cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toll charges

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Indian Nation toll road---what would be the charge for a travel trailer/tow vehicle from Henryetta to Hugo? I've never heard of this route before.
Thanks...
18 REPLIES 18

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Thanks---I found the site to calculate the fees. From what I've seen, this might be an alternative for travel south.
We don't have toll roads here in the frozen North Idaho area, so I'm not familiar with how they work. Our roads are "paved - unpaved."
Also, from what I've gathered, the toll roads around the U.S. don't have a real agreement for a pass that can be used freely across the states. Maybe Congress could address issues like this, but I'm sure they have more "important" things to do.
Thanks again........

You're welcome. If you hate tolls as much as I do, don't come to my home state of PA. With the fuel taxes near the top of the nation, they are proposing adding tolls on many more bridges. The whole northeast has a network of toll roads that are nothing more than added expense for everything and they wonder why business is moving south. You mention congress, yes we have interstate highways funded in large part by the federal but many of these bridges are interstates that the state wants to tax (toll).

Haha. We're from Berks County and heading to Texas next week. First stop will be Winchester, Virginia to fill up with diesel which is about 40 cents a gallon cheaper. With the Flying J card it's 8cents cheaper so that's almost 50 cents. Our state sucks with all the taxes we pay and the Pa turnpike is the most expensive toll road in the world.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:
One WARNING - toll bridges are very often not linked to other systems, and may require cash tolls. Bridges are exempt from the 2011 national law over interoperability (for which the full implementation has been pushed back again).

https://www.wired.com/story/national-tolling-system/

This 2017 article describes the need and state of toll road interoperablity. So congress did mandate the integration we want, but they didn't provide any standards, penalties or money, so the agencies are just nibbling away at the task, slowly forming larger clusters.

As of 2017 15 of the states don't have toll roads.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw mentioned 259 in eastern Ok and we travel that route from Tx to our Arkansas land. Very pretty drive thru the Ouachita's but it does have a few steep grades.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Click on this if you want to read about the corruption in the PA Turnpike system. As always, follow the money.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I feel sorry for people who live in states with numerous toll roads. Here in AZ we've voted down every attempt at a toll road. They still get built thru other means but no toll.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few toll roads in Oklahoma, and Kansas.

Much of I-35 across Kansas is a toll road. Kansas Turnpike

Much of I-44 from the Texas border to the Missouri border is a toll road. And the Indian Nation Turnpike as you mentioned. Oklahoma Toll Roads

The toll process is moving away from toll booths where you pay cash.

Automated sensors which activate direct billing if the vehicle has a toll device (We have three - NTTA Toll Tag for Texas (OK & KS), Sunpass for Florida and EZ-Tag for IL-Mass/ Maine-NC

Your account already has basic information on your vehicles and link to a payment via credit card or direct bank transaction.

When you pass through a toll booth, the system automatically charges the toll and that's it as far as you are concerned.

The other technology uses optical recognition of your license plate and a bill is sent to the address where the vehicle is registered. Most toll authorities charge a higher fee for vehicles which to not have automated sensors and accounts.

One WARNING - toll bridges are very often not linked to other systems, and may require cash tolls. Bridges are exempt from the 2011 national law over interoperability (for which the full implementation has been pushed back again).

Normal fees are 1x toll amount for a two axle vehicle, 2x for three axles, 4x for four axles - such as a truck towing a TT or a 5er, or a motorhome with a toad.

We do not use toll roads while towing, but do use them in some places where it makes sense - without the trailer.

Personally, I do not need to use toll roads except near north east Oklahoma (I-44)

In that area of the state of Oklahoma south of I-40, I use US-75/ US-69. Or if east of the Turnpike, I use US-271 or US-259 or OK-2 - all are slower than the Turnpike, but heck, I'm an old retired fart and not in a hurry.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

dedmiston
azdryheat wrote:
Snark? Definition please.
If we were sitting around a fire, I would have used a different word.

Snarky means rude, so I suppose snark means rudeness.

Dictionary definition: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/snark

I think you...may or may not have been on the giving end of snarky comments a couple of times. If ya know what I mean. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Why not use the online calculator?

Maybe he didn't know about it. Why not be a little nicer?

Because I wanted to give him the most complete and accurate information possible, using a minimum of words. By the way, I knew nothing before doing a quick 30 second search using words copied and pasted from the original post. Good Grief!

Well then, let me give you an example with even fewer words and more manners:

Here's an online calculator.

100% snark-free. It doesn't take hardly any effort at all to be polite.

Thank you for finding the link, but please keep the snark out of it.
Snark? Definition please.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
The Indian Nation toll road---what would be the charge for a travel trailer/tow vehicle from Henryetta to Hugo? I've never heard of this route before.
Thanks...

Is Hugo the final destination or you just passin thru ? Maybe some no toll roads & prettier scenery on another route.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Maybe Congress could address issues like this, but I'm sure they have more "important" things to do...

They did probably 7 years ago but no penalty for not having one pass good in all states with tolls.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

dedmiston
Lynnmor wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Why not use the online calculator?

Maybe he didn't know about it. Why not be a little nicer?

Because I wanted to give him the most complete and accurate information possible, using a minimum of words. By the way, I knew nothing before doing a quick 30 second search using words copied and pasted from the original post. Good Grief!

Well then, let me give you an example with even fewer words and more manners:

Here's an online calculator.

100% snark-free. It doesn't take hardly any effort at all to be polite.

Thank you for finding the link, but please keep the snark out of it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toll roads (and bridges) are authorized, built and run at the state level. Sometimes it's a state department that builds them, but often its a quasi-state agency or even private consortium. Construction is usually paid for with bonds, which are repaid from revenues. In theory, if not in practice, tolls on one road will free up gas tax money for use on other roads. Details can vary with state and the authorizing legislation.

Especially in the east and parts of the midwest, toll roads were built (or at least started) before the interstate system was funded. But even in wild west there were privately built toll wagon roads over some of the passes. Most newer toll roads are supposed to add capacity and speed in and around growing metro areas.

https wrote:
A short list of Idaho toll roads and ferries built by private funding includes Boise to Idaho City Toll Road 1864, Fairfield to Rocky Bar Toll Road 1864, Challis to Bonanza Toll Road 1879, Walter's Toll Ferry 1863, Salmon Falls Toll Ferry 1863 and Idaho Falls Toll Ferry 1864.

EZPass is a 19 state toll reciprocity program.

https://www.e-zpassiag.com/about-us/members

Most of my memories of tolls are from the 80s and earlier in Chicago and points east. Then we paid by tossing coins in a hopper, or cash with an in/out ticket. I haven't had need to use the automated tolls on Seattle area roads.
But for all practical purposes ferry fares are tolls.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Thanks---I found the site to calculate the fees. From what I've seen, this might be an alternative for travel south.
We don't have toll roads here in the frozen North Idaho area, so I'm not familiar with how they work. Our roads are "paved - unpaved."
Also, from what I've gathered, the toll roads around the U.S. don't have a real agreement for a pass that can be used freely across the states. Maybe Congress could address issues like this, but I'm sure they have more "important" things to do.
Thanks again........

You're welcome. If you hate tolls as much as I do, don't come to my home state of PA. With the fuel taxes near the top of the nation, they are proposing adding tolls on many more bridges. The whole northeast has a network of toll roads that are nothing more than added expense for everything and they wonder why business is moving south. You mention congress, yes we have interstate highways funded in large part by the federal but many of these bridges are interstates that the state wants to tax (toll).

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again........