Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted this in the TC forum because the truck camper can get way back in farther than the other RV's making communication with family and friends very difficult...

I have a Yagi directional antenna(Cell phone) and a Wilson 45db booster along with a long pole for the antenna..Used to work great when it was analog but now,not so much..I spend so much time out of contact with others way back in the hills, so I have been looking for an affordable alternative..

I found a satellite messaging device that was kinda inexpensive with a low cost plan and when your not using it,you can put it to sleep for $4 a month..It works everywhere and I can set it on the back of the dinette seat by the window and it gets reception..I am quite happy with it..Oh and a SOS function that brings EMS to your spot if anything happened to you or your family..

What do you use for communicating when your on the verge of cell service in your truck camper?

[email protected]

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/08/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Garmin InReach. Has worked from the wilds of Alaska, the Yukon, the back woods of Maine and everywhere in between. Subscription is cheap insurance.

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[email protected] wrote:

Garmin InReach. Has worked from the wilds of Alaska, the Yukon, the back woods of Maine and everywhere in between. Subscription is cheap insurance.

Yup, I went with the new Zoleo messenger,I like the $4 a month when I don't need it.. There was a bunch of good reviews for the inReach... It was a tossup for me but money out of the pocket for the item won our here. Lol

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I chose Garmin Inreach years ago.....with the Safety Plan. It serves as my ultimate backup plan should the "big one" hit us here on the Oregon coast. If we lose all other communications ( except ham radio ), The Inreach will always work. The cheaper plans that you can shut off might be problematic for me..... it requires communications with Inreach to turn back on...... thus I choose the plan that stays on always.....

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found occasional break from cellphones very relaxing.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally like the dedicated phone number for texting where I can text anyone and anyone that has the number can text me through the satellite..I don't understand the email nor need it..I was worried about reception but it gets reception in the house and the truck camper by a window... Best $199 I've spent in a long time..

Once I get the rest of my solar hookups from Amazon for my TC solar, I'm heading to places a cell won't work for the real test..lol

Geewizard

WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

InReach here and ever since they were introduced. I've used it in AK, MT, ID, WA, Canada, etc.

I use the Freedom Plan and shut it off when not going out in the backcountry.

Works very well.

* This post was edited 03/08/21 12:45pm by Geewizard *

2004 Outfitter Apex 8
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
2 Fullriver 100AH AGM batteries
Compressor fridge
Wave 3 Heater
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We find we don’t need cellphones to talk to each other inside the TC. [emoticon] Sometimes, I guess we make nonverbal cues though.

Seriously though, I use a Wilson portable signal amplifier at times. We’ve found that each cellphone has slightly different radios even with the same carrier. My Samsung Note 10 has better coverage with more channels than my wife’s iPhone 11 Plus. In the previoius generation, her iPhone which was a bit newer than my Note at the time, and the iPhone had better coverage. Fwiw, that matches what I’ve read in that the newer Samsungs have very good cellphone radios.

I have a whole house amplifier that I might hook up in the TC. From what I found at home, it overdrove the signal which didn’t help the coverage at home. So, we don’t use it. Keep that in mind that an amplifier might/might not help.

Just a word if you feel like mentioning it to elected representatives ... encourage more cell towers over more wired networks in rural areas. In many rural areas, it will always be cost prohibitive to run wires to every house. However, well placed towers could cover a lot almost impossible space for calls/internet. The side effect of providing interent in these rural areas via cell towers is that dead spots would disappear for calls/texting for those passing through.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

I posted this in the TC forum because the truck camper can get way back in farther than the other RV's making communication with family and friends very difficult...

Isn't that the purpose of a truck camper, to get away from family and friends [emoticon]

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

while driving? turn signals, flashing high beams and middle finger ... just like always. [emoticon]

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.