Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I like about the Zoleo, is it will sense if there is Wifi or cellphone coverage and use those instead of through the satellite for messages, saving on data used depending on your plan.. Supposedly the battery last for 200 hours... There one thing I wanted but none of them seem to support, is the ability to send pictures....

[image]

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/09/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info and timely thread...we had a Wilson amp and antenna in the TT that worked great at the beach, and when I installed it in 2008 I made sure it had the latest 3G tech...while 3G is better than nothing nowadays, I left that system in the camper when I sold it and am looking for newer tech for the TC.

I was planning on the WeBoost Drive Reach signal amp with external antenna to pick up a signal in fringe areas. For us it's not so much about yapping with friends and family, but more about streaming music and movies and having email access for work.

The weak link is that a signal amp must have a signal to amplify, so if there's NO signal it's a problem, but based on the Verizon coverage map I don't see us getting into that situation just yet.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most remote place I most frequently camp at is about 300' from a cell tower. I get 5 bars of 4G coverage 24 hours a day there. It's great.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Ramblin' Ralph

Central California Coast

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using a SPOT device for most of my 15 years of ramblin’. It's worked out very well, including a trip to Alaska in 2012. I just use it to tell my kids where I am, since I don't travel with an itinerary. SPOT really ticked me off, though, a few years ago when they started charging everyone the same price, which includes automatic tracking, like hikers use. I don't need it, but now I'm subsidizing the hikers. [emoticon] I think I'll look into the Zoleo, where I could create short messages on my smartphone. Also can put it on hold for the six or seven months I'm off the road. Another good find on RV.net. [emoticon]

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 715 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I use to be a ‘people person’ - that is until I started to associate with some people....[emoticon]

3 tons, in the High NV Desert

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/21 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wait for it....SpaceX has been putting hundreds of communication satellites in orbit to create a globle network that will be unobstructed. It will be a game changer in communication.

scout4trout

Cody, WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/11/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For our older age and health reasons and the fact that most of our camping is out of cell range, we have a Globalstar satellite phone - got a promotion last year (still available) - unlimited minutes (voice and text) for about $900 with a free phone.This year we got a plan for 1800 minutes that wasn't as good a deal but didn't spend a lot on eating out this year!

2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/15/21 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

Just wait for it....SpaceX has been putting hundreds of communication satellites in orbit to create a globle network that will be unobstructed. It will be a game changer in communication.

Unless your under trees, tall building or if a flock of birds fly over. [emoticon] Maybe that will resolve when they have more up, but the reviews I've seen on the Beta's that have been sent out, have had some of the above cause issue.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original Phillips Radio Company intercom system it came with from 1975 (Or at least it will once I finish the resto work on the system) [emoticon].

Much easier to talk with the passengers who are belted (Yes it has seat belts) in the back [emoticon].

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/21 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KKELLER14K wrote:

The catch 22 with it (I'm signed up for it), is its locational cell based atm. So while its very mobile hardware, it only works in the home cell your address is at, move into another part of the grid and it won't come online.

I suspect in the future, when the network is finished, that might change.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What do you guys use for communication in your truck camper?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.