handle it myself.

On our three month trip while working from home, I had three separate times I really could have used a printer. Also, had to print, sign, and scan some personal documents for our house closing. This was a one time event, and found another traveler that had a nice printer in their class A [emoticon]

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an OKI color laser in the home office, but I would never try to carry it on the road. It is too heavy and massively power hungry.

In the coach that was my traveling office, meeting room, electronic instrument shop, restaurant, tool crib and occasional motel for the specialized boat work the I did between consulting jobs. I have carried the same Canon multi-function. It draws 24watts and before I had the big inverter, I carried a tiny one to do this and some other odd things (like run my temperature controlled soldering iron). I never had an ink cartridge dry out before I ran it out. I carried the spares and the cord(s) inside the unit when it was stored for travel.

The Canon and HP printers cap the ink jets well enough that lack of use is just never an issue with either.

Because I was also doing development work for OEs at the time, going to an unsecured printer was never acceptable for me either.

I only used to use OE cartridges. Yes, they cost more, but they are more reliable and they are a deductible business expense.

Both the Oki and the Canon are getting a little worn at this point, but so am I and now I am retired so deductible is not so important. I may put the Canon back aboard for the year's excursion, I also may not. The Oki is now a resident on the SOHO net.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
    A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Geeze

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Working from home, 1200 miles away in a travel trailer has one issue I hadn't considered too hard...

I sometimes need to print a document. I dropped ink jet years ago, because they were always drying out. Laser/scanner at home is much too big to carry in a trailer.

Is there a small laser that will stand up to road travel?

We have a HP MFP29W laser all in one in our class C. It's is compact and doesn't take much space to store. Generic toners are available for it on E-bay or Amazon for under $10. You can see one here.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 3  
    Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> printer on the road
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.