Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
NatParkJunkie

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Following to see what others say as well.
I've been planning on getting the Zoleo messenger as well when I get back on the road this summer.
This past summer I got my ham radio license to give myself another option for emergency communications. ham radio operators have repeaters set up all over the country as well that you might have a chance of hitting where cell phones don't connect. I haven't done enough testing yet myself but I've read about ham operators reaching people 50 miles away, etc, with the right terrain.
Getting your ham license takes a couple weeks of studying, and about $15 to take the test, and your license is good for 10 years.

jsc253

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As many have said, there are several options for sending and receiving messages via satellite. Most require a monthly fee and can be used in an emergency to request help. We use a similar device called a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB), it doesn't require a fee but can only be used to send a signal for help, along with your gps coordinates. For closer communication with others in our group, we use GMRS radios. With all the fancy devices, one of the best ways to help with safety is to let someone know where you will be and when you expect to be back on the grid. When we do this, I provide the emergency services contact info for where we are and a drop dead time on when they should make a call. Regarding the PLB, it gets registered and my adult daughter is one of the contacts on file. In the event of an activation, she will be contacted and will know our approximate location and what we are doing. This will help the rescue teams if needed.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We go some pretty remote places with our TC but haven't stayed many places where we couldn't get Internet with a fairly complex setup. On those rare occasions, we enjoy a brief break from connectivity and quickly move on, because we need Internet to make our living.

We carry AT&T and VZ grandfathered enterprise unlimited plans (purchased from a reseller), have a Cradlepoint dual-SIM router with Cat18 modem, Panorama Mako antenna, and a WeBoost, and tend to find Internet where most people we camp with don't.

I use an InReach Mini when running and backpacking in the backcountry.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/21 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

while driving? turn signals, flashing high beams and middle finger ... just like always. [emoticon]

And how does your wife respond to those..... LOL!!!

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Spot? No mention but look at it.It is highly recommended for climbers and hikers here in the NW on our mountains..cell is to unreliable.

lindahaynes

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

while driving? turn signals, flashing high beams and middle finger ... just like always. [emoticon]

right [emoticon]

Regards,
Linda Haynes!
Works at Kathmandu

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

The Spot? No mention but look at it.It is highly recommended for climbers and hikers here in the NW on our mountains..cell is to unreliable.

From what little i know about it, there saying the actual satellite used is really important and Spot uses Globalstar where Zoleo and Inreach use the Iridium sattelites..

Bradymydog

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used a Spot Gen 3 for 6 yrs up until last 2 years. My use was for long distance hiking (I always hike alone) and it suited me well. Send a pre-recorded message "OK" or "Send Help" or "SOS". I would used it to let my contact list know where I am and that "All is OK and having fun". Family and friends could track my progress down the trial. I never had a problem connecting although in an area with a heavy tree canopy I might have to move it to a more open area with a better view of the sky. It was very basic and it was all I or wife needed to stay in touch. Nothing beats letting some responsible person know your agenda and when to contact authorities if you missed your due date. The one caveat is it takes a functioning person to activate the SOS, if your incapacitated it is useless.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another InReach Explorer fan. We used them at work back in DeLorme(?)days. For backpacking, the best gps/text/emergency beacon for the weight. The GPS is just OK, but it is workable.

We used the same sat system from a different vendor for communication with remote gas wells. No matter how deep the "holler" you will get at least one satellite pass a day and your emergency signal will get out. Might not work in one of those narrow deep canyons out West, but a great device for solo wandering.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like I never have to go far from camp on my ATV to find a Verizon signal.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.