Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: F53 Shock Suggestions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> F53 Shock Suggestions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
PCronin68

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2014 Bounder 34b and have upgraded various chassis items like steering stabilizer and rear trac bar. Its time to replace the stock shocks. On certain roads the frontend bounces all around. What do you suggest and is it a do it yourself job? Seems there is access to shocks and bolts.

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect your factory shocks are Bilsteins. When I looked into swapping mine on my 2016 I emailed Bilstein and they told me the stock shocks were made to Ford specs, where their replacements were not and should provide a better ride. I had them installed and do believe they are better, by how much? ?

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/10/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shocks are always a personal choice. The Bilsteins are gas charged which means there is always a certain amount of resistance to even the smallest bump or road joint. I took off my Bilsteins and replaced them with Koni FSD shocks which are NOT gas charged. They do a much better job with the small bumps and road joints and do not transmit that jolt back through the steering wheel. Both the Bilsteins and the Koni shocks did just as well on the large bumps and potholes.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Shocks are always a personal choice. The Bilsteins are gas charged which means there is always a certain amount of resistance to even the smallest bump or road joint. I took off my Bilsteins and replaced them with Koni FSD shocks which are NOT gas charged. They do a much better job with the small bumps and road joints and do not transmit that jolt back through the steering wheel. Both the Bilsteins and the Koni shocks did just as well on the large bumps and potholes.

I did the same and like the Koni over the Bilsteins. I replaced 4 year old Bilsteins. The Koni's do indeed ride smoother.

Al

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine has the Koni FSD and coupled with Sumos front and rear the ride is up there with a DP. it floats down the road and all but the worst roads are transferred into the chassis. comparing to my buddy`s 2017 his rides like a brick and you feel every pebble in the road. We put Sumos on the front of his and it smoothed it out some, but it still rides hard even with 90 psi in the tires.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/21 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to add that I replaced only the front shocks with the Konis. The rears are still the Bilsteins, and now, when we say, go over an expansion joint it's bam....bam. A rather large difference. I'll change the rears sometime this spring.

Al

PCronin68

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks...do it yourself project?

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/21 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they are a DIY project if you have the tools and a way to elevate the coach. The Bilsteins, being gas charged, are a little tougher because you are fighting the gas resistance to get them aligned top and bottom on the mounts. The Koni shocks can be compressed easily to align perfectly with the mounts and they will stay in that position while you install them.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had an F53 based MH, I swapped out the original shocks for Monroe's .... made a world of difference.

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PCronin68 wrote:

Thanks...do it yourself project?

Yes if you are physically able and have the tools. 3/4" drive sockets, breaker bar and combo wrench will work best but you can get by with 1/2" tools. Also someway to lift and safely hold the coach up (such as jack stands) if you need the room. Torque requirements are 220--300 foot pounds, I think so verify before you start.

BTW I have Koni shocks which replaced the gas charged Bilsteins. The softer ride was noticeable. One of the better "bank for the buck" improvements.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> F53 Shock Suggestions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.