cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble on the border

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have Big Bend, Texas on our list of things to see and do this year and we are wondering how safe it is with all the problems with the border crossings? Anyone have Big Bend on their list this year?
60 REPLIES 60

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
What did you guys all do for your news before 2016? If you really want to get off-topic, let's go there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Explorer II
Explorer II
ReneeG wrote:
Too many CNN watchers here.
And there's the problem. Our nation has become so polarized due to fictitious, for profit programming that we either can't or refuse to realize that reality is more complex than a 2 minute opinion segment.

What makes you think I watch CNN, or any of that other poison programming?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRscooby wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
pigfarmer wrote:
This mornings FOX 13 news said "Tens of thousands" are coming across the opened borders. They are not ALL good people looking for a better life. I'm concerned that a 40' diesel pusher could be inviting to one having motives in being driven somewhere comfortably instead of walking...

If you read biographies of the founders, Fox "news", from the beginning was more based on profit than truth.

and the relevance of that in this thread is what?
bumpy

Only to point out to the OP he is likely basing his fear on a story from a very unreliable source.

Agreed. That was even stated in a court hearing by FOX representatives. Tucker Carlson.

jdkd123
Explorer
Explorer
Can't believe some of these replies. I wouldn't touch south Texas or AZ. Human nature says that DESPERATE PEOPLE DO DESPERATE THINGS. Plain and simple.

JDKD123

2005 Coachmen CONCORD

GO

SOX!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
What do you suggest we watch?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
What does the number of border agents have to with how many cross the border? Crossings are ebb and flow. We are in a flow mode at the moment. This is no different than any time since Texas became a republic.

Most of the people crossing today want to get picked up so they can claim asylum. The last thing they want to do is commit a crime that will go against their chances of asylum. The others are trying to get to family somewhere in the US or Canada. The last thing they want to do is call attention to themselves. They will pass you by, not make eye contact, and disappear.

Drugs are smuggled via commercial trucks crossing the border. To think someone is going to pack drugs through the brush like a mule for profit is ridiculous. They do that as a ploy, a decoy if you will. Sure, some get through. But most get caught so we can say look what we did. In the meantime the real problem comes in inside 18 wheelers. While we waste our resources chasing the ignorant few through the brush, the big stash rolls right on by.

Again another opinion.

Criminal illegal aliens don't come through the designated border crossings. Illegal aliens don't come through the designated border crossings. Criminal illegal aliens are criminals and have no respect for the law and will commit crimes because that's their MO. "Some get through", hmmmmm, "some", as if it's no big deal. Most drugs come in semi's, well, then they should be easy to confiscate and no illegal drug activity will occur. That's not the case and is not as cut and dried as is stated.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Explorer II
Explorer II
What does the number of border agents have to with how many cross the border? Crossings are ebb and flow. We are in a flow mode at the moment. This is no different than any time since Texas became a republic.

Most of the people crossing today want to get picked up so they can claim asylum. The last thing they want to do is commit a crime that will go against their chances of asylum. The others are trying to get to family somewhere in the US or Canada. The last thing they want to do is call attention to themselves. They will pass you by, not make eye contact, and disappear.

Drugs are smuggled via commercial trucks crossing the border. To think someone is going to pack drugs through the brush like a mule for profit is ridiculous. They do that as a ploy, a decoy if you will. Sure, some get through. But most get caught so we can say look what we did. In the meantime the real problem comes in inside 18 wheelers. While we waste our resources chasing the ignorant few through the brush, the big stash rolls right on by.
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
ronharmless wrote:
So tell me, how many border patrol agents are there today in Texas compared to last year at this time?

I don't think DHS would release that number.

What I can tell you is that KRGV TV CH-5 in Weslaco reported on Monday that the region closest to the Gulf of Mexico is the most 'active' BP region with an increase if BP agents and increased patrols in the month of February.

During our visit to Mexico, we saw more BP agents than on trips a year ago. We've seen more patrolling BP vehicles than at any time.

The line of non-US citizens waiting to enter the US legally was about the same as in the pass. That would include the people being allowed into the US under asylum applications, or as refugee's.

The 'flood' of people crossing the border legally under that status is the only real change from a year ago being reported on the national conservative news channels.

(Note there are several ways for Mexican citizens to legally get a day pass, or an annual pass, which allows them to enter the US. Everything for a shopping trip to Walmart, to truck drivers who move so much imported from Mexico into the US. The truck drivers never go more than 5 miles into the US before their cargo is off-loaded, and then reloaded onto US registered vehicles.)
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
pigfarmer wrote:
It is NOT just Mexicans crossing the border - it is South American countries.
You should stay home and watch the carnage on FOX.
I think he should travel to Big Bend and RGV to witness the truth first hand. He's afraid of a boogie man that doesn't exist.

Viva Tequila
So tell me, how many border patrol agents are there today in Texas compared to last year at this time?

Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
pigfarmer wrote:
I think he should travel to Big Bend and RGV to witness the truth first hand. He's afraid of a boogie man that doesn't exist.

Viva Tequila
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pigfarmer wrote:

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
pigfarmer wrote:
We have Big Bend, Texas on our list of things to see and do this year and we are wondering how safe it is with all the problems with the border crossings? Anyone have Big Bend on their list this year?

Given the current immigration and political issues going on right now I personally would not risk taking my family or my RV rig to that area. Or, wait for a year to plan your trip when the govt. has a chance to decide how they are going to deal with the immigration issues.

Double ditto. When in doubt leave it out. There are plenty of other beautiful spots to visit away from the borders. We really enjoy Wyoming, the Dakotas and Montana. Theyโ€™re not as hot as Big Bend either.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were in Big Bend NP during Thanksgiving 2020, and encountered no problems whatsoever. Plan your trip and enjoy the scenery!!!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
pigfarmer wrote:
Problem being, this is now, March 2021 with the border wide open.

Border crossing in Big Bend??

Maybe a few a day fording the river from NP to Boquillas. Mostly U.S. citizens visiting the village of Boquillas.

But, as mentioned by several, if you are not comfortable, you will not enjoy your visit. Applies to everyone, everywhere.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/