cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can my carpet be dyed?

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
Our '06 Alergo Bus was built with a very light tan carpet. It has been horrible all these years trying to keep it clean. We did finally replace the strip down the middle with vinyl laminate but the rest of it looks terrible. I got two bids to replace but they were both around $5,000 so it hit me today! Can it be dyed? Bob
bob b
11 REPLIES 11

Larrysr1957
Explorer
Explorer
Yes carpet can be dyed. But you are much better off replacing it. Because the dye does not absorb evenly on used carpet then you are worse off then before. I would recommend you locate a carpet installer in your area he can measure your unit to see how much carpet you need. You purchase the flooring from a local store (low price 30oz carpet with 6lb. Pad is all you need ) i did my 36 ft coach carpet and vinyl for $1200. Your local carpet stores or Loweโ€™s can give you the names of good installers. If you have any questions you can ask me.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that previous thread that I mentioned covering this same topic contained a test to determine if the specific carpet was dyable from the company selling the dye.
bumpy

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Find a spot underneath something and do a test. many ,many years ago , I moved into an apartment while waiting to get a home purchase done and the carpet was a very light color with stains. I bought some dye and applied it with a carpet shampoo machine. Actually turned ok pretty good, at least for the time I was there.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
only nylon and wool are dye-friendly.

Dye used must be 'carpet dye' NOT Fabric dye

Light colored carpet can be dyed darker
Dark color carpet can be dyed same/darker

We had living room and 2 slide outs recarpeted plus new flooring in kitchen area (new padding/carpet/edge of slide out carpet had binding done

We went to carpet/flooring shop and bought the material then had independent carpet layers do the install
Cost for material/labor roughly $2k

Living room....10' x 8'
Slide outs....3' x 5' and 3' x 4'
Kitchen floor....5' x 6'
Plus we had a left over section we had them make into a runner... 2' x 10'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just have a party and serve lots of red wine.....Done!....:B...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you can put in (or get someone to put in) carpet tiles, such as are commonly used in commercial settings. I'd imagine that might be easier than laying and stretching traditional carpeting around all the bits and pieces in an RV. The factory generally puts the carpeting and/or vinyl down before building the cabinetry, etc. on top.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
what rv dealer gave you that price. stop in at a couple well known carpet shops.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you stain it? If so you can dye it. (Dye is just a stain you want).

In the apartment I moved into it appears they used stainmaster cause so far it's not stained. Now I do admit when I make a boo boo I grab the spot lifter real fast but. Still nothing statins it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
MountainAir05 wrote:
Most carpet are dyed and then heat set. I think you should go to some one else and get prices. Neighbor just had his 40 foot done for just under $1500 and that was stainmaster brand.

Agreed. I could carpet my entire house for under $5k. Sounds like someone bid so high because they didn't want the job.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most carpet are dyed and then heat set. I think you should go to some one else and get prices. Neighbor just had his 40 foot done for just under $1500 and that was stainmaster brand.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do a search, carpet dying was discussed a little while back.
bumpy